PFD Off Center

V1VRV2

I have noticed that many of the panel renovations have a PFD that is not centered on the yoke especially with the large displays that also displayed LNAV, approach charts, engine instruments etc. I’ve never flown with a PFD that wasn’t centered. I’m renovating my panel and don’t know how I’d like an uncentered PFD. I purchased a used G600 and have seen panels with a left side PFD centered on the yoke and I’ve seen panels where the actual panel was centered right on the split... PFD to the left of the yoke and MFD to the right. Is it going to be weird having the PFD off center? Will I get used to it? Any experiences to share? 

The holes in my original panel were offset with the yoke in between the holes.  But I never noticed it in all the years that the FD and HSI were not centered over the yoke.  It was also when I was going to put in an PFD (Aspen) that I noticed it. 

Would have been fine if I was dropping in two EFT-1000s, but I was just doing the one and for additional reasons I went with a whole new physical panel and had the PDF cutout centered.  Actually went with the recessed mounting, so I've got a huge square now, not the hole the Aspen can use.  

I've also heard some people talk about the placement of their PFD because of height issues.  I'm guessing in the Ovation you don't have any issues, but some of the older planes may not have the height needed to center their PFDs. 

My K’s Aspen is not centred and neither was the original ADI. I actually had to go and look at some pictures of the aircraft I have flown over the years to see how many had the ADI directly over the yoke or stick. A great many were offset to the right or left. The fact that I never noticed tells you how much it made a difference to me. Personal opinions may vary on this but I really don’t think you will notice any difference.

• Like 1

Several years ago, Dynon updated their Skyview software to comply with user requests to make the HSI a little larger.  It may have been made a little taller but definitely wider, an oval shape.  I was one of the first complainers. It looked silly, awkward, weird.  Seemed like everyone complained, and complained loudly.  Dynon changed it a few months later with another software update, got rid of the oval.  I don't think they got a single comment. Second flight with the oval HSI, I never notice the weird again and apparently neither did anyone else.  Funny how we can adapt to some things, never seeing as they really are.

It’s not a question of can or can’t...

The old instruments were a foot deep in the panel...

The glass, doesn’t run into the same depth challenge...

After that... the panel layout depends on what else you have to mount...

There are some restrictions to distances and viewing angle for some things...

But, this is inches away and right in front of you... either way...

Lay out things the way you like... and consult with a good installer to get all the details correct...

And continue to ask really good questions...

Don Kaye loves instrument panel technology...  he has described in detail how he got to where his panel is today...

including various details on the instrument layouts themselves...

50/50 splits, 60/40 splits, what goes on the left side, what goes on the right...

Why he likes the EI MVP vs... Garmin Engine monitor...

How well do you know what you want?

I’m more likely to follow Don’s experience and compare to @StevenL757’s panel...

there are a few Aspen panels around... 2pane and 3pane...

For me...  having things centered... is a luxury.... Scanning instruments, and being centered on the yoke wouldn’t make a difference...

I had a car that the steering wheel wasn’t directly in front of the driver... that was a bit odd... but no big deal...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

If I was installing the original g500 years ago I’d place it similar to Don’s above. However, with the amount of time and money you’re putting into this panel I’d center it and leave enough room around it so the new 10 inch txi upgrade can be easily done down the road. 

• Like 1

Whole GDU1060 display very slightly offset right of center.  Of the three modes I can have, (60/40 PFD, 60/40 MFD, or Full PFD), The full PFD centers pretty much over the control column.  The 60/40 PFD is about 1.5 inches to the left of center...nowhere near problematic for me.

603871669_5-AfterGFC500-1.thumb.jpeg.8323a9e3dbee8fbf48fb5448877a4ee4.jpeg

Original G500 install.  For comparison, GDU620 PFD centered over the control column.

1013635992_3-AfterinitialG500install.thumb.jpg.3eba1f9a388bad325f86c2bb2ad6beec.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

Just found a pic doing a google search of the G500/600 with the PFD centered in a Mooney. So it looks like it can be done. Does this plane belong to anyone here? Obviously this pilot had the same thought process as me. 

C3672C82-03BE-449D-BBF8-03026ADEA95C.png

Yes, I deliberately planned it to center over the yoke.  The added benefit is the engine monitor right in front of me.  The whole centering thing carried over to my upgrade to the G500 TXi shown below.

552694352_4thUpgradetoGFC500.thumb.jpg.e06304960dd7a2966d1b878928f43315.jpg

• Like 3