New Florida Mooney pilot(s)

TheStig

Hello, I'm joining this group with my wife as well. We just brought our new Mooney baby home to Melbourne this weekend from the West Coast. Now are are itching to take a local trip as we get used to what Florida has for day-trip, lunch destinations and beyond. We are new to the Ovation and need a little more time before we head to the Keys, the Bahamas and beyond. 

Any suggestions of interesting places here in the state are very welcome.

Cheers!

Stig

• Like 1

So, not quite Florida, but very close over the border into Georgia (a short flight in your Ovation!) is Saint Simons Island (KSSI), which is a great destination by itself, but there's also a great BBQ place that is a 1/4 mile away and easily walkable from the FBO.  (Which is incredibly friendly)

Would also greatly recommend St. Augustine (KSGJ)... cheap fuel, and Uber/Lyft to Old Town.  Great day trip.

St. Pete-Albert Whitted (KSPG) is right on the water and right next to the excellent Salvador Dali museum, and around great walkable restaurants and shops.  Also the Dale Chihuly glass blowing studio and gallery is nearby.

Once you get more experience in your Mooney (and if you feel you can get onto a 2400 foot runway safely with no room for error), Cedar Key (KCDK) is legendary and is a great walkable area.

Stop by Orlando Executive (KORL) and Uber/Lyft a few blocks over to see our great downtown area near Lake Eola.  Tons of great food and shops.

The Florida Keys (KEYW and KMTH) are no big challenge, I wouldn't hesitate to visit them soon.  Nice, long runways and not terribly busy or complex.  The Bahamas is more of a challenge, mainly for paperwork reasons.

• Like 1

Ryan just about summed it up. I would also urge you to fly to the Keys, great scenery and a short hop for you in an Ovation. Marathon has many great restaurants for a quick lunch.

After mastering your short field skills at Cedar Key, head down to Everglades City and visit the stone crab capital of the world.

I too highly recommend KSPG, the on-field restaurant is excellent and affords a birds eye view of the airport. And as Ryan said, it's right downtown, so no need to get a ride anywhere.

Once everything clears up and the events resume, plan to join the monthly Florida Mooney Luncheon to meet other owners from around the state.

@Jim Peace That might be very interesting. YOu're taking your plane to PJ? I've been talking to him as well and will be dropping mine there as soon as we figure out the deets and I told him I would need to figure a ride back (and return). 

What are you having done to your plane? Annual or something? He mentioned he will have two planes in there next week. One must be yours.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

@Jim Peace That might be very interesting. YOu're taking your plane to PJ? I've been talking to him as well and will be dropping mine there as soon as we figure out the deets and I told him I would need to figure a ride back (and return). 

What are you having done to your plane? Annual or something? He mentioned he will have two planes in there next week. One must be yours.

annual and new tires etc

Thank you FlyBoy0681 and Ryan ORL for your tips and suggestions. We went out yesterday for our first "family trip" with the girls in the back and wife as co-pilot. It ended up being a trip around Lake Okeechobee and not much else. We were planning on stopping somewhere for lunch but I was dealing with a cybersecurity incident with one of my clients in the morning, another call at 1pm and then the girls screamed about half the flight due to turbulence and being scared. They have flown extensively in their short lives (4 & 6) flying since 2-4 weeks old and many long trips for camping (Idaho) or vacations. But they have not been in a plane since April and that was a 182 so it's been almost a year and high-wing to low wing might also contribute to their angst on this trip.

Planning a trip to Marathon for lunch maybe on the weekend (if it's not too crazy busy) to start getting accustomed to flying over water.

Looking for life vests / life preservers and such.

--Stig

• Thanks 1

If you’re going to Marathon for lunch try the Island Fish Co. about a mile down the road. The FBO has a crew car (1) if your lucky enough to get it. No need for life vests your time spent over the water in a decent is only a couple of minutes.

23 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I already have my drop off date on the schedule for April. Phil is the man - the Mooney man.

I need a couple things looked at before that but I may be looking at scheduling the annual around that time so this could still work. I think mine is due in May so maybe we figure something out where I drop you back home, then we go get yours, mine goes in, and then you give me a ride home and back to get it?

7 hours ago, buddy said:

No need for life vests your time spent over the water in a decent is only a couple of minutes.

Particularly agree for the flight to Marathon.  Water on the Gulf side of the Keys is generally only a few feet deep and quite warm.  In fact many places you could probably touch the bottom easily.  Boating on the Gulf Side can be quite hazardous if you don't watch out for all the shallows and channel markers.  It does get a bit deeper on the Gulf side near Marathon but you're never much gliding distance from very shallow water.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, TheStig said:

Thank you FlyBoy0681 and Ryan ORL for your tips and suggestions. We went out yesterday for our first "family trip" with the girls in the back and wife as co-pilot. It ended up being a trip around Lake Okeechobee and not much else. We were planning on stopping somewhere for lunch but I was dealing with a cybersecurity incident with one of my clients in the morning, another call at 1pm and then the girls screamed about half the flight due to turbulence and being scared. They have flown extensively in their short lives (4 & 6) flying since 2-4 weeks old and many long trips for camping (Idaho) or vacations. But they have not been in a plane since April and that was a 182 so it's been almost a year and high-wing to low wing might also contribute to their angst on this trip.

Planning a trip to Marathon for lunch maybe on the weekend (if it's not too crazy busy) to start getting accustomed to flying over water.

Looking for life vests / life preservers and such.

--Stig

Cyber security sucks—:) sorry to hear the family units weren’t enjoying the flight. Suggest 

keep them going often though because the summer can be a rough go with the Florida summer build up for turbulence. 

8 hours ago, TheStig said:

Man, very jealous. What a day for that flight and yes, appreciate the PIREP!!

Great trip today. The air was calm and cool. Marathon General Aviation did have a crew car available and we drove to Keys Fisheries, which is a joint three miles from the airport. It's self serve and has great food. The other recommendation is Island Fish Company, which has table service and is just as good. We went to Fisheries just for a change of pace.

Flew down the coast at 500 feet then climbed to 2,500 past South Beach.

IMG_5143.JPG

IMG_5141.JPG

IMG_5149.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in the western panhandle now, but used to be based in Brooksville, then Zephyrhills for a short while.

One of my favorite destinations then and now is also shared by many- Williston, (X60), close to Ocala.  Easy in and out, great little restaurant on the field owned by a nice couple, and superb gas prices, too.  Makes for a nice refuel or food stop if you’re headed to or from Cedar Key or points north or west, or just hungry.  (Once flew there in a jump seat on a Challenger just so we could fill up the jet and get a great hamburger.  But that’s another story....)

Another popular choice on the east coast is Ft Pierce, with the Tiki Restaurant on the field and plenty to do in that area as well.  I had some avionics work done there several years ago and liked the field, the area and the restaurant. 

If any of you guys ever get the urge for great barbecue, message me and tell me if you’re coming up to 1J0, I’ll pick you up and we can get some barbecue in Bonifay. Some of the best you’ll ever get is at M&W, open Tuesday thru Friday.  

I live in the western panhandle now, but used to be based in Brooksville, then Zephyrhills for a short while.
One of my favorite destinations then and now is also shared by many- Williston, (X60), close to Ocala.  Easy in and out, great little restaurant on the field owned by a nice couple, and superb gas prices, too.  Makes for a nice refuel or food stop if you’re headed to or from Cedar Key or points north or west, or just hungry.  (Once flew there in a jump seat on a Challenger just so we could fill up the jet and get a great hamburger.  But that’s another story....)
Another popular choice on the east coast is Ft Pierce, with the Tiki Restaurant on the field and plenty to do in that area as well.  I had some avionics work done there several years ago and liked the field, the area and the restaurant. 
If any of you guys ever get the urge for great barbecue, message me and tell me if you’re coming up to 1J0, I’ll pick you up and we can get some barbecue in Bonifay. Some of the best you’ll ever get is at M&W, open Tuesday thru Friday.  

Re Ft Pierce: Tiki and self serve pump is closed till further notice.
Ft Pierce also has a variety of maintenance options: paint, interior, and a shop that does major sheet metal work; planes arrive in pieces and leave looking new, usually bigger planes but I saw they worked on a Mooney.