Wing mounted landing and taxi light installation

PT20J

My lenses are cracked around the holes from someone overtightening the screws and they have the ugly cut to size, beat to fit, paint to match trim rings.

IMG_3858.jpg.3139eef6bd1b1b29b6abfd4a4f42d786.jpg

I purchased new lenses from GLAP and plan to install them without the trim as on the later models. It seams like I've seen some with the wing recess where the lens mounts painted the wing color and some painted black. I'm not sure what would look best. Anyone have any pictures?

Skip

56 minutes ago, Aerodon said:

So if the new Mooney are planning to be more supporting of old customers - I think a wing mounted landing light kit and retrofit approval would be a popular modification if it was reasonably priced?

All the parts are in the IPC. You could call LASAR and price it out. But then, what would you do with the light in the cowling?

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, PT20J said:

All the parts are in the IPC. You could call LASAR and price it out. But then, what would you do with the light in the cowling?

Yes, that's the easy part.  But the IPC indicates from SN 25-1225 onwards.    I had a look through the type certificate, could not find any help there.  There are 'Notes' like the 'encore upgrade can be installed on serial number 1000 onwards' and 'vacuum system can be removed' if no system needs it.  (you should see the debates on other types on whether is legal to remove 'required equipment' on the type certificate.

I want to replace the wingtip recognition lights with midwing mounted lights so i can use the Aveo wingtips.

Don

On 2/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, PT20J said:

I was looking at an M20J that had both at one point.  My plan was to use the cowl light like a jet pilot friend used his nosegear landing light: it is always off unless and until I'm cleared by ATC to land.  Then flip the switch.  That way there is always a handy indicator of whether or not landing clearance was received (as least, as long as the discipline exists to adhere to the plan).

I ended up with an MSE, though, so there went my tri-pointed landing light dreams. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:06 PM, ZuluZulu said:

I was looking at an M20J that had both at one point.  My plan was to use the cowl light like a jet pilot friend used his nosegear landing light: it is always off unless and until I'm cleared by ATC to land.  Then flip the switch.  That way there is always a handy indicator of whether or not landing clearance was received (as least, as long as the discipline exists to adhere to the plan).

I ended up with an MSE, though, so there went my tri-pointed landing light dreams. 

I use the left landing light switch for cleared the approach and right landing light switch for cleared to land. 

• Like 1

After installing LED landing lights in, I just leave them in all the time.  They draw no power and I like being seen.  After thinking about it, I left the taxi light in as halogen to help create heat for anti icing.  Seems the FIKI doesn't extend over the lens so having something in there to create a little heat is a good idea.