Short / soft field Mooney takeoff

Frank Rizzo

Way to go Frank!

Good thing he wasn’t a greyhound...  :)

Almost caught you!

Actual Mooney, real grass, no animals were harmed.... including the rodent scampering away early in the film...

Great timing... nose comes up at the videographer...

Need to get it perfect though....   the viewers need more Mooney acceleration in ground affect...

Lets see take two! :)

Is that a real airport runway? Or is that somebody’s private strip..?   It is extra long, and nice and smooth...

I’d like to thank the videographer... great job!

Awesome Mooney video...

Best regards,

-a-

I have had very bad experiences with dogs at airports... It is highly recommended that you keep your dog on a leash or better yet not on airport. I while back I was working on restoring a Yak-52 in which the first flight post restoration was "exciting", a second flight a few weeks later brought the whole airport out to watch. A dog decided to chase after the nose wheel of the airplane. It was a sad day for all parties involved. Happened again a few months later with a 182 that I was working on.

I have a friend that was trying to depart Gastons (3M0) in a navion .during takeoff roll a flock of geese suddenly decided to cross the runway. Numerous dead and injured geese and several thousand dollars of parts later he finally got out of there. He told me that the people that were vacationing there (not the owners of the resort) were mad for him injuring the geese and not friendly at all to the chance of him being injured or the damage to his plane. The gist of the attitudes were they wanted to see geese and not planes 

Edited by Planegary
Correcting navion

Full or half flaps and roll the trim half way between normal TO range and full aft (from operating manual),   elevator held full aft until nosewheel very light or a few inches off the ground--It would have been in video but grass a several inches tall--and your Mooney will float off the ground like a C180.      Do not try in M20B w/o right xwind (conditions in video)  or your B will head to the weeds left.      No animals were harmed during the making of this film.

F Rizzo 

Edited by Frank Rizzo
  • Like 2