Fuel tank crosstalk

1 hour ago, FlyingDude said:

I'll do that. Sounds fun. 

I'll do it along with figuring out what map and ff give same IAS at same rpm. By the conservation of energy, each piston stroke will generate the same power, and require the same amount of chemical energy=fuel. Any difference in FF will hint at differences in combustion efficiency and fuel dumped. The difference in CHT will show the effectiveness of whether that dumped fuel in cooling cylinders. 

Now I'll be frank with you: I am curious about what all this Google "folklore" has to say, but it's not official literature. I worked as design engineer, then lead engineer, then manager, so I interacted with and later managed technicians who were very keen on showing engineers that they don't know anything, things are very hard to maintain. All the while I did use to ask them what they would do differently and even took the time to explain how 3/4 of their ideas would invalidate other design aspects. Other 1/4 would get taken into consideration.

So I do appreciate your input, I'll read about the red fin and red box and all the gami spreads, but I won't do anything that contradicts what's published on the graphs in the manual...

You’re definitely right about Google, i was using that a little loosely... you can find anyone that says anything you’d like to see!  If you stick to MS threads, you can find the folks who attended Advanced Pilot Seminars (APS).  They have engines on test stands and real documented data.  Their data and operating methods are pretty solid and they have data to back it up.

• Like 1

If you want to talk aircraft power plant installation and operation you talk to Bob Minnis  THE GURU of any aircraft power plant installation. AND certified to do so!

Haven't heard of him :-) You need to listen to him at a Mooney Convention. 

When HE talks I listen!

Who do you think got the twin turbos to work on the Mooney? HUH?  But that was just a minor issue in all he's ever done.

How about a piston powered airplane that loiters at 60,000' for a day? OK you engineers think about the physics on that one for a moment. 

The greatest engine engineer I have ever talked with bar none.

What this has to do with the OP subject I have no idea

Back to the regularly scheduled program-

Simple fuel system L- OFF-R  If you can't remember to swap tanks maybe you don't need to fly. Try a Bonanza or a 310 or a Twin Beech or for that matter a 707. We won't even get into balancing fuel fore and aft on long range jets with tail plane tanks. 

One full one empty has very little affect on L-R balance OWT

Get a nice looking battery watch and cut the strap ears off and velcro to your panel. How many cool functions can you find in a cheap Timex watch?

Engine stops when you weren't expecting it to? SWITCH TANKS

Engine stops right as you do something? REVERSE WHAT YOU JUST DID

That's why my hand stays on the switch I just moved until I KNOW nothing is changing whether its a J-3 or a 757. 

LOP works real good in P&W R-985 radial engines with carbs IF you use some carb heat to help vaporize the after carb fuel mixture. Carb heat "helps " in O-360s a little but not much due to the different mixture spread in each intake runner. 

• Like 3

Fantastic insight, Cliffy!

+1 for the Pirep of Mr. Minnis...

Bob Minnis is also the writer of the 310hp STC for the Long Bodies...

If buying a 310hp IO550 upgrade for your O... it is tradition to speak with Mr Minnis to go through the selection process of all the details...

It worked for me...

:)

Best regards,

-a-