1967 Mooney M20F Lo Presti kit

Hello Everyone,

I need some help with the Lo presti kit for my plane, does anyone now what other parts I need to do the Lo Presti conversion on my M20F, since my plane is not a J Model.

Here is what I have done so far

201 windshield

I relocated the oil cooler 

I am about to purchase the top prop conversion.

Would anyone have the PDF or the instructions manuals or list of what other parts are needed to convert the F Models, i now you require more parts to fit the Lo Presti kit to the F and to the J Model

Thanks for your help 

Jesse

Hello I have not purchased the kit yet, i would like to get more information regarding the kit, how much faster is the F model with the Lo Presti kit,also installation and parts needed for my plane,  i would like to now the cost and who can install for me I live in California.

Thank you 

Jesse 

Let’s see if the @Speed Merchant is around...

Last I checked into it decades ago... the cost was similar to a new small car...

Since everyone’s golden geese are different sizes... this may not be a challenge for you...

People have also modified their existing planes to become Missiles and Rockets... those kits cost a bit more...

I can invite doc John @M20F-1968 he updated his M20F with every upgrade possible including the Lopresti cowl... 

Best regards,

-a-

I think lopresti is down there in Sebastian, FL at Whelen.   I called 3 or 4 years ago to speak to him about the cowl kit and he said it would be $25k parts alone.   That’s why you don’t see many of those cowls around.  They are sweet looking though.  

Edited by Browncbr1

On 2/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, carusoam said:

Let’s see if the @Speed Merchant is around...

Last I checked into it decades ago... the cost was similar to a new small car...

Since everyone’s golden geese are different sizes... this may not be a challenge for you...

People have also modified their existing planes to become Missiles and Rockets... those kits cost a bit more...

I can invite doc John @M20F-1968 he updated his M20F with every upgrade possible including the Lopresti cowl... 

Best regards,

-a-

I did not use the Loprest Cowling.  It has problems with a turbonormalizer as the intake opening are too small.  Also, I liked the structure of the 201 cowling which is what I used.

John Breda

• Thanks 1

On 2/17/2021 at 12:36 PM, Browncbr1 said:

I think lopresti is down there in Sebastian, FL at Whelen.   I called 3 or 4 years ago to speak to him about the cowl kit and he said it would be $25k parts alone.   That’s why you don’t see many of those cowls around.  They are sweet looking though.  

I am not sure about the Cowl kit price now but $25K seems too much, must be full install. IIRC, it was $16k 4 years ago and David was offering one in stock for $11.5 as the original buyer canceled the order. They are great looking, increase the speed by 7mph (J) to 10-15mph (E,F) and lightweight carbon. I was mildly interested as I have most airframe mods on my F but the price and cost of a new prop (or was it just the spinner) was just too much comparing the hull value of the old F.

I would be interested to hear from the owners on speed increase but I remember that Bill cox (P&P) wrote a praises about it and mentioned quite a performance increase on his (turbo-normalized?) M20F. 

Edited by Igor_U

On 2/19/2021 at 6:50 PM, Jesse20 said:

Hello Igor _U

I would really like to hear from Bill Cox and his turbo-normalized Mooney is there anyway to get in contact with him.

Thanks 

Jesse

Jesse,

article was published in Plane and Pilot some 5 years age. Perhaps someone can share it. 

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind to do the 201 conversion you need the following:

• Oil cooler relocation kit (STC)
  • 201 prop or Top prop with 201 Spinner and back plate. (STC/337)
  • 201 Windscreen (optional for 201 cowl/required for Lopresti cowl) (STC)
  • 201 Cowl and cowl flaps(337)
    or
    Lopresti cowl(337)
  • 201 airfilter (STC/337)
  • 201 Baffle kit and air intake

I would also recommend doing the conversion in that order because it can be done almost one item at a time. My airplane is has the first two installed and I own 95% of the parts to complete the conversion. 

On 4/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, AerostarDriver said:

Keep in mind to do the 201 conversion you need the following:

• Oil cooler relocation kit (STC)
  • 201 prop or Top prop with 201 Spinner and back plate. (STC/337)
  • 201 Windscreen (optional for 201 cowl/required for Lopresti cowl) (STC)
  • 201 Cowl and cowl flaps(337)
    or
    Lopresti cowl(337)
  • 201 airfilter (STC/337)
  • 201 Baffle kit and air intake

I would also recommend doing the conversion in that order because it can be done almost one item at a time. My airplane is has the first two installed and I own 95% of the parts to complete the conversion. 

So you have to run a top-prop..? You cant just change the bulkhead to run a M20J spinner?  How the hell does the cowling know what prop you have on, it's the spinner that matches the cowling.

Edited by ilikethewoods

2 hours ago, ilikethewoods said:

So you have to run a top-prop..? You cant just change the bulkhead to run a M20J spinner?  How the hell does the cowling know what prop you have on, it's the spinner that matches the cowling.

No prop change required. Just the spinner. ( I should know I have the Lopresti Cowling on my F.)

21 hours ago, 75_M20F said:

No prop change required. Just the spinner. ( I should know I have the Lopresti Cowling on my F.)

Word, just hit a buddy regarding this question as well. Now I gotta get a M20j spinner but everyone wants $900. Aviation is a joke. Parts been sitting on dudes shelves for years, haven't seen the light of an airplane since it was removed, but yo ass wants top dollar...! HAHA. No wonder why people go the experimental route.  

Aviation is funny...

But getting the right spinner for an experimental plane has the same and other challenges...

There are three resources around here that store and sell used Mooney parts...

Imagine investing in hundreds of airplane parts waiting for the day somebody needs just one of them...

Hold the commentary... if you want somebody to respond to your request...

There is special pricing for people that show their stress...

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/10/2021 at 6:20 PM, ilikethewoods said:

On 4/10/2021 at 8:40 PM, 75_M20F said:

You need a J spinner but you need the right compatibility of lengths. My understanding is the stock 2 blade that came on the E and F models will not work with the longer cowl of the J. If you have an after market 3 blade or retrofit 2 blade or the 2 blade from a J (if you have the correct engine for it) you will likely be fine assuming you have the backplate and spinner for a J. The previous owner of my plane found it easier to order the Top prop for the J rather then continue to do the 100 hour eddy current inspections.

Edited by AerostarDriver

11 hours ago, AerostarDriver said:

You need a J spinner but you need the right compatibility of lengths. My understanding is the stock 2 blade that came on the E and F models will not work with the longer cowl of the J. If you have an after market 3 blade or retrofit 2 blade or the 2 blade from a J (if you have the correct engine for it) you will likely be fine assuming you have the backplate and spinner for a J. The previous owner of my plane found it easier to order the Top prop for the J rather then continue to do the 100 hour eddy current inspections.

Thats interesting point about the prop on the E's & F's. Thanks.