Surviving COVID

orionflt

On the topic of Having Covid vs, getting vaccinated...

There are reasons to get vaccinated as well...

They are technically not the same...

One is much better understood, than the other...

One is designed to protect people against further infection...

Consult a doctor for more info...

Standby, we may have one or two around here...

PP thoughts only, not a doctor...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Headache and cough for me. Then about 2 weeks of fatigue after. Total laziness with naps ever couple of hours it seemed like. I forced myself to go outside in the sun and take walks which made me fell great again. Kinda like charging a battery.  I would say it was worse than a cold but not as bad as the flew for me. I never lost taste or smell but I would get a whiff of ammonia or smoke smell occasionally. We caught it from my sons nanny. 

How did I survive Covid?

-Took a trip to Aruba that involved a flight to Miami and to Aruba. (Early March 2020)

-Took a trip to Providence RI to see our first grandchild (Mid-March 2020) No masks required on flights.  Notified by email that any travel by air would require a ten day quarantine.

-Continued to be employed while NOT doing my normal job (virtual phone conference calls from March-July 2020).

-Masks of whatever make/shape size increasingly required while “inside a business”...(Some would ALWAYS NOT WEAR MASKS and the six feet separation was confusing to most).

-Bar seating eliminated.  O.K. To sit in a booth and eat/drink without masks.  Masks of any design/shape/size now required.

-Resumed limited travel to customers with mandatory letter stating that I am symptom free and will wear mask and take temperature before appointment.  No hand shaking or discussion in close proximity. August 2020 to present.

-Know no one (family/friends) that has required medical treatment for Covid 19.  Know some that have experienced symptoms that are flu like to include temporary loss of smell/taste.

Still wondering why Covid 19 is a Mooneyspace discussion?

My take on Covid 19?  “You want the truth?  You can’t handle the truth”...

Edited by MISSILEFLYER
For Hank and posterity
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

How did I survive Covid?

-Took a trip to Aruba that involved a flight to Miami and to Aruba. (Early March 2019)

-Took a trip to Providence RI to see our first grandchild (Mid-March 2019) No masks required on flights.  Notified by email that any travel by air would require a ten day quarantine.

-Continued to be employed while NOT doing my normal job (virtual phone conference calls from March-July 2019).

-Masks of whatever make/shape size increasingly required while “inside a business”...(Some would ALWAYS NOT WEAR MASKS and the six feet separation was confusing to most).

-Bar seating eliminated.  O.K. To sit in a booth and eat/drink without masks.  Masks of any design/shape/size now required.

-Resumed limited travel to customers with mandatory letter stating that I am symptom free and will wear mask and take temperature before appointment.  No hand shaking or discussion in close proximity. August 2019 to present.

-Know no one (family/friends) that has required medical treatment for Covid 19.  Know some that have experienced symptoms that are flue like to include temporary loss of smell/taste.

My take on Covid 19?  “You want the truth?  You can’t handle the truth”...

Are you and early adopter, Scott, or should those all be 2020 dates? ;)

Here, masks are "required" but not enforceable despite orders from the governor and signs on business doors. Apparently businesses can mandate mask usage for employees and restrict visitors, but cannot require people coming in to mask up, although they can request it.

My job and hours have basically been unchanged, although the stress level has increased somewhat. My wife had seven weeks off [where she works closed for a while], and she enjoyed the extra $600/week from the Feds to go along with the typical minuscule unemployment checks from the state. She eventually got so bored that she pressure washed the outside of the house . . . .

Restaurants reopened locally with restricted seating back in the spring [April / May-ish], but this seems to be highly variable by county. The counties where I live and work are both pretty open [wear a mask in; take it off to eat & drink; put it on to visit the restroom or leave], but up by my hangar, not so much--mostly drive through or call ahead and pick up only. Some chains have a nationwide rule closing dining rooms, and some will let you inside to order but take your food away.

Only a few friends have had problems, and the main source for coworkers has been their families rather than coming in to work.

So why does pretty-much normal Florida have infection rates comparable or better than locked-down-tight, you-can't-do-that California? I dunno, and it's probably a fair statement to say that "nobody knows," but it's pretty obvious that keeping people at home, destroying businesses and torpedoing the economy didn't do them much good. Just one more reason I'm glad to not be out there.

Anyway, Shot #1 was quite like a flu shot but did begin to ache more a few hours later. A little simple shoulder exercise cleared it up, although it was tender to the touch [but not when moving my arm] for a couple of days, and flu shots have never done that. Shot #2 is due week after next. Still waiting for my wife to "qualify" for the vaccination . . . .

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Headache and cough for me. Then about 2 weeks of fatigue after. Total laziness with naps ever couple of hours it seemed like. I forced myself to go outside in the sun and take walks which made me fell great again. Kinda like charging a battery.  I would say it was worse than a cold but not as bad as the flew for me. I never lost taste or smell but I would get a whiff of ammonia or smoke smell occasionally. We caught it from my sons nanny. 

This reads like a normal week for me.  I need to exercise more.  lol

• Haha 2

Just now, MISSILEFLYER said:

I am just making s%^t up Hank.  There is a lot of that going on these days... ;) 

Like he that shall not be named in Harry Potter series I choose to banish “that year that shall not be named” into the dust bin of history...

Fun fact: My wife’s mother is one of seven children.  They had an alcoholic barber father that was loved by all.  VERY tight knit family.  They are all in 80’s now.  A year off from family re-union and Thanksgiving celebrations in “2019”...

He (father-in-law) had a heart attack this morning and is undergoing treatment...

My wife hasn’t seen either of her parents (in person) for over a year...

I am betting family will “wish they had undertaken gatherings” if one or more are not around for next authorized assembly...

Sigh...

Another Mooney flight?

We shall see.

:(

Edited by MISSILEFLYER

36 minutes ago, Hank said:

Just one more reason I'm glad to not be out there.

I know, I know, not your favorite place........ but just checking in from the left coast of the people’s republic of California......and with great empathy for others experiencing life threatening weather issues elsewhere ....... it’s nearly 80F today near Dismal (Pismo) Beach currently! I’ve got to top lowered on the car and headed to my airport soon! :D

You think it’s been cold in Texas?  Just think if you’d just landed on Mars and you’d lost power there!! :(

Also, remember this....... it was so cold in Texas last week, the lawyers had their hands in there own pockets!! :P

Happy and healthy day to all ! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

Because the community cares about each other?  Because folks are interested in the experiences of others?

It's only political if someone makes it political.  500k dead from it in the USA. You are lucky is what you are, so is everyone able to message on this board right now...some more than others. 

I've been basically hibernating since last March after visiting with my Mother in Florida for her final birthday (She died a month later, the same day I learned that the case on my IO-360 was cracked).  She was alone because of the Hospital lockdown.  I can't begin to express the sorrow of your mother dying alone during something like this.  The greatest gift that you have to give to your mother after all that she did... taken away from you...can't even describe it.  The surviving family struggled and opted to not get together (We live all over the world) for any service and risk sending my father with her. 

My work days are spent on Zoom meetings in my basement.  I'm still employee and very lucky in that regard.  My weekends are spent working on things like the plane and the house.  There are a grand total of 5-7 people that I don't mask up around in my little orbit.  I don't think we have gotten it, but  I've had some crappy feeling days...today even... but maybe that's just how life is when you have basically a year long winter...hard to tell.  We don't eat out, we don't go on trips, we are in an extended hibernation doing our part to not spread this thing because we are in a position that allows that by being able to work from home.

I know some people that have gotten it with permanent side effects. I know some people that have died from it.  I'm hoping that the vaccine rolls out fast and I'm disappointed in those that aren't going to take it and help us to build herd immunity.  If we don't squash it with nearly universal vaccine acceptance it's going to keep mutating and become like the seasonal flu virus only way way more deadly and we will all be living with this at some level for the rest of our lives. 

That's my experience and take.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Anyway, Shot #1 was quite like a flu shot but did begin to ache more a few hours later. A little simple shoulder exercise cleared it up, although it was tender to the touch [but not when moving my arm] for a couple of days, and flu shots have never done that. Shot #2 is due week after next. Still waiting for my wife to "qualify" for the vaccination . . . .

I just got my second shot yesterday.  The first made my arm sore for a few days, but nothing else.  The second was a whole lot worse.  Got the shot at 1045.  Arm hurt like hell by 1400; naproxyn helped some.  Started feeling really crappy at 2230.  Went to bed, but had a fever, headache, and the shakes bad.  Eventually fell asleep, but woke up with a horrible headache and body aches.  Fortunately, I feel better now, except for my arm.

Edited by AH-1 Cobra Pilot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I just got my second shot yesterday.  The first made my arm sore for a few days, but nothing else.  The second was a whole lot worse.  Got the shot at 1045.  Arm hurt like hell by 1400; naproxyn helped some.  Started feeling really crappy at 2230.  Went to bed, but had a fever, headache, and the shakes bad.  Eventually fell asleep, but woke up with a horrible headache and body aches.  Fortunately, I feel better now, except for my arm.

I think the reason the effective rate is so high is because it can kick our butt like this.  

I wonder... the people that are having the significant #2 vaccine reaction like this... are these the people that would have more likely died if they got the real thing?  I've read that what's killing people is often the immune system over-reacting.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for sharing.  I've been working from home for 11-1/2 months.  Most of it alone except for two old cats.   I am SO ready for this to be over.

It's real and I don't want to get it.  I'm "Captain Side-Effects".  That's my superpower.  Before I take a new drug, (rarely) I always read a drug insert because I will most likely experience one or more.  Some of them horrible.   If I ever get sick enough to need hospitalization, I'm pretty sure that they will give me something that will kill me.

I'm on a waiting list for the vaccine.   Waiting....

At least I can keep an eye on MS and see what's up in the world.

50 minutes ago, Nukemzzz said:

I think the reason the effective rate is so high is because it can kick our butt like this.  

I wonder... the people that are having the significant #2 vaccine reaction like this... are these the people that would have more likely died if they got the real thing?  I've read that what's killing people is often the immune system over-reacting.

I would always get my flu vaccine with the rest of my unit when I was on active duty.  The nasal vaccine, especially, would hit me quickly, usually within 3 hours.  The rest would have the same effect, but usually 10-12 hours later.

I would not read too much into these effects, since they may be an artifact from the "inert" ingredients, rather than from the "active" ones.

I'm really fortunate that I still have a job.  We went remote with classes last March, will likely be so until Spring Semester next year, possibly fall of 2022.  I haven't been out to eat since since the weather turned cold, and we only went out a couple times before that.  I only go out for stuff I really need, food and booze, always masked.  Haven't flown anywhere except to get gas and do landings. Life in the time of COVID has sucked.  Still, I'll keep doing this until I get my six vaccinated.  At the rate things have been going I could die of old age first.

I feel horribly for those who have lost their livelihoods.  Those won't be coming back any time soon, some possibly not at all.    I feel even worse for the dead.  I think anything that robs a half million of my fellow Americans of their lives deserves to be on Mooneyspace.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nukemzzz said:

Because the community cares about each other?  Because folks are interested in the experiences of others?

It's only political if someone makes it political.  500k dead from it in the USA. You are lucky is what you are, so is everyone able to message on this board right now...some more than others. 

I've been basically hibernating since last March after visiting with my Mother in Florida for her final birthday (She died a month later, the same day I learned that the case on my IO-360 was cracked).  She was alone because of the Hospital lockdown.  I can't begin to express the sorrow of your mother dying alone during something like this.  The greatest gift that you have to give to your mother after all that she did... taken away from you...can't even describe it.  The surviving family struggled and opted to not get together (We live all over the world) for any service and risk sending my father with her. 

My work days are spent on Zoom meetings in my basement.  I'm still employee and very lucky in that regard.  My weekends are spent working on things like the plane and the house.  There are a grand total of 5-7 people that I don't mask up around in my little orbit.  I don't think we have gotten it, but  I've had some crappy feeling days...today even... but maybe that's just how life is when you have basically a year long winter...hard to tell.  We don't eat out, we don't go on trips, we are in an extended hibernation doing our part to not spread this thing because we are in a position that allows that by being able to work from home.

I know some people that have gotten it with permanent side effects. I know some people that have died from it.  I'm hoping that the vaccine rolls out fast and I'm disappointed in those that aren't going to take it and help us to build herd immunity.  If we don't squash it with nearly universal vaccine acceptance it's going to keep mutating and become like the seasonal flu virus only way way more deadly and we will all be living with this at some level for the rest of our lives. 

That's my experience and take.

Very sorry for your loss. My mom is 90 and has led a full life, but I would love to have her, if healthy and happy (she is) for a long while...

Never much believed in luck. Life is to be lived.  Agree, like flu virus Covid will be with us going forward. 

My wife is with her family today following a heart attack (her dad) this morning. Life is fragile. I take nothing for granted.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

Because it affects our flying! Not just our ability to fly but it can also affect where we can go and how long we can stay. besides that we are a community and as a community we should be concerned and supportive of those in our community. 

But this is just my personal opinion, and we all know the saying about opinions!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Skybrd said:

This Covid Corona virus in my understanding is a Pestilence. I believe our great Creator (Jesus Christ) provided us protection from Pestilences using His Psalms 91 plan. I would recommend you read it yourself using the King James version. If your not a Christian, this plan won’t help you. I trust this method more than any other one. Respectfully to all of you. 

I looked psalms 91 up....Im not religious but understand the human need for Protection prayers and 91 as written is one of the most beautifully written.If it gives people hope im all for it.I also believe God helps those that help them selves!Get the vaccine!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, orionflt said:

Because it affects our flying! Not just our ability to fly but it can also affect where we can go and how long we can stay. besides that we are a community and as a community we should be concerned and supportive of those in our community. 

But this is just my personal opinion, and we all know the saying about opinions!  

I submit that Covid 19 has had ZERO impact on my ability to fly. Whether by GA or Big tin International travel, of course excluded. 

5 minutes ago, MISSILEFLYER said:

I submit that Covid 19 has had ZERO impact on my ability to fly. Whether by GA or Big tin International travel, of course excluded. 

It impacted mine.... of course that's because I couldn't move 10 feet with out needing a nap while I had it.

I have played within “the rules” for the duration.  There was no STAY IN YOUR BUNKER national mandate where I live.  We can’t talk politics so that “bunker thing” is obviously real for some.  I have chosen to not be around groups and couldn’t “do a concert” or sporting event but golf, bird hunting, shooting, dinners out(with a brief exception) beers out in Iowa, Wisconsin, Florida, South Carolina and Georgia have been activities that were permitted by the man.  Going to the lake: permitted.

Obviously if you are outside of my 1/2 of 1% morbidity exposure or live with someone that is. You have chosen to live life differently.  If “the state” or work hasn’t limited you then YOU have limited you.  I respect that.