arinc 429 data

Cruiser

Upgraded from a Garmin 430W which was working fine in the plane. 

Slide in replacement of Avidyne IFD440 gives this advisory. 429 data not rcvd
The manual says "Contact the Avidyne Service Center for service"

Everything seems to be working what should I look for failure wise. 

44 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

Upgraded from a Garmin 430W which was working fine in the plane. 

Slide in replacement of Avidyne IFD440 gives this advisory. 429 data not rcvd
The manual says "Contact the Avidyne Service Center for service"

Everything seems to be working what should I look for failure wise. 

And your sure you configured the same ports the same way as the old 430W?

If everything is still working despite the error, perhaps you have the a 429 interface configured on a unused port? If you have the original 430W port mapping, that should tell you what is using that 429 port?

Check the fine print on the slide in replacement aspect...

In case one or two of the WAAS related pins is not the same...

When it was new... it was kind of a slide in replacement where most of the pins were a direct match...

But the waas antenna was an obvious not perfectly slide in replacement...

Avidyne has a pretty powerful website with a forum that might be helpful...

Find out what is transferred using the Arinc 429.... see if there is anything obvious there...

We have Chase’s partner around here ....  @bmcconnaha (is this your area of expertise?) :)

PP guesses at best... good luck!

Best regards,

-a-

there is only one ARINC 429 line from the Aspen to the GPS. We checked the GNS 430W configuration settings before removal. Installed the IFD440 and set the ARINC 429 configuration the same. #1  Low  - Honeywell EFIS, 429 out  Low  -  GAMA Graphics w/Int the same as the old GNS 430W configuration.

Turn on the power and we get the 429 data not rcvd error every time. Flew the airplane and everything seems to be working ok 

@Cruiser While it is not the "official" installation manual, the AeroNav KSN 780/8XX/9XX installation manual for helicopters is on the Bendix King manual download site. It shows all of the configuration pages, field selections, and options. While it is not specific to the Avidyne box, it is the same under the covers, and I cannot believe they would have done more than change the faceplate and bezel. I did use it when troubleshooting problems with my installation, and it is where I found all of the very slight variations from what my GNS had.

Worst case scenario, you can read it at night to put yourself to sleep...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chriscalandro said:

There’s a 429 for gps and a 429 for radio nav. You need to know which one is giving you the error. 

my money is on a config issue. 

I agree it is likely a configuration issue but that error message seems to me that it is for an A429 input, not the two outputs you mention.

37 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

I agree it is likely a configuration issue but that error message seems to me that it is for an A429 input, not the two outputs you mention.

There are 2 ARINC on the 440 and there should be 2 into the aspen. 

One of them does GPS, the other does Nav radio. They both need to be wired and configured independently. 

There are 5 ARINC recieve on the aspen. 2 of those need to be hooked up to the 440. Which 2 are used?

there is 1 transmit on the aspen. That needs to go to both inputs on the 440. 

either someone screwed up the old radio install, or you have it configured wrong. 

BD3B0911-8CEA-4652-920A-C9327B0E2C83.png

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Thanks 1

Background......

This airplane was upgraded from steam/analog six pack gauges to an Aspen E5 some time ago. Garmin 430W provided the GPS inputs. This plane flew without issue and the owner managed to do his IFR training and passed his IFR check ride without any issues. 

The Aspen E5 and GNS 430W are also connected to an S-TEC System 30 autopilot with Alt hold. Everything works. 

Recently the Aspen E5 was upgraded to a fully functioning Aspen EFD1000 MAX. The E5 was removed and the new EFD1000 installed. There were not changes to the wiring the swap was made and everything worked . 

Now, the Garmin GNS430W is swapped out and replaced with the Avidyne IFD440. The old 430W removed from the tray and the new IFD440 slides into the same tray. The configuration from the old 430W was copied and the new IFD440 setup the same way. ---- 429 data error on startup. 

Update. ....

The Aspen to Garmin 430W ARINC 429 line (two wires) are connected to pins 50 and 51 (Channel #2) in the GPS connector. They have always been that way. So what does the 429 data from the Aspen to the GPS do ? Evidently this programming error was made on the Garmin install and there is no apparent problem in operations. We never would have know if the Avidyne did not report the error. 

1 hour ago, Cruiser said:

Background......

This airplane was upgraded from steam/analog six pack gauges to an Aspen E5 some time ago. Garmin 430W provided the GPS inputs. This plane flew without issue and the owner managed to do his IFR training and passed his IFR check ride without any issues. 

The Aspen E5 and GNS 430W are also connected to an S-TEC System 30 autopilot with Alt hold. Everything works. 

Recently the Aspen E5 was upgraded to a fully functioning Aspen EFD1000 MAX. The E5 was removed and the new EFD1000 installed. There were not changes to the wiring the swap was made and everything worked . 

Now, the Garmin GNS430W is swapped out and replaced with the Avidyne IFD440. The old 430W removed from the tray and the new IFD440 slides into the same tray. The configuration from the old 430W was copied and the new IFD440 setup the same way. ---- 429 data error on startup. 

Update. ....

The Aspen to Garmin 430W ARINC 429 line (two wires) are connected to pins 50 and 51 (Channel #2) in the GPS connector. They have always been that way. So what does the 429 data from the Aspen to the GPS do ? Evidently this programming error was made on the Garmin install and there is no apparent problem in operations. We never would have know if the Avidyne did not report the error. 

again,

Those 2 wire also need to go to 35/36.

On the Dynon ARINC they conveniently split the ARINC out into 2 pins on the connector.  Not sure about the Aspen, but the ARINC out of the Aspin to the input of the 440 needs to go both places - GPS and VOR.  The 2 outputs from the 440 will go to independent inputs of the Aspen.

The Same TX from the Aspen talks to 2 inputs of the 440.  the individual outputs of the 440 talk to the individual RX of the aspen.

Sounds like someone messed up the installation.

image.png.7ae47301d817d27f4861f172509bfc54.png

3 hours ago, Cruiser said:

Update. ....

The Aspen to Garmin 430W ARINC 429 line (two wires) are connected to pins 50 and 51 (Channel #2) in the GPS connector. They have always been that way. 

Is it going to both sets of pins on the 440 or only the set you stated. (50 and 51)

if those are the only 2 arinc pins connected and they are not connected with the other pins I mentioned, it is NOT hooked up correctly and that is why you are getting a missing data message.  because it doesn't have data on one of the inputs...

Edited by chriscalandro

Does. Your. 440. Have. Wire. On. Pins. 35. And. 36. 

no?

Then it’s wired wrong. 

The 440 needs to have ARINC wired to BOTH inputs or you will will not be receiving ARINC data on half of the unit.  That’s. What. Those. Errors. Are. 

I don’t care what that drawing says, it has NOTHING to do with the errors you are getting on the 440. It is showing you how to wire to GNAV only. Don’t base your 440 wiring on the drawing for some unrelated piece of equipment that isn’t the 440. 

Edited by chriscalandro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...