Online Training for "Standing" Ovation 3 310HP G1000

Healthpilot

Welcome aboard HP...

Great question!

What have you been flying prior?

Transition is often about what your experience level is...

It is also often driven by your insurance company...

Stand by...

We have both CFIIs and a really good insurance guy around here...

I don’t believe we have a transition specific document... Great idea!

Do you have a POH that you can start reading?

Nothing better than a Standing Ovation!  :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Healthpilot said:

Hi there! I am new so be patient with me. I loved Mooneys since I was a kid and I am looking at purchasing one. I Googled like a maniac. No joy. Is there any good transition training resource online? Thanks for your help!

First-off, welcome.  Second, take a look at Don Kaye’s @donkaye website below.  Although any Mooney can be a challenge without previous experience and/or proper transition training, the Ovation, Eagle, TLS/Bravo, and Acclaim are major handfuls if you don’t stay ahead of them.  Not sure about your aviation background, and what you may have owned previously, but adding some of this could give us more of an idea about how to direct you appropriately...like where you’re based, your intended mission, what drove you to the Ovation, etc.  Your profile indicates “M20R” with a tail number, yet you mention you’re looking to buy.  Is this your new airplane, or your target airplane?

http://donkaye.com/donkaye.com/Welcome.html

Although Don is located on the opposite coast, his site contains valuable info, and is a good place to start.  @mike_elliott is also available in FL and is another top-notch instructor.  Obviously, the best training is hands-on, so if you have little to no Ovation experience, I’d look for a transition instructor on the East coast.  I’m available just a short distance up the coast as well, so give a shout if I can be of service.

Steve

• Like 5

Thanks Steve and -a- I appreciate your guidance. I have found a general Ovation 2 POH. 

I will review Don Kaye’s training resources. 

I used to fly and tow gliders in Europe but that’s ages ago. My most recent experience is SR22T G3 Avydine v7.

My offer was accepted an hour ago so I guess I semi-own  a Mooney now! 

• Like 4

Welcome and congratulations!
As stated above (long body) Mooney specific transition training is highly recommended.

In addition to this a PC based flight simulator (especially X-Plane 11, X-Aviation provides a nice M20R) is great for learning to master and utilize the G1000 (see link).
Add some G1000 simulation gear (like RealSimGear or VirtualFly) and you can even train your muscle memory while on the ground.

PP thoughts only, no FI..

Best regards,

Matthias

Sim still under construction:

image.png

Edited by MatthiasArnold
Added links to G1000 simulation gear
  • Like 7

Every time I flew a G1000 I learned something new

Do this.

Write a list of standard things.

Say changed transponder code.

Switch to map

Tune Radio

Then go to the sim and figure out how to do it

There are several ways to do the same thing.

Pick one way and know it well.

Transition pilot for the rest of the plane.

• Like 1