How long without starting plane?

wings_level

One positive that comes from living in a colder climate: lower risk of engine corrosion.  Reduced oil mobility at cold temperatures means parts retain their film coatings longer.   Cold temperatures also greatly reduce water vapor transport from oil to air inside the engine.  They also greatly reduce ambient water vapor ingest due to diurnal temperature and air pressure changes.  Combined, these factors all greatly reduce the risk of non-running engine corrosion during cold weather. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

This time of year is great to get a few IFR approaches done. 

The longest I have gone without flying is 2 weeks.  However, being very cold out, I would like to know a quick tip on how to keep my feet warm.  It's a little difficult to pull them back to the floor heater to thaw them out.

How did you get an annual done in less than 2 weeks? I have never found anyone who could do it in less than 3 weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tmo said:

And yes, all major airports charge landing and handling fees, some even charge for a low-pass.

When I was learning to fly in southern Germany in the 1970s it was like that as well.   Anywhere we went we had to find the ops building to pay the landing fee, even little fields.   I still have a bunch of those receipts.  ;)

2 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

How did you get an annual done in less than 2 weeks? I have never found anyone who could do it in less than 3 weeks.

I'm pretty much retired (I do run high performance driving events about 35 days a year) and do the annual assist in my hangar.  My IA hard schedules around my annual.  I pay him well, we laugh and play, and he loves to work on my plane.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom 4536 said:

Find somebody who will do owner-assist.   Mine typically take a day or two of prep by me (wash the airplane, taking panels off, etc.), a couple days with the IA, by the end of which I have the airplane back together.   So three days, maybe four, total.    Part of this is not having any deferred maintenance that needs to be done during the annual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

Find somebody who will do owner-assist.   Mine typically take a day or two of prep by me (wash the airplane, taking panels off, etc.), a couple days with the IA, by the end of which I have the airplane back together.   So three days, maybe four, total.    Part of this is not having any deferred maintenance that needs to be done during the annual.

^^^ THIS ^^^

Just finished mine; just one week.