500 hours on a J

Tim Jodice

I have just over 500 hours in my 1990 J. Off the top of my head, in the time that I've owned her I've had:

Fuel tanks resealed, 

Battery replaced,

Vacuum pump replaced,

Mechanical AI overhauled,

Mags overhauled,

Front engine seal replaced,

Baffle seals replaced,

An elevator push rod replaced,

Nose gear truss replaced,

Electric trim repaired multiple times,

Master switch replaced,

Avionics blower replaced,

And the plane is in the shop now having the windows replaced - I guess that's more of an upgrade than maintenance.

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of items. There of course have been a while bunch of oil changes and multiple annual inspections...

Steve

4 hours ago, 201er said:

Wait till you have to do the no back clutch spring :wacko:

that was a big thing on my mind. I spoke to Robert at Lasar Friday. They charge 1700-2200 installed depending on what else is needed. 

Fortunately mine has been done before and I still have until next annual before I should have it done. 

Sneaking up on 500 hours here.   I had the panel redone, and after that had the attitude indicator overhauled when it failed.   Replaced a battery, replaced the prop governor, had the fuel servo overhauled, had the flow divider overhauled, fixed a broken field wire on the alternator, fixed some cracks in the cowling, fixed a faulty repair on a cowl flap, fixed a hinge on a cowl flap, bled the brake on the right side after rebuilding the right master cylinder, replaced the brake pads, replaced a sump valve, replaced the o-rings in the fuel caps, fixed a few small tank leaks, replaced all the lower spark plugs, etc.  Probably forgot some stuff.   The magneto is due for 500 hour inspection soon.    Did a lot of other stuff, too, but everything else was optional upgrades rather than addressing maintenance.

After close to 20 years of ownership, nearly all of the above over periods of time. Over the last 500 hours (apart from upgrades)  have mostly been the usual AD’s, plus wear and tear items picked up at annuals. Also fuel tank leaks and a recent valve guide / valve replacement.

Stuff happens and we can’t avoid wear and tear. Keep ahead of maintenance and your bird will love you for it.

This just what I can remember doing over the past 5 years. Being the caretaker of my J has been expensive, but I do not regret spending one penny. 

• Rebuild alternator
  • New Skytec starter
  • LASAR rebuild-upgrade nose truss, pucks,and steering horn
  • LASAR service jack screw
  • Landing light
  • Broken alternator field wire terminal
  • Replace elevator push tube damaged by improper length belly screw 
  • Repair electric trim switch
  • Attitude indicator rebuild
  • Autopilot repairs
  • Replace #1 comm antenna and run all new cables to both comm antennas
  • Tires and tubes
  • Brakes
  • Bleeding brakes and parking brake system again
  • Repair gear doors
  • Intake tube gaskets
  • Remove Ram air
  • New seat rollers
  • Baffle seals
  • EGT sensor for ship and JPI
  • Dual mag failure requiring replacement
  • Vacuum pump
  • Multiple avionics and panel upgrades
  • New battery
  • Engine rebuild 2020

I flew my J for 10 years and about 1200hrs here are the majors, just about everything.  It had 1400 on the engine and about 3700 on the airframe when I bought it.

Engine, Prop x2, both mags x2, resealed 1 tank, 2 starters, 1 Vac Pump, stall warning switch, 1 alternator, Lasar nose truss, gear pucks, Paint, interior and a bunch of little stuff like electrical gremlins, tires, brakes ect.  Totally worth it I loved my time in that plane!

Edited by Jeev
  • Like 1