Mooney bravo. Ipad vs iphone vs iPhone max

pkofman

I have been flying in a  1998  Bravo with an iPad mini for a long time, I mount to my yoke ( I tried with an grip on side window but I find that really difficult ) and It blocks any view I really have for traffic etc. When the mini is on , it blocks my some of my  instruments . Just curious if others fly with an iPhone or iPhone max on the yoke , if it is functional with a smaller screen while in flight and  while using "foreflight" or "pilot" or whatever efb, do you find the iPhone  screen too small. I have experimented with an iPhone in the plane but I think you can miss allot of detail.  I really love to hear others experience on the tools they use to stay organized while in the air

Thoughts.  Peter

iPad mini on the yoke of my K. Ram mount on the yoke shaft but using the medium extension arm coming from underneath the yoke.  

Doesn’t block anything this way, but if you have a large belly or maybe ate a large burrito for lunch and don’t have long legs, the yoke will be a part of your belly if you need to pull full aft on landing and or rollout on a soft field. 

IMO, anything smaller than a mini would be very difficult for things like plate viewing.  Phone sizes can work well for general efb use, traffic, weather, etc. but certainly aren’t as nice as the larger form factor. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

Mini vs max is 7.9 vs 6.7, but the max has higher resolution and is brighter. I would think that would make reading the approach plate easier, depending on your near vision ability.

Well @ArtVandelay the last 3 words of your post are the limiting factor for sure!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a phone for PlanB... and needed to use it once...  (failed HSI reference, portable waas receiver went off line, main iPad didn’t get the gps chip)

But not mounted...

As a family of four... there are a lot of these near defunct things lying around... each a few years old.

Lots of pinching and zooming required... so... more likely to have a spare iPad for better visibility...

When it comes to pocket nav devices... more is better...   :)

Used my PlanB phone while at home today... looking up the TPA at a nearby airport...

I have WingX loaded on everything... and reference it often... 

Great question Peter! 

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, 81X said:

iPad mini on the yoke of my K. Ram mount on the yoke shaft but using the medium extension arm coming from underneath the yoke.  

I configure the exact same way.  With the ram arm coming out from underneath the yoke, your iPad mini will cover the center of the yoke in between the handles and should only block your view of the “stby static” and boost pump switches.

5 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

I configure the exact same way.  With the ram arm coming out from underneath the yoke, your iPad mini will cover the center of the yoke in between the handles and should only block your view of the “stby static” and boost pump switches.

maximize benefit and minimize drawbacks such as blocking things. 

While we are on the topic, It also blocks the map light button the yoke which is arguably the most useless thing in my Mooney. 

1 hour ago, 81X said:

maximize benefit and minimize drawbacks such as blocking things. 

While we are on the topic, It also blocks the map light button the yoke which is arguably the most useless thing in my Mooney. 

+1 for the RAM mount under the yoke. Works great. It does block the map light switch and the bulb as well. In fact, it’s a good idea to remove the bulb since the arm can break it.

• Like 2