Newbie looking to connect with Local Mooney owner(s)

patriot3300

Hi All,

I am a  Cherokee pilot longing to buy a Mooney(preffer an e or f)but will consider a C and planning to get the ifr done and start looking hard unless the right project appears that I cannot resist in the meantime.

I work at Kofp near Richmond Va and hope to connect with a local  Mooneyowner who would like to share their passion for mooneys.

Thanks !

Stuart

2 hours ago, patriot3300 said:

Hi All,

I am a  Cherokee pilot longing to buy a Mooney(preffer an e or f)but will consider a C and planning to get the ifr done and start looking hard unless the right project appears that I cannot resist in the meantime.

I work at Kofp near Richmond Va and hope to connect with a local  Mooneyowner who would like to share their passion for mooneys.

Thanks !

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I am about 120NM north of you at KHGR.  If you want to see an example 67F that is as near a time capsule (save for radios and interior) as any, I am happy to let you see and fly the plane.  Side bonus is that I've already had and recovered from the bug...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, patriot3300 said:

Hi All,

Thanks !

Stuart

Welcome Stuart

Do you have a Cherokee to trade?  My friend has a C model that he might trade in the classified ads here on Mooneyspace.  Good lesson on insurance in the same thread...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, patriot3300 said:

Ross, I will pm you about checking out your Mooney, Thanks !

Takair,I  have a Cherokee but do plan to keep it and do my ifr before buying the Mooney mostly because I don’t want to get hosed on the Insurance;)

Do it in the Mooney, particularly the 40 hours of hood time. You’ll grow your retract time quickly and earn an IFR discount as well. Some insurances will allow you to prorate a discount based on hours mid year if you gain the experience.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard patriot!

Flying with Ross would be great!  He has years of Mooney passion... :)

The first year of Mooney ownership is a hosing period thanks to the insurance company rules...

So...

Keep an eye out for what is best for you...

Getting the IR in your ship makes a lot of sense... better than getting it in somebody else’s  C172... or your Brand P...

When the first year is over... you have a ton of time and an IR in your new 2U Mooney...

For the nicest guy in insurance... talk with Parker... he does the best he can with the situation we all share...

Best regards,

-a-

Though there is an obvious advantage to have a relationship with other Mooney owners in a local homedrome, but don't overlook this incredible resource of information and friendship and though it may feel that we are all far away, we are in your pocket, laptop, or one of many other forms of digital outlet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 201er said:

Do it in the Mooney, particularly the 40 hours of hood time. You’ll grow your retract time quickly and earn an IFR discount as well. Some insurances will allow you to prorate a discount based on hours mid year if you gain the experience.

^ ^ ^ ^ THIS ^ ^ ^ ^

Instrument Training in your own plane is valuable! You will learn your procedures, checklists, power settings and procedures that you will use ever after as you travel the country. You will also rack up flight hours in Make & Model, and Instruction Received hours in Make & Model. You will gain confidence in your plane and yourself. And the retract hours will help reduce your insurance premiums faster.

Oh, yeah, it's what I did, too. ;) Except I flew for 2 years between purchase and serious pursuit of IFR.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and great advice.

Mark I will definitely touch bases Much appreciated.

I have learned a ton here lurking for several years and this forum is great resource !

I will definitely get the ifr in my bird and possibly comm prior to buying a Mooney Unless some “bargain” appears that I “might” just do liability on until the big money dump to upgrade(only considering this because I can do the work)as I know the money pit any aircraft can be.

Stuart

4 hours ago, patriot3300 said:

I will definitely get the ifr in my bird and possibly comm prior to buying a Mooney Unless some “bargain” appears that I “might” just do liability on until the big money dump to upgrade(only considering this because I can do the work)as I know the money pit any aircraft can be.

Bad idea. The majority of gear ups I hear about happen in the first week of ownership. That's a big part of why the hull insurance is so high when you jump in without retract time cause that's when you need it more than ever.

First engine challenges can show up in the first 10 hours of ownership...

I got the stuck valve, and drastically reduced power... on departure with my transition training going on...  good thing we were both skinny... :)

Not having insurance can weigh on your decision making when you need to be focused...

If you need to save the insurance money... you probably will be extra sensitive to having an off-field landing for the same reason...

Having the proper insurance allows you to know the plane belongs to the insurance company... The objective is to focus on saving your self...

PP thoughts only, not a personal financial planner...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2