Rattle-can paint match?

PeytonM

1989 J. I am looking for recommendations for an “over-the-counter” paint for “Really White” base on my plane. Overall the paint is generally very good for a 30+ years old plane, except for some chafing on gear doors and a couple tail fairings. I’ve looked into custom aerosols, but there’s no paint code in my Airframe Logbook. The Illustrated Parts Manual has a Mooney Part# for Pratt & Lambert paint, but no paint code. I’ve reached out to Mooney, too.  

I just need it to be a closer match than the Rustoleum Gloss White I tried; it was too white!  Ideas, please, and thank you much!

Why over the counter.  Try a small cup of Matterhorn white from local aircraft paint shop.  Probably charge you nothing.  maybe $20   No shops around, good excuse to fly-in and do your touch ups. The SM does list the colors used each model covered in the SM.  Get some anti-chafe tape too.   

24 minutes ago, KB4 said:

Why over the counter.  Try a small cup of Matterhorn white from local aircraft paint shop.  Probably charge you nothing.  maybe $20   No shops around, good excuse to fly-in and do your touch ups. The SM does list the colors used each model covered in the SM.  Get some anti-chafe tape too.   

It’s not been my experience that a paint shop will do anything inexpensively. You'll likely have better luck pulling a gear door and taking it to a respected auto body shop for a pint of touch up.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

Some NAPA auto parts stores have a paint dept. When matching, make sure that they have a camera device that comes up with an exact match. Some places use a color key for auto colors and come up with the closest match to a standard color which won’t be an exact match. Paint shops can put the paint in a rattle can. You will have to decide what kind of paint you want. The original is a 2K polyurethane which requires a hardener. (Actually, you can use it without the hardener, but it will not be nearly as durable). You can also get a one part enamel. It’s best to paint an entire panel as it’s very hard to get a good blend with polyurethanes since airplanes are not clear coated.

There are lots of MS threads about doing this if you search a bit.

Skip

• Like 1

On my airplane and a buddy's Cherokee we both found that the Ford "Oxford White" is a pretty close match.   On my airplane you can tell the touch-up spots don't match if you're really close, but from more than about twelve feet it's not noticable.   I get it at auto parts stores off the shelf in rattle cans.

The two airplanes in question:

No photo description available.

11 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Funny, my log book says my a/c was painted "Cessna White".  I guess that's a recognized color?  Based on a few poorly applied touch-ups, it looks like someone in the past found a rattle-can that matched it very closely.

For many years, Cessna used "Vestal White" and Piper used "Juneau White". Not sure what they are using now.

Skip