Surviving COVID

orionflt

I am not sure how many of us on Mooneyspace have actually contracted COVID, I was defiantly one of the unlucky ones! mine started out as pretty benign, just mild flu symptoms. By the end of the first week I was in the emergency room, they pumped me full of steroids', magnesium and several other things. the next couple of days had me thinking I was on the mend and would be back to normal. then I went down hill, I apparently went into a mental fog, spent most of my time sleeping, and although i was up moving around I do not really remember about 4 days. my doctors put me on a Z pack a week after my emergency room visit, and I probably would have ended up in the hospital had I not come out of my fog. once I did I improved every day, I am still dealing with the pneumonia but finally able to get back to normal routines. 

The funny thing about contracting the Virus is I'm not exactly sure how I got it. I was pretty much isolated preceding it, the only place I was outside of work was when my wife and I went out for dinner (right time frame). Thankfully no one I was in contact with got the virus from me especially my wife, I couldn't imagine both of us being sick at the same time. especially knowing how much she was doing just taking care of me, I am surprised we do not have to replace the washer and dryer. 

Brian

• Like 10
  • Sad 5

5 minutes ago, orionflt said:

I am not sure how many of us on Mooneyspace have actually contracted COVID, I was defiantly one of the unlucky ones! mine started out as pretty benign, just mild flu symptoms. By the end of the first week I was in the emergency room, they pumped me full of steroids', magnesium and several other things. the next couple of days had me thinking I was on the mend and would be back to normal. then I went down hill, I apparently went into a mental fog, spent most of my time sleeping, and although i was up moving around I do not really remember about 4 days. my doctors put me on a Z pack a week after my emergency room visit, and I probably would have ended up in the hospital had I not come out of my fog. once I did I improved every day, I am still dealing with the pneumonia but finally able to get back to normal routines. 

The funny thing about contracting the Virus is I'm not exactly sure how I got it. I was pretty much isolated preceding it, the only place I was outside of work was when my wife and I went out for dinner (right time frame). Thankfully no one I was in contact with got the virus from me especially my wife, I couldn't imagine both of us being sick at the same time. especially knowing how much she was doing just taking care of me, I am surprised we do not have to replace the washer and dryer. 

Brian

Glad you’re feeling better each day!

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing. Not Covid. The story.

36 minutes ago, orionflt said:

Thankfully no one I was in contact with got the virus from me especially my wife, I couldn't imagine both of us being sick at the same time. especially knowing how much she was doing just taking care of me, I am surprised we do not have to replace the washer and dryer.

Actually good of you not to share it. How did you keep your wife from catching it from you? You think maybe she was immune already?

Glad your still with us cause we got a lot of BBQs to catch up on once this is all over.

• Like 2

I had it back in December.   Also pretty benign.   High fever, body aches, and chills first 36h easily manageable with acetaminophen.   Lost taste and smell a couple days later and that lasted a couple days.  

glad you’re feeling better, it’s honestly amazing how different the symptoms manifest in different people  

My wife and I got it through Christmas and New Years and we were very lucky.  We both had it very light.  Had colds much worse than this.  It was an excuse to sit, isolate, and watch movies without any guilt.  The worst part was losing taste and smell and not lose any weight.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I’m glad you’ve recovered. My wife, me and our two kids got it from my Father right after Christmas. My 5 year old had a slight fever for one evening but he was the only one. I had body/skin aches for a few days and a was tired first day (that may have been as much from rising to go deer hunting at 4am).   None of us had any respiratory symptoms.  My dad is 82 and he thought he had recurring acid reflux causing throat irritation. I encouraged him to get tested (positive). My wife and I then tested positive as well. Broad spectrum of symptoms and severity of the 10 or so folks I know who’ve had it, but no one has required medical intervention. 

Incidentally, my father has had adverse affects from the vaccine. His first dose was given about a month after he had recovered. It made him dizzy and nauseous. Second dose was yesterday and it did the same but more intensely. His reaction to the vaccine was more uncomfortable than the the bug but much shorter in duration. COVID never made him very sick but it persisted for 10 days.

I too am ready for this to be over. I am relieved that I’ve have had and recovered from it. While it doesn’t even make the top 10 worst bugs I’ve had, I realize it’s not like that for everyone. I miss having an acute sense of smell and taste. Long after my mild symptoms abated my sense of smell/taste diminished severely. I could stick my nose in a bottle of Laphroaig and not smell a thing. It’s better now but I’m not sure it will ever be 100%. 

• Like 4

I never lost my sense or taste or smell no shortness of breath no trouble breathing no fever. All i had was a cough and headache. My wife starts in you have covid. I’m like I don’t have covid but she kept saying i do and would keep me quarantined in our guest bedroom. After a day of that I’m like fine I’ll go get tested so that I don’t have to stay quarantined in my own house. Low and behold i was positive! She and the kids were negative. I waited a week and tested again with a negative and then another test 24hrs after that with a second negative before work would allow me to come back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I myself contracted The Sickness™ back over Thanksgiving. The sequence of events of how I realized I had the disease was a real blessing. At the time, the Mooney was down for Mx so I was borrowing a friend's Cherokee to fly from VA to TX for a business-related trip. I woke up early AM and was feeling really groggy already but I am most definitely not a morning person so I didn't think much of it. I took off and headed west for my first leg but the headwinds that day were terrible (40-50kts @ 4000), so 40 minutes into the trip, I said "fu** it", turned back around, made it back to home base in 15 minutes, told my client that I'd have to try another day, then went home.

Over the next 2 days I had a really sore throat and then eventually I noticed that I could no longer smell the shampoo in the shower. At this point I realized I was screwed, so I got tested asap, and surprise...

Apart from the sore throat (which cleared after half a week or so), my experience was relatively mild, thankfully. However, I never got my full taste/smell back, which honestly is a huge bummer. I'd say my senses sit at around 80% of what they used to be. Funny thing is, I actually had a reputation for being able to pick up on the slightest scents, and during my days as a line mechanic, it really helped since I could pick up on the smallest avgas, engine oil, or 5606 leaks around the airplane. I can no longer rely on that sense anymore ... but I suppose there exists a silver lining - at least now I can pet/belly rub/cuddle dogs without realizing how stinky they are :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gents...

Thanks for the continued sharing of all the first hand experience...

One thing came up earlier...  reporting the Covid experience to the FAA...

That was a requirement the FAA started about a year ago... that has probably evolved a few time since we discussed it last...

Be familiar with the proper answers before discussing it with the FAA...

The cool thing about about losing the sense of taste and smell... you don’t have to tell anyone... you can eat anything... and say it is the best you have ever had.... and easily finish off the whole plate...   :)

The down side...
Check your aroma sensing skills against known important things...

• that sulfur smell they put in natural gas is a good one...
  • the smell of smoke is another important one...
  • And... the smell of a skunk...

If you can’t smell a skunk while the whole family is complaining while driving down the road... you have to play along... :)

Now would be a good time to check the smoke detectors and the natural gas detectors in the house... make sure their batteries are still working...

It can be a bummer...

When something leaks out of your car.... you touch it, give it a sniff... and nothing registers...

I understand this may be a part of getting older as well... you just got there earlier /faster /more efficiently than everyone else...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Glad you are feeling better.  My next door neighbor had it early spring last year, came over to tell me.....  we didn’t get it.  But 35 at our church did (baptism and people travelled in for that) and my MIL had several of her clients get it, as well as 5-6 of her cousins, wife’s uncle got it, and we (wife and I) personally knew9 people who died from it (and I’m sure we know others that weren’t publicized as COVID) including an elderly husband and wife who basically were alone except helping on the family farm where he contracted it first. We wear masks but there were a lot of people where we grew up that didn’t and it basically ripped through those small towns bad.  A nursing home we know of lost 20% of its residents last summer. 

Brian, saw from Pankey’s FaceBook posts that you were taken on a COVID roller coaster ride. Glad you’re on the mend.

I’m locked down in my bunker. I’m one of those people who lose their sense of smell and taste for up to 3 weeks with just a regular cold. I don’t want to be one of those 5%ers who have lost their senses for months with a possibility it will never come back. Losing those senses is emotionally crippling.

The scary part is everyone who gets it seems to have their own experience with it. We have lost a couple of friends to it and we have a number of other friends & family who had minor symptoms to hospitalization.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Of the limited number of people I know who got it, one has had a persistent tremor since (career ending) and another can't breathe right months later (career affecting since he's an actor).  I intend to sit this one out.  I go nowhere I don't have to. We haven't been out to eat since the warm weather abated.  My spouse is now vaccinated, so if she wants to pick up food she can go get it.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, Will.iam said:

I never lost my sense or taste or smell no shortness of breath no trouble breathing no fever. All i had was a cough and headache. My wife starts in you have covid. I’m like I don’t have covid but she kept saying i do and would keep me quarantined in our guest bedroom. After a day of that I’m like fine I’ll go get tested so that I don’t have to stay quarantined in my own house. Low and behold i was positive! She and the kids were negative. I waited a week and tested again with a negative and then another test 24hrs after that with a second negative before work would allow me to come back. 

My brother in law called me a few weeks ago because his wife had “quarantined” him to the RV in their yard because he had an “exposure.” She would bring him food but wouldn’t let him in the house or let him see the kids.

The funny thing was, when we talked about it what they were calling an “exposure” wasn’t anywhere near what would qualify as an exposure. I was able to get her to let him back in the house again and everyone was fine. Part of me wonders if she knew the whole time that he hadn’t really been exposed.

• Haha 2

On 2/20/2021 at 7:46 PM, Shadrach said:

I’m glad you’ve recovered. My wife, me and our two kids got it from my Father right after Christmas. My 5 year old had a slight fever for one evening but he was the only one. I had body/skin aches for a few days and a was tired first day (that may have been as much from rising to go deer hunting at 4am).   None of us had any respiratory symptoms.  My dad is 82 and he thought he had recurring acid reflux causing throat irritation. I encouraged him to get tested (positive). My wife and I then tested positive as well. Broad spectrum of symptoms and severity of the 10 or so folks I know who’ve had it, but no one has required medical intervention. 

Incidentally, my father has had adverse affects from the vaccine. His first dose was given about a month after he had recovered. It made him dizzy and nauseous. Second dose was yesterday and it did the same but more intensely. His reaction to the vaccine was more uncomfortable than the the bug but much shorter in duration. COVID never made him very sick but it persisted for 10 days.

I too am ready for this to be over. I am relieved that I’ve have had and recovered from it. While it doesn’t even make the top 10 worst bugs I’ve had, I realize it’s not like that for everyone. I miss having an acute sense of smell and taste. Long after my mild symptoms abated my sense of smell/taste diminished severely. I could stick my nose in a bottle of Laphroaig and not smell a thing. It’s better now but I’m not sure it will ever be 100%. 

Youre 82 year old father had it at xmas and recovered....since he obviously recovered and had the antibodies ....why was it necessary to Vacinate him??

5 hours ago, thinwing said:

Youre 82 year old father had it at xmas and recovered....since he obviously recovered and had the antibodies ....why was it necessary to Vacinate him??

Dad thinks he caught it on the 23rd. I told him to get tested on the 31st. He had positive results a few days later.  Your question is a good one...one that I have asked several times.  No one has provided a clear answer. As far as I can tell, the thinking is that the vaccine may provide additional protection though it is not known.  We currently do not know how long antibodies confer immunity (the same can be said for the vaccine) which makes sense given this bug has only been in the crosshairs for about a year, we only have data for a year.   Still, it seems like a waste of a scarce resource to give the vaccine to someone just 3 weeks after they easily recovered from the actual virus.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1

This Covid Corona virus in my understanding is a Pestilence. I believe our great Creator (Jesus Christ) provided us protection from Pestilences using His Psalms 91 plan. I would recommend you read it yourself using the King James version. If your not a Christian, this plan won’t help you. I trust this method more than any other one. Respectfully to all of you. 

• Haha 1