LAS name change

kerry

Yeah there was an attempt to get rid of the Bill and Hillary national airport name but Bill had enough friends left in Arkansas to get it stopped. I asked ground one time if they were gonna use the Clinton name but the discussion quickly became how long it would take to be called Hillbilly airport

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

Atlanta is aka Maynard Jackson.

Probably the most appropriate name in the country is Louis Armstrong in New Orleans.

Bob Hope in Burbank kind of has a nice ring as well.

Rather Harry Reid they should have renamed it Elvis International Airport. Other options could have been Siegfried & Roy International, Rat Pack International, Bugsy Siegel International.  Bugsy was probably more honest then Harry.

• Haha 2

Just now, GeeBee said:

Just make a PA saying "Atlanta" or "Hartsfield" rather than "Hartsfield-Jackson International" or worse, say, "Dallas" rather than "Dallas-Fort Worth" and set your stop watch for a call from the Chief Pilot saying, "Got a minute?"

If it were only that simple. I fly commercially out of Fort Lauderdale and the announcements always say "Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport".

Airport naming has gotten crazy lately. Between politics and pretentious promoters it’s hard to say who is worse. 
APA was Arapahoe County Airport, it’s now Centennial.

FTG was Front Range airport it’s now Colorado Air and Space Port.

BJC was Jefferson County Airport now it’s Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport.

even little U42 got pretentious, Salt Lake #2 is now South Valley Regional.

LEE in Florida got in the act also. Who would have guessed there was an International airport on the banks of Lake Harris.

I think my favorite is 48U, a dirt strip in Wyoming, officially named Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport.

Ridiculous, I knew where Las Vegas was but who knows where Swamp Politician International is.

But HillBilly international does have an appropriate ring to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RJBrown said:

But HillBilly international does have an appropriate ring to it.

Only problem is that it could be in so many places!!

(says a man who learned to fly, bought a Mooney and based it for seven years at a contender) (and I pretty much live in Redneck Central now . . . . )  :lol: :D :lol:

The average French being by nature distracted, we use, at home, the name of the neighboring city where the airfield is located. This gives exotic names like "Lille tour", "Poitiers sol", "Blagnac tour". It is convenient, especially when the driver asks for "Le Touquet tour" and is in the track circuit of Calais Marck...:unsure:

14 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Just make a PA saying "Atlanta" or "Hartsfield" rather than "Hartsfield-Jackson International" or worse, say, "Dallas" rather than "Dallas-Fort Worth" and set your stop watch for a call from the Chief Pilot saying, "Got a minute?"

I've been told that back in 2015 the crew of the state-owned LOT were told to stop giving the full name of the Gdańsk Lech Wałęsa airport and simply announce it as "Gdańsk". They have also been asked to use the full name of the Kraków airport...

Im not as irked at the name changing itself as much as the fact that they keep naming these airports after politicians. I don't care if they're blue or red or whatever - I just don't like politicians, period. Who knows, Reid himself might get "cancelled" a few years down the road too. Just name it Las Vegas Intl and call it a day.

Jeez. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Minivation said:

Im not as irked at the name changing itself as much as the fact that they keep naming these airports after politicians. I don't care if they're blue or red or whatever - I just don't like politicians, period. Who knows, Reid himself might get "cancelled" a few years down the road too. Just name it Las Vegas Intl and call it a day.

Jeez. 

Who was "McCarren" anyway?

At least they didn't do LAS like they did ATL and hyphenate two politicians names . . . . Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is quite the mouthful! 

But since I have only been allowed into the Bravo one time (less than 90 seconds before completing my reroute to "stay out of the bravo"), I don't have to worry about what to say on the radio. It's only "Atlanta Approach" to me.

It has been and always is "Atlanta Approach". Look at the approach chart for any airport in the metro area. They changed the name of the city facilities, (which by the way is mostly not in the City of Atlanta or even the same county as the City of Atlanta) not the facility in Peachtree City which is a Federal facility. The correct name of the KATL tower is "Atlanta tower" as well. I assure you KLAS will continue to be "Las Vegas Tower" and "Las Vegas Approach" as well.