Garmin Pilot IACO equipment codes

rotorman

I have been using Garmin P for a long time. Recently I managed to delete my airplane from the app so I had to reenter it it. I watched the Garmin video on how set up the equipment codes and followed it since my airplane is equipped similar their example. However, when I tried to file a IFR flight plan it produced an error  stating incorrect equipment codes. I could not clear it. Three phone calls to Garmin and several hours of trying different combinations would not clear it. Even reinstalling the app got me nowhere. I then came across an instruction for Foreflight which gave me a combination four entries as opposed the 10 or 15 Garmin was advising. The video said you can get fancier but this simple combinations will be accepted by the filing service and the app. That solved the immediate problem of not being able to file. 

Garmin recommended codes: (Could not file IFR flight plan with the below codes)

FAA/Domestic: G,  ICAO Com/Nav: SBDGRZ ICAO Surveillance: LB2U2, ICAO PBN: A1B2D202S1,  Other: NAV/ SBAS, SURV/ 260B 262B, CODE/ xxxxxx  (aircraft specific)  

Foreflight recommended codes: (Successfully filed Flight plan off airways using direct to waypoints with below codes)

FAA/Domestic: G,  IACO Com/Nav: SG,  ICAO Surveillance:

The Garmin code list is exhaustive including the mode S code in the FAA aircraft registry. My question is, are all those codes really necessary? Does the FAA require them all? Will I go to jail if I make a mistake :wacko:

Edited by rotorman
Corrected ICAO Com/Nav to SBDGRZ

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Here's what I set in Foreflight for my airplane with GNS430W, KN64, KX165 and GTX345 

FAA: /G

ICAO Equipment: B,D,G,R,S

ICAO Surveillance: B2, E

ICAO Wake category: L

ICAO PBN: C2,D2,O2,S1

Skip

I have a GTN650, KN53 w/gs and GTX345. You must be using Foreflight. Do you have a category called OTHER INFORMATION? That's where the GTX 345 code goes. Mine is A3EB4D. I used your codes minus the "D" and Garmin accepts them. I have a GTN650, KN53 w/gs and GTX345.

Nick

21 minutes ago, rotorman said:

I have a GTN650, KN53 w/gs and GTX345. You must be using Foreflight. Do you have a category called OTHER INFORMATION? That's where the GTX 345 code goes. Mine is A3EB4D. I used your codes minus the "D" and Garmin accepts them. I have a GTN650, KN53 w/gs and GTX345.

Nick

Yes, I put the GTX345 ADS-B Hex code in "Other" in Foreflight. I'm assuming that at some point the FAA will become less permissive and require everyone to follow the full ICAO format and so I just bit the bullet.

Skip

On 2/14/2021 at 8:54 PM, Oscar Avalle said:

I don’t think you will be put in jail... however, if you fly internationally it helps you with the routes and the approaches you may get or not

ATC told me to standby for 20min, I should have kept my mouth shut and took the long direct they offered while using my iPad for waypoints 
The perks of flying with KNS80 and no IFR GPS (it was allowed for RNAV5 across the pond), it needs to go as Rho-Theta equipement with code "R" & “PBN/B4" in remarks of FPL

I think one deserves 2 years of jail if they file an FPL with "C" code these days (LORAN :lol:

Edited by Ibra
  • Haha 1

Some resources

Example O2 GX non WAAS, Mode S (see comments for ADS-B)

• Field 10: SGRYD/S
    • S - Standard Equipment: VHF-COM, VOR ILS
    • G - GNSS
    • R - Area Navigation (requires indicator PBN/ in field 18)
    • Y - 8.33kHz COM channel spacing
    • D - DME (its useless to discuss why this is still required for IFR in German airspace ;-)
    • /S - Mode S transponder (for GTX33 with SW upgrade providing enhanced surveillance use /H instead)
      • for ADS-B out use /B1 instead
      • for ADS-B in/out use /B2 instead
  • Field 18: PBN/B2C2D2O2S1
    • B2 - RNAV 5 GNSS
    • C2 - RNAV 2 GNSS
    • D2 - RNAV 1 GNSS
    • O2 - RNP 1 GNSS
    • S1 - RNP LNAV Approach

Example O2 GX WAAS, Mode S (see comments for ADS-B)

• Field 10: SBGRY/H
    • S - Standard Equipment: VHF-COM, VOR ILS
    • B - LPV
    • G - GNSS
    • R - Area Navigation (requires indicator PBN/ in field 18)
    • Y - 8.33kHz COM channel spacing
    • /H - Mode S transponder with enhanced surveillance
      • for ADS-B out use /B1 instead
      • for ADS-B in/out use /B2 instead
  • Field 18: PBN/B2C2D2O2S1S2
    • B2 - RNAV 5 GNSS
    • C2 - RNAV 2 GNSS
    • D2 - RNAV 1 GNSS
    • O2 - RNP 1 GNSS
    • S1 - RNP LNAV Approach
    • S2 - RNP LNAV/VNAV

Regards,

Matthias

Garmin_ICAO_Flight_Plan_Information.xlsx

Edited by MatthiasArnold
Minor bug fix
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For those of us who are using the Android version of Garmin Pilot, the poor cousins as it were, here is Garmin's explanation for the getting error codes and not being able to file a flight plan.

Good afternoon Nicholas,

"Are you by chance using Garmin Pilot on the Android platform? Unfortunately, for the Android platform, this is an issue on Android devices that our developers are working diligently to correct. 

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Best Regards,
Chris

Garmin Aviation Support"

The problem starts when an R is entered in Com/Nav. If an R is not entered the app will automatically enter it if anything is entered in PBN.  Then, when filing, the app puts up this error. "Error(s) during filing request.  PBN/data must be included in Other Information field when "R" is in the Aircraft Equipment field".   This instruction can not be satisfied. Entering data in the Other Information field does not clear the error. In order to file, the PBN category must be cleared and the R removed from Com/Nav, in that order. 

The really annoying part of this is that I spoke to 3 customer service reps and not one of them told me this is a know problem they are working on. An email finally brought the answer but only aft I squander hours trying to make the thing work. The casualness of the above reply makes it double annoying.

This was their response an hour after I wrote saying I wanted compensation for the inconvience. A bit more consiliotory than the initial response.

"Nicholas, 

Your subscription has been extended 6 months as we work through this android issue. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Collin

Garmin Aviation Support""

Edited by rotorman
Added second response from Garmin