Consolidated Listing of Mooney CFI / CFIIs For Checkouts by Area and Model Types

MooneyPoor

This may have been done before and if so, I’m sorry, but I’d like to put a “pinned” topic together listing those CFIs who are willing to do Mooney checkouts for potential new owners.  Breakout the thread by geographic areas, refined by type, or some other easily logical and searchable way. 
I have been contacted to do training for folks from MooneyFlyer or somewhere  but what is usually not known to the new owner is the insurance requirements for time in type.—one in my case needed a Bravo time instructor for instance and I have none.  I got to thinking hell I don’t know anyone near them to refer them either. So they are searching in unfamiliar territory adding to the stress of taking delivery. 

I’d like to see something to ease the transition during an already difficult and stressful time by having a single place to find their Mooney CFI.  

UPDATE INITIAL LIST OF CFIs with the info I’ve been provided so far. I’ll be making a more user friendly version soon. This is just so folks don’t have to search the entire thread to find someone.  If you want to be added please let me know and if you want to include more contact information please let me know that as well. I'm planning on getting info from Mooney Flyer to be included and make sure to not have duplicate entries.

Mooney CFI_June21.xlsx

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 201Steve said:

I agree. That isn’t an inclusive list and I doubt it’s updated often if ever

They have been more active recently it appears and have been quick to help me. Like anything though it’s only good if what you put in it is good. So, it’s incumbent on those listed to communicate their updates to the MooneyFlyer folks. 

Ideally having a pinned posting here would help those needing or seeking transition trainings to find a instructor that fits their needs with less guessing as to whom they should contact. I’m certainly not trying to step on the toes of those who have an outstanding reputation for this type work, just trying to leverage the available resources here without the threads we all see asking for transition training for an Ovation in South Dakota, Bravo in Pa, J in Fla, F in Arkansas. Just put the info out there—searching for your answers unless your @carusoam doesn’t always yield good results.  

58 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

If you’re making a list, I’m a mooney CFI in Knoxville, TN.  

thank you, I could start making the list and let others add as time went on. If you would like to send me the models your able to do, I'll keep a list for now.

If I  can get the pinned message others can add as we go and I'll use the info I gathered initially as the model for others to add  

Here is the classic issue I've noticed. When we say Mooney CFI we really mean a couple model types we have experience with and we may need to be more specific to help the prospective owner needing training because of insurance requirements. 

Maybe I need to bring @Parker_Woodruff in on this too for a baseline--what is the norm these days with models considering new owners with 0 to negligible Mooney time and more specifically what is the requirements trending for the instructor. For instance, My last checkout in a C, I needed 25hrs in type (not model specific) and owner needed 3 hrs total for checkout(ATP rated pilot).  Just some ballpark data would help. Each case will be different but I don't want someone to think my few hrs in an E model will suffice. 

Thank you @Browncbr1and please message me your info and I'll be happy to compile. 

frank 

2 hours ago, MooneyPoor said:

Maybe I need to bring @Parker_Woodruff in on this too for a baseline--what is the norm these days with models considering new owners with 0 to negligible Mooney time and more specifically what is the requirements trending for the instructor. For instance, My last checkout in a C, I needed 25hrs in type (not model specific) and owner needed 3 hrs total for checkout(ATP rated pilot).  Just some ballpark data would help. Each case will be different but I don't want someone to think my few hrs in an E model will suffice. 

It depends.  Sometimes if they have a similar model experience, the insurance company will just specifically approve a CFI.  Other times, they might require the CFI go fly the plane solo for an hour and then give instruction.

I've had to do this twice recently.  Go fly the E solo because I only had C time but obviously know how to run an IO-360 from the F and J models.  Or fly the Acclaim solo for an hour (that was fun) because I had plenty of Ovation time, but not Acclaim time.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2021 at 1:45 PM, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

CFI-I, J-model time, Lincoln Nebraska.

Funny, when I bought my Mooney, my insurance only required I be "signed off" by an instructor; it took about 0.5, or three times around the pattern.

Thank you! I forgot to let you know I took down your info the other day. The insurance requirements vary for sure. Just trying to help new owners find an instructor based their needs. 

22 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

I have limited availability but happy to help when I can. I have significant time in C, E, F, G, J, K, M & R model Mooneys, well over 1,000 hours total in Mooneys. CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP.

Awesome thank you. Still in Arizona?

• MooneyPoor changed the title to Consolidated Listing of Mooney CFI / CFIIs For Checkouts by Area and Model Types

So far I have 10 CFIs with experience and time in type for most models. Florida, Texas and the North East are probably under represented but if anyone else wants to be added just shoot me a message or leave a note here. I’ll post the list in hopes to get it pinned soon. This way new owners, needing training, are able to find an instructor close to them or with the particular type they are needing for their transition into their new Mooney.