Are you going to Sun 'n Fun?

If you normally consider going to Sun 'n Fun, would you go  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to SnF?

• Yes
    • No. I would otherwise go, but passing this year due to COVID.
    • No. I would otherwise go, but have other commitments.
    • No. I sometimes go to SnF, but am not going this year because I didn't plan on it for other reasons.
    • No. I never go to SnF.
    • I might go.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/12/2021 at 05:00 PM

51 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

I will be there in Hangar A for Airspeed Insurance.  Please stop by if you are there!  My wife cannot make it this year, so my evening schedule is pretty open most nights.

Would love to meet you there, Parker!  Be sure to swing by the Garmin booth and say hello if I don't make it to Hangar A!

• Like 2

sARs Covid 19 no longer factors into anything I do.  Now that the “science” is out, right? And we know what it does and the real mortality rates instead of chicken little talking heads of the agenda outlets, it has no impact on my decision making at all. 

so, yes, I will go and have a blast.  I feel bad for the rest of the folks though who cannot get past the narrative being pushed and become hermits and germaphobes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My answer is the same as every year:  maybe. But I won't fly in without a 2nd set of eyes in the cockpit. Last time I was there, a bunch of tornadoes went down the runway . . . .

That was in my first week  or so of moving to Florida. During the first two weeks I had both a SnF tornado and a guy on drugs threaten to kill me (and throw his car jack toward me) for not helping him change the tire he popped in a parking lot.

“Welcome to Lakeland, Parker!”:lol:

4 hours ago, Unit74 said:

I feel bad for the rest of the folks though who cannot get past the narrative being pushed and become hermits and germaphobes

I think that comes off a bit rude and naive. I don't think it's right to judge people for being afraid, considering that nearly half a million people died from it alone in the USA. I am under 30, in shape and not overweight, not diabetic, and have no known heart issues ( that I know of), so the risk for me is practically non existent. That however does not apply to a good amount of people that I know. Nearly everyone on this board can financially afford to get covid. We all own airplanes. Most people don't and most people can't afford an airplane, let alone taking paid time off, or the cost of getting sick and needing help without insurance.
Every time I want to go somewhere, I hate the idea of wearing a mask, or social distancing, or having to get food to go, but I deal with it and do it for other people. Not everyone is as financially stable or healthy as most of us are on this board. Just offering a different perspective to look at it from.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Tell that to my family members and friends who have died from it.

We could use this narrative for all the various scourges humans face. The “flu”, cancer, drug addiction, heart disease and on and on. If you indeed had someone close die from this particular ailment, that is unfortunate. But as a society, we have let hysteria overwhelm our emotions and and reason, in turn, triggering an unhinged and disproportionate reaction to what was once normal human factors of life.  Lots of things kill us. But in this particular case, the response is not commensurate with the  problem. Stopping society for something 99% of people survive is nothing more than not letting a crisis go to waste by the politico. 

I, along with hopefully many, chose to live our lives without the big machine screaming “wolf!” All day long.  I have had it, my wife had it and two kids had it. Four of my coworkers have it right now. Many more professional and personal acquaintances have as well. I  am no longer drinking the cool aid Gixxer.  The national response has cause more damage than the virus as done.  In this case, the antidote was more harmful than the ailment.

So without reservation, I encourage all people to stop playing to the narrative and get back to life.  We are done being pawns on the politico chessboard. Seriously. We are tired of all the Chicken Littles.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I think that comes off a bit rude and naive. I don't think it's right to judge people for being afraid, considering that nearly half a million people died from it alone in the USA. I am under 30, in shape and not overweight, not diabetic, and have no known heart issues ( that I know of), so the risk for me is practically non existent. That however does not apply to a good amount of people that I know. Nearly everyone on this board can financially afford to get covid. We all own airplanes. Most people don't and most people can't afford an airplane, let alone taking paid time off, or the cost of getting sick and needing help without insurance.
Every time I want to go somewhere, I hate the idea of wearing a mask, or social distancing, or having to get food to go, but I deal with it and do it for other people. Not everyone is as financially stable or healthy as most of us are on this board. Just offering a different perspective to look at it from.

@Niko182 I agree, l have actually had covid, ( last December ) My wife also had it . we both had very different versions.. I am 65 and survived but it was not pretty, and ended up in the hospital twice ( sp02.)... my advice don't gets not pretty,, i.... and to everyone be vigilant . you don't want it.

Not a pretty thing and 4 months after the fact , although I feel good, fully recovered and healthy, not contagious.. I still can't taste anything.

Be  vigilant and safe in whatever  was you are able... 

to answer this post , I would love to go to s/f but I am in toronto and I don't think the northern border will be open forever.

Pete

Edited by pkofman
added content

11 hours ago, Unit74 said:

sARs Covid 19 no longer factors into anything I do.  Now that the “science” is out, right? And we know what it does and the real mortality rates instead of chicken little talking heads of the agenda outlets, it has no impact on my decision making at all. 

so, yes, I will go and have a blast.  I feel bad for the rest of the folks though who cannot get past the narrative being pushed and become hermits and germaphobes. 

100 years ago the US govt, passed a law forbidding any newspaper in the US from publishing the news about the Pandemic of 1918 that was sweeping through the US, especially among the young. The outcome of not allowing the "agenda outlets" to publicize the threat of a viral illness had dire consequences. The current threat is a real public heath emergency and should be taken seriously.

2 hours ago, Unit74 said:

We could use this narrative for all the various scourges humans face. The “flu”, cancer, drug addiction, heart disease and on and on. If you indeed had someone close die from this particular ailment, that is unfortunate. But as a society, we have let hysteria overwhelm our emotions and and reason, in turn, triggering an unhinged and disproportionate reaction to what was once normal human factors of life.  Lots of things kill us. But in this particular case, the response is not commensurate with the  problem. Stopping society for something 99% of people survive is nothing more than not letting a crisis go to waste by the politico. 

I, along with hopefully many, chose to live our lives without the big machine screaming “wolf!” All day long.  I have had it, my wife had it and two kids had it. Four of my coworkers have it right now. Many more professional and personal acquaintances have as well. I  am no longer drinking the cool aid Gixxer.  The national response has cause more damage than the virus as done.  In this case, the antidote was more harmful than the ailment.

So without reservation, I encourage all people to stop playing to the narrative and get back to life.  We are done being pawns on the politico chessboard. Seriously. We are tired of all the Chicken Littles.

Some people are afraid to die, some are afraid to live, some are afraid of disease.  A few try to live without fear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Employers are so unreasonable. They expect you to show up, like, every day.   

TBH, due to this whole COVID thing, I haven't seen my employer / manager / office for a year now... ;) Still, I doubt it I'll be allowed to go to SnF.

1 hour ago, tmo said:

TBH, due to this whole COVID thing, I haven't seen my employer / manager / office for a year now... ;) Still, I doubt it I'll be allowed to go to SnF.

My experience is exactly the opposite. I did work from home for 2 days in April [on different weeks]--one day was my normal 0730-1700-ish, the other was 0730-2330. I don't miss it. Could have finished a few hours earlier the second day had I been at work instead of at home.

3 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Employers are so unreasonable. They expect you to show up, like, every day.   

Not so bad, but I do have to be here to teach my classes.  I suppose I could go and teach from there since we're remote, but I don' really want to count on the internet in a place with thousands of pilots.  Could get stretched a mite thin.  I like Oshkosh better anyway, and I'll probably be vaccinated by then.

5 hours ago, tmo said:

Take a picture of your current workspace background for the online meetings.  They'll never know you are in Florida.

Unit,

What’s the big deal...

You have no fear of the virus...

Other people do...

I get it.

Let’s not be mean to everyone because you don’t live in fear...

It turns into an I’m better than you are argument faster than you can type...

Its as fun as my plane is better than yours...

Kind of takes the fun out of being part of MS...

Its the weekend... yay!

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3