Help needed with emergency-exit latch-cover installation.

cnoe

After a recent thread about inadvertent opening of a baggage door in flight I opted to replace the missing emergency-exit latch-cover in my J. In the 8 years I've owned the plane it has never had the cover installed. Though SB-M20-239A has been complied with there is some chance that shifting baggage or a clumsy passenger could accidentally pull the safety-pin and pull the lever while in flight. While I find this unlikely it's still a possibility. So being safety minded, I purchased a new cover from Plane Plastics to install over the exposed latch.

The problem is that neither Plane Plastics, the Mooney parts manual, nor the Mooney service manual offer any guidance or drawings. I'd like to know how the plastic cover is secured over the latch in the factory configuration. I could probably just secure it with Velcro but if someone could describe (and possibly provide a picture) of their installation I would be most appreciative.

I'll provide a pic of the new cover below for reference.

Thanks,

CNoe

IMG_6069-sm.thumb.jpg.752033d0862d55cd14afca887c4d4451.jpg

Thanks for the pic and comments!

I have similar screws in place but they didn't appear to be positioned optimally for securing the cover; one is closer to the lever than the other. From what I can tell yours seems to be similarly spaced. Looking at this pic (below) previously posted by @PT20J it appears that the lower screw hole is indeed located much closer to the handle than the upper screw hole for some reason.

I guess I just need to cut an appropriate slot in each side of the cover and trim to fit.

Thank you very much for the quick reply!

CNoe

handle.jpg.4676dc3f16e987ab78efc9a5717ddfee.jpg

• Like 1