Just an intro.

Jocbay

Hello all,

Old rusty vfr pilot ready to go flying again. And since have been in love with Mooneys since I first flew one oh say 25 years ago, I figure this is the place for me.  I'm now looking for a model C-J.  Something I can get into and possibly out of without having too much at stake.  I have secured a hanger (no easy feat) and am ready for the plane.

I have been lurking here for about 2 years so I feel I have gained a good bit of knowledge, but no experience.  One should not confuse the two. 

I'll be using the plane a bit for business (I own the company so no one can holler at me if I don't show), but mostly for pleasure.  300-600nm trips seem appropriate.  I do reside in the intermountain west (SW Montana at DLN), so without a turbo and an IR, I'll have to pick my flying days.  No biggie, I'm actually semi retired ish.

As I have said, I have learned a lot here and feel I actually know a few of y'all.  Thank you all for sharing your wit and wisdom.

jb

PS If anyone has a nice C-J they are willing to part with, please do let me know.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard JB. Lurker turned contributor. There are several similar posts of recent, people looking. All the usual responses.  Good thing you’re retired, it will be a part time job of savage hunting. Quick on the hop, learn what you’re looking for as quickly as possible, go look at some to know what you’re NOT looking for. I spent 8 months hunting every day before mine popped up in 2018. Every day, 2-3 times per day, calling, writing, looking, emailing etc. knowing precisely (within reason) what your looking for helps. Or, hire a broker to do that work for you. 

That was my experience anyway. 

• Like 2

Welcome out in the open john!

What type of business are you semi-retired from?

Any machine buying or house or building buying experience with that?

Some of that experience can carry over into GA plane buying...

The rest you can pick up by watching others go through the experience.. around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Welcome!  Find out specifically what you will be looking for so when you see the unicorn, you can spot it and jump on it. 

There is a recently bellied C at CDA...  It already has a 1 piece belly from a prior gear up landing.  Poor plane, just can't seem to find it's landing gear.  Anyhow, I understand it will be rebuilt again and sold...  Not sure what your time frame is.

welcome John...you are fortunate to be based at KDLN..Randy at dillion flying service is a very experienced CFI.....maybe not Mooney specific (he has flown in my Bravo)I assume you have been able to rent a hangar there.If possible try to aquire a turbocharged model ..pretty mountainous terrrain and afternoon summer buildups easily top 15k.Good luck in your search and enquire with Randy about upset training in his Extra 300L

On 2/21/2021 at 7:32 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome out in the open john!

What type of business are you semi-retired from?

Any machine buying or house or building buying experience with that?

Some of that experience can carry over into GA plane buying...

The rest you can pick up by watching others go through the experience.. around here...

Best regards,

-a-

Weed, I grow weed.  In interest of full disclosure.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 2/24/2021 at 10:28 AM, thinwing said:

welcome John...you are fortunate to be based at KDLN..Randy at dillion flying service is a very experienced CFI.....maybe not Mooney specific (he has flown in my Bravo)I assume you have been able to rent a hangar there.If possible try to aquire a turbocharged model ..pretty mountainous terrrain and afternoon summer buildups easily top 15k.Good luck in your search and enquire with Randy about upset training in his Extra 300L

I saw the 300 today.  That thing is so slick it makes our Mooneys look like flying boxcars.  And Yes Randy certainly knows his stuff.  I'm gonna do some reacquaintance work with him before I start transition... to my new 201!!! (i'm so excited)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, john buhrman said:

Weed, I grow weed.  In interest of full disclosure.

Pretty sure MooneySpace has a strict policy on selling outside of of the Vendor or Classified section, being new and all, thought I’d mention it. :D

• Haha 3

On 2/21/2021 at 1:31 PM, john buhrman said:

SW Montana at DLN

On 2/21/2021 at 7:33 PM, merlin said:

Columbus, MT 6S3 based here with M20-F

We need to plan a MT fly-in once spring, or I mean summer since I have no idea which day spring will be this year.  I'm based in Helena with my F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

We need to plan a MT fly-in once spring, or I mean summer since I have no idea which day spring will be this year.  I'm based in Helena with my F.

Absolutely!

On 3/1/2021 at 12:46 PM, kpaul said:

Awesome!  Nice to know there's another F nearby.  Definitely will plan a little get-together this summer.