Adjust prop governor on IO360-A3B6 (not a3b6d)

m100psi

Is the governor control arm clocked correctly? It should look like the drawing. If not, loosen the rear case screws (don’t remove them all - you don’t want it to come apart) and rotate the rear plate as necessary. Don’t loosen the arm itself and rotate it on the shaft or you’ll screw up the internal clocking. 

Skip

1253630894_Screenshot2021-02-16at5_12_23PM.thumb.png.087dfdba6f5c31ae937f8e38f21081c6.png

• Like 1

Hi Skip, thanks for the feedback, though not sure I followed.  Were you suggesting loosening those screws to get to the governor adjustment screw?

We (and by we I mean the mechanic I was working with) managed to loosen the adjustment screw jam nut by holding a broken off piece of open end wrench with small vice grips.  Then turned the adjustment screw by working the jam nut all the way down to the screw head until it locked against the screw head before working the nut back up the adjustment screw to lock it in place again.

I read in another thread the A3B6D is easier, but seems like Lycoming really doesn't want anyone changing the governor setting on the A3B6.

14 hours ago, m100psi said:

Hi Skip, thanks for the feedback, though not sure I followed.  Were you suggesting loosening those screws to get to the governor adjustment screw?

We (and by we I mean the mechanic I was working with) managed to loosen the adjustment screw jam nut by holding a broken off piece of open end wrench with small vice grips.  Then turned the adjustment screw by working the jam nut all the way down to the screw head until it locked against the screw head before working the nut back up the adjustment screw to lock it in place again.

I read in another thread the A3B6D is easier, but seems like Lycoming really doesn't want anyone changing the governor setting on the A3B6.

There aren't any detailed drawings for converting to the A3B6 and the governor seems to be the place where mechanics get creative. This thread has a lot of details and pictures. When installed, the adjustment screw should be pointing towards the TOP of the cowling.

If yours works, even if the installation is not correct, it may not be worth the trouble to change it. There is minimal room to work back there as you know. But if the bracket for the cable is installed correctly and the arm on the governor is not in the correct position, you can loosen the six crews on the back of the governor and rotate the arm (actually you are rotating the entire pilot valve assembly inside the governor) to put it wherever you need it and then tighten the screws to hold it in position.

Skip