Looking for advice. Should I consider the M20 for weekend flights to the UP?

sakosky1

On 2/23/2021 at 2:24 AM, sakosky1 said:

It seems that a common recommendation is if I'm going Mooney, to jump right in and skip the Cessna or Piper idea.  I like the idea, but practically, that means finding just about the cheapest M20 I can find and trading up later on to get longer legs, more speed, and capability.  All things considered, might be the best route.  Put off the upgrade until I can afford a bird with FIKI.  By that time my experience level might be getting to the point that I'd consider flying in weather that might have some use of it.  I do best when I have a multi-year roadmap, so having an idea of what the practical capabilities and reasonable use cases of the various models helps me plan it all out.  Obviously I don't even have my IFR yet, so early days with what ever plane I end up with would be fair weather and conservative IFR.  With that thought in mind.  How do the earlier models fair with cold (non-icing) and with warmer IFR?  How are the newer birds with FIKI in winter IFR?

I was in a similar(ish) situation recently. 110hr TT no IR and looking for building time, experience, and travel. I decided to get a M20J and love it. Its not my forever plane and I went looking for it to be with me for ~10 yrs, but it fit my budget and mission now and I'll do some upgrades along the way until my family grows out of it (if we ever do) or my plane budget grows to accommodate what I truly want (a new Ovation Ultra *cough *cough but who wouldn't want one?) 

I am getting settled into my plane and will get my IR in it this year. I'm on the east coast and don't do any flying with icing conditions. I've found it to be a phenomenal machine so far. One thing I would ask you before you go full tilt Mooney is what you family situation looks like in the next 2-5 years? Do you have 1-2 kids and looking to add more (need a 6 seater) or no kids now but might add one soon want 2 total or know you want 3-4, maybe look at the Cherokee 6-300.

if you want to make LONG trips in one go there are plenty of MSers who have done it, the one that comes to mind is 201er with his J. So the right setup can make just about anything happen. 

Also consider time in type has a large effect on insurance rates, yes complex time and HP time (if applicable) but when I spoke to my insurance rep recently they mentioned time in type as a major player in their formula. Now yes this becomes a lower factor as your TT increases, but for us low TT pilots with no IR it can mean 100's per year (so an extra trip :) ) 

I went with my Mooney because I knew that's where I would end up and I found the one in budget. I decided that I would not be as happy with the performance of anything else and why spend time building hours that would not help me as much (time in type) in the long run. Remember you get what you pay for too. I wouldn't look for the cheapest one you can find because there is typically always a good market for them and they don't depreciate like a brand new car would when you leave the lot. I'm not calling them an investment to earn money on either. 

Sorry if this rambled a bit, but I'm a planner to the extreme with a 5,10,20 yr plan and different one based on how events start to unfold. I'm a guy that likes to spend time thinking about things well before hand then just enact a plan when things happen. 

- Naïve new owner, PT

I respectfully disagree.  Here's my non-FIKI system.  Seems to look about the same.  As I said before, the only TKS System, of the four I've flown behind, that ever failed on me in icing was the the FIKI one.  They both work well but in all honesty, the one on my Lancair works far better the FIKI one on our Bonanza.
Tom

989373062_LancairTKS1-15-19F.thumb.jpg.9926189f5ae56964a6033b6be4453e47.jpg
2091452780_LancairTKS1-15-19A.thumb.jpg.004df1cb416995b873ae954785f93e35.jpg
1102316146_LancairTKS1-15-19C.thumb.jpg.a0cb2e9ac7637fdef86a285877f456b7.jpg
451490193_LancairTKS1-15-19D.thumb.jpg.dd63069144e6708bfd815d87f02f4954.jpg
1456228978_LancairTKS1-15-19E.thumb.jpg.c850b22d4a059c5536ac1f774e115297.jpg

Yeah, I feel most comfortable with having FIKI. I suppose inadvertent TKS can be just as effective but has the issues of shorter duration of use if the tank is smaller and lack of pump and alternator redundancy. I think it’s a personal risk management decision and technically flying into known ice isn’t officially approved with inadvertent systems... unless there is something about your system that I’m not aware of.

You have the advantage of being able to shoot thru icing with your particular Lancair...which changes your risk calculation maybe?

In any event, I’m happy to have any TKS and it has made winter flying more fun and I haven’t had to cancel any flights so far. Just one divert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk