Advice Rating System... Kinda

211º

1 hour ago, gacoon said:

Are you ADSB out, if so run an ADSB check and see if its working.  I have a J model and fly in both SEA and PHX are and all flights are tagged by Flightware

I am, both aircraft have GDL-82's, I've pulled random reports on both aircraft, I flew a buddies Ovation with either a 650 or 750 and all three legs of the flight showed up. ATC has never said anything going into or through Charlie and no nasty letters from the FAA...not real worried about it, just wondering why they show up every once in a while 

22 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Otherwise... I really don't use it at all. One problem/reason is that there is some Baron in Mississippi or Tennessee that is squawking my N number on FlightAware all the time. It's really annoying.

Maybe he secretly wants to ditch the Baron and get a "K" and has a funny way of showing it....?

:-)

• Haha 2

If someone looked at my flight time and distance this last year, I would show as a complete genius and someone to listen to.  However, I assure you that this is probably not true.  Yes, I flew a lot.  But I still consider myself a newbie with a ton to learn.

Just like a lot of things in life, experience and credibility, which are qualitative, can be approximated, but not quantified by using some numbers and metrics. Someone can gain x hours of flight time but the quality of their experience will vary immensely whether they spent all that time doing touch and goes at their local Class G airport versus trekking around the country into cities big and small, altitudes low and high, VMC and IMC, you name it... And then even if they've checked all the "to do" boxes aforementioned, it really boils down to their aptitude to absorb those experiences and to learn from them. I've been spending the last few months shuttling back and forth between TX and VA and on every trip, I learn something that makes me realize how little I know.

Pulling someone's flight data has its limitations. For all that's worth, I could be an absolute dingus and yet my flight info could be picture-perfect because I kept the plane on autopilot from takeoff to touchdown. As discussed previously on this thread, Flightaware's info is mostly sourced from its own users (those with ground receivers mounted on rooftops, etc.) so the coverage is largely dependent on how many feeders there are in the location. Since most ground receivers are for 1090Mhz only, 978MHz planes usually get left in the dark in a lot of areas. I used to be a mechanic for a flying club with two 172's - one had a GDL88 UAT and the other had an Appareo transponder, and the latter plane would almost always show up on Flightaware whereas the former only really showed up if it was either (a) high up enough for distant UAT receivers to pick it up, or (b) on flight following.

As for myself, I try to keep my tail number anonymous on this forum out of respect for the airplane's owner. One day when I own my own Mooney, then sure, have at it. :lol:

• Like 1

I have requested my tail number be blocked because I don't want the local ne'er-do-well's to know when we're away from home (or worse, the wife is home alone).  Not all tracking websites honor the request tho, hiding behind the "public information" facade.  Of course, they make $millions$ selling the flight tracking information and have convinced average Joe's the world over to build tracking devices and provide the data to them for free, so I'm a little envious of their "money for nothing" business model.

I did something similar recently.   I have Scottsdale tower on constantly on a scanner in my office, so it's background noise to whatever I'm doing.   The Scottsdale controllers are quite good and deal with a very high traffic volume daily,  which is a mix of a lot of slow training traffic and fast jets and everything in between.   Last week somebody totally went off on one of the controllers for making them do a 360 on downwind for spacing, literally called BS, and then got further upset when she didn't respond to a non-question "advice" he was giving her.   He demanded their phone number, etc., etc.

So I looked up the tail number.   It's a Cirrus that makes about a once-a-month 15-minute flight from Scottsdale around Camelback mountain and then back to Scottsdale.

While it may not be conclusive it did kinda confirm douchebag status to me.  ;)

• Like 2

During my life I have met more than my fair share of old, experienced idiots. Being old and spending a lot of time doing something does not necessarily equal knowledge or wisdom. Some people just don't learn.

This is the internet....no telling who is on the other side typing. However, I have learned a lot about Mooneys being part of this group and I sincerely hope that I am able to give back on occasion. But I do try and refrain from typing anything unless I think it will be useful or well received. 

On 2/20/2021 at 3:13 PM, gsxrpilot said:

That's actually not a bad idea... 

My plane's been down since end of Sept. so you can ignore everything I post :P

And you haven't knocked out New Jersey and VA on your map.  Can't be trusted if you landed in almost every state but the dirty Jers. If ur ever in NE without a bird, I can get you NJ. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:46 AM, MISSILEFLYER said:

Shallow?  Agree.  Invasive?  Not really content is out in public domain.  Kind of creepy like looking at tax rolls to gain insight...but legal.  Illuminating?  Not particularly.  What if the plane is owned by multiple people?  Doesn’t just represent poster.  Judge you as a scoundrel?  Laugh at that one.  No.  Whatever floats your boat.  

All information right or wrong should not yet determined is just data.  Some is just entertainment.  Some is dangerous.  Some is flat out wrong.  Humans are fallible.  Humans have emotions and triggers and bias and opinion.

Listen and learn.

What to do. 

What NOT to do.

Wisdom can be gained from those that lack credibility.

All good in da hood.

One can often judge content by both volume and community rating.  This can be skewed by being an early member back when we had no rating system.  It can also be skewed by having multiple profiles.  By my count (profiles I know of), you have almost 8K posts on MS but a new Mooneyspacer would never know that because you're posting from a profile with less than 10 posts.  I was wondering how many profiles you have at this point.  Was@scottfromiowathe first?  If you combined all of your profiles how much content have you contributed to MS?

Edited by Shadrach

9 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

One can often judge content by both volume and community rating.  This can be skewed by being an early member back when we had no rating system.  It can also be skewed by having multiple profiles.  By my count of the profiles I know, you have almost 8K posts on MS but a new Mooneyspacer would never know that because you're posting from a profile with less than 10 posts.  I was wondering how many profiles you have at this point.  Was@scottfromiowathe first?  If you combined all of your profiles how much content have you contributed to MS?

Hi Ross,

Administrator has “cancelled me” (based on others input no doubt) multiple times.  I have a short leash no doubt based on survivors/commenters on the “mask thread”.  I value the relationships I have made on Mooneyspace so keep coming back for more.  I have gotten far more OUT of Mooneyspace than I have given over the years without question.  The technical expertise and willingness of competent/knowledgeable members to share has always been the strength of Mooneyspace.  It is a community of varied humans.  I will never walk away from a debate (to a fault) and when I experience personal attacks I respond in kind.  Some dish better than they eat?  :) 

I am not a counter of posts, but have shared my other screen names (over the years) on my profile.  Yes, ScottFromIowa was the first.  Four total screen names I believe...

My favorite cancel was for Yvves requesting in a post to “call me a whimp”...My reply?  Whimp.  Cancelled.  Eye roll/slow clap...

Question Authority.  Trust but Verify.  When personally attacked...Attack harder.  That’s all an old Light Infantry Officer knows.  Tact?  Sure, but optional.

We have a block feature.  I have only used once.  

There are baiters and trolls here...I know.

I was told All Mooney All the time...There is a thread on Covid right now.  This relates to Mooney ownership and operation how?  Masks was another recent thread that I am overjoyed to have NOT been “back” for as I think that would not have gone well.  Others did an outstanding job of calling out the hypocrisy.  Well done all.

Just for the record I believe the earth to NOT be flat.  I get my flu shot annually.  I believe in personal hygiene and know there is a right and wrong way to wash hands.  Masks?  No comment (because I live in Realsville).  (I do participate in “masks” as directed by the man.)

Always enjoy your content.  Thank you in advance for more insight and education.

Scott

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

Hi Ross,

Administrator has “cancelled me” (based on others input no doubt) multiple times.  I have a short leash no doubt based on survivors/commenters on the “mask thread”.  I value the relationships I have made on Mooneyspace so keep coming back for more.  I have gotten far more OUT of Mooneyspace than I have given over the years without question.  The technical expertise and willingness of competent/knowledgeable members to share has always been the strength of Mooneyspace.  It is a community of varied humans.  I will never walk away from a debate (to a fault) and when I experience personal attacks I respond in kind.  Some dish better than they eat?  :) 

I am not a counter of posts, but have shared my other screen names (over the years) on my profile.  Yes, ScottFromIowa was the first.  Four total screen names I believe...

My favorite cancel was for Yvves requesting in a post to “call me a whimp”...My reply?  Whimp.  Cancelled.  Eye roll/slow clap...

Question Authority.  Trust but Verify.  When personally attacked...Attack harder.  That’s all an old Light Infantry Officer knows.  Tact?  Sure, but optional.

We have a block feature.  I have only used once.  

There are baiters and trolls here...I know.

I was told All Mooney All the time...There is a thread on Covid right now.  This relates to Mooney ownership and operation how?  Masks was another recent thread that I am overjoyed to have NOT been “back” for as I think that would not have gone well.  Others did an outstanding job of calling out the hypocrisy.  Well done all.

Just for the record I believe the earth to NOT be flat.  I get my flu shot annually.  I believe in personal hygiene and know there is a right and wrong way to wash hands.  Masks?  No comment (because I live in Realsville).  (I do participate in “masks” as directed by the man.)

Always enjoy your content.  Thank you in advance for more insight and education.

Scott

It's amazing how uncivil the world is becoming in the name of civility...  I look forward to finding and reading the "mask" thread. The charade of banning someone but allowing them to create another profile each time is just silly.  It is at least less totalitarian then a total ban if not equally childish. Whether I agree or disagree, I appreciate the questioning of authority...especially in times like these.  Glad you're back.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

It's amazing how uncivil the world is becoming in the name of civility...  I look forward to finding and reading the "mask" thread. The charade of banning someone but allowing them to create another profile each time is just silly.  It is at least less totalitarian then a total ban if not equally childish. Whether I agree or disagree, I appreciate the questioning of authority...especially in times like these.  Glad you're back.

Ban the member's email address? Free addresses take about 2 minutes to set up. Viola! A new person . . . . Craig is astute enough to know this, and he runs this site as a hobby.

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

Ban the member's email address? Free addresses take about 2 minutes to set up. Viola! A new person . . . . Craig is astute enough to know this, and he runs this site as a hobby.

Yes, he is.  In fact a couple “bans” ago I received the comment “I know you will just get another email address”...

So the point is?

Appeasing the (.    ). You fill in the blank.

Just now, Shadrach said:

Agreed, which is why banning is sort of stupid in the first place.

It lets the banned person know that the displayed behavior isn't welcome. But the rest of us, not seeing the punishment, don't get the message. It can help calm things down, though, sometimes. 

I once received a "temporary vacation" from a forum for a much milder comment than many posters in the same thread were making, but definitely displaying conservative principals. Haven't been back since. 2019? 2018? No idea, no clue of how to find out when, and no interest in trying to. Or in visiting again, either.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me a little of a meandering dinner party.

The thing that made this thread click in my brain - made me jot it down - was:

1. Curiosity about other's habits with snooping on flightaware.com

2. Reading someone's advise about doing cross-country flights or something similar, then looking at their recent tracks and seeing the long list flights that started and ended at the same airport - especially for a version of our brand that can fly very high and very fast.

There have been many good and valid comments about teaching, using another airplane for the cross countries, partners using airplanes. It's been an interesting and helpful thread.  Thanks, Dave

• Like 1

Wow....

What did we learn...

1) Using flightaware doesn’t tell us very much about the person flying...

2) Using post count doesn’t say much about a person’s flying experience...

3) MS is kinda like a dinner party... you get more out than what you put in... 

4) It takes effort to put something of value in...

5) Everyone has additional value they can add...

6) MS is always about Mooneys...

7) MS is a always about flight...

8) Often MS is about speed... you might see a video of an MSer’s corvette, at speed, around road Atlanta, around here...  way cool!  Driven by a pro world sports car champion, or something similar...

9) Sometimes Safety becomes the topic of the day... you might get a discussion on the value of mask wearing, by pros in the medical industry around here... insight of what is trending in the medical community by the medical community...

10) some safety topics get approached from a non-aviation viewpoint, one MSer has a ton of industrial safety background, more OSHA than FAA... always interesting to hear the input...

11) FA doesn’t tell us a person’s background... education, experience, age, where they grew up, or how pleasant they are to speak with...

Guess you are going to have to join us at the next fly-in... to get to know the people behind the key board... they are real... they have personalities... they aren’t afraid to say hello? Or welcome aboard...

MS... a community of pilots, mechanics, students, CFIs, business owners, doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, military personnel, youtubers, avionics installers, flight simulaters, dog relocaters, patient transporters, musicians, that all live in a few different countries...on a few different continents...

Some people appreciate anonymity... and that is OK too.

:)

There is more to be gained by joining, and being part of the community...

It isn’t always easy to fit in...

Ages range from 20s to 90...

It is always easy to be misunderstood...  I get That a lot...  :)

Make a mistake, apologize, edit, try again...

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2