Speedbrake Switch Type and Location

smwash02

My Encore has the factory vacuum brakes with the deploy switch on the yoke, but I'm currently upgrading the brakes to the electric ones.

Due to some changes in the electric version, a decision has to be made about how to display and deploy the brakes.

1) Keep the yoke switch, add a second LED so you can show left/right brake (in the event one doesn't deploy)

2) Keep the yoke switch, add the new lighted button (Here is an example)

3) Ditch the yoke switch and use the new lighted button (seen above)

I asked them to send the button because I like the look of it, but I really like the yoke button for deploying.

Unfortunately the switch and button are latching so you can't have both active for deploying.

What would you do?

Edited by smwash02

I have electric ones on my J. I have a lighted button on the panel. Push to deploy, push again to retract. I am not sure why you would need an indicator light for each speedbrake. I think you would figure it out pretty quick if one didn’t deploy. 

C499FAFB-4E1A-4E4C-BAA9-CFE4B177758D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I agree you'd find out pretty fast, but to comply with the installation instructions it's what's required. (Attached here)

Each electric brake has a wire indicating if it's deployed or not and that gets routed to either the lighted switch or the two LEDs.

Does your switch not have the 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT within it with two bulbs?

Switches.png

3) Ditch the switch and use the new lighted button (seen above)

I'd vote for number 3 - I do believe STC call for a light of some kind somewhere to indicate on or off.  They are tested to be OK if only one is deployed.  (Just read previous post - they must have changed the lighting requirement - my '90 J just had one light center panel above yoke).  check your install instructions on your new yokes and see what it says.

• Thanks 1

Do you have the factory annunciator panel? It might have a speed brake annunciator position you can use. My 1994 M20J with electric speed brakes has it.

I have a love/hate relationship with the yoke switch. It's handy when I want to deploy (which I seldom do), but if I reach for the left knob on the Aspen PFD I sometimes brush it and deploy them accidentally. Did this once while extricating myself from icing and immediately put them back down, but the left one collected enough ice to hang up part way. I don't think it would take much ice to hang them up completely. I've taken to pulling the breaker if there is any chance of ice.

Skip

• Thanks 1

94 O has one light integral to the annunciator panel...

Light never gets used...

Because... brakes are better visually confirmed out the window...  :)

At low speeds, a single brake is not terribly surprising... as their effectiveness goes away with speed...

They either deploy or don’t deploy... they won’t be part of your usual instrument scan...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smwash02 said:

I agree you'd find out pretty fast, but to comply with the installation instructions it's what's required. (Attached here)

Each electric brake has a wire indicating if it's deployed or not and that gets routed to either the lighted switch or the two LEDs.

Does your switch not have the 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT within it with two bulbs?

Switches.png

Mine are Precise Flight Speed Brakes. From the install manual: “The SpeedBrake switch is activated ON to fully deploy and OFF to retract the SpeedBrakes. The annunciation indicates deployment when both SpeedBrake® units are deployed. A failure of a single cartridge drive unit will prevent the Annunciator light from illuminating.”

1 hour ago, PT20J said:

Do you have the factory annunciator panel? It might have a speed brake annunciator position you can use. My 1994 M20J with electric speed brakes has it.

I have a love/hate relationship with the yoke switch. It's handy when I want to deploy (which I seldom do), but if I reach for the left knob on the Aspen PFD I sometimes brush it and deploy them accidentally. Did this once while extricating myself from icing and immediately put them back down, but the left one collected enough ice to hang up part way. I don't think it would take much ice to hang them up completely. I've taken to pulling the breaker if there is any chance of ice.

Skip

I do have the factory annunciator panel and the brakes are also factory; however, they did not include it in the annunciation panel on mine. I've attached a photo with a red circle where the current light is. The current light is tied to the latch of the switch and is merely an indication of "you pressed the button".

I get the love/hate with it and I really like your preemptive ice plan, I will adopt that. When I bought the plane I didn't think I'd use them, but I've found good use in them for various reasons usually when flying IFR since I always get a slam dunk into my home base. I'm based between Austin and San Antonio and coming from either direction I can't get below 4500AGL until about 10 miles from the airport.

panel.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt M said:

Mine are Precise Flight Speed Brakes. From the install manual: “The SpeedBrake switch is activated ON to fully deploy and OFF to retract the SpeedBrakes. The annunciation indicates deployment when both SpeedBrake® units are deployed. A failure of a single cartridge drive unit will prevent the Annunciator light from illuminating.”

Do you know if you have the 100 or 2000 series? The 2000 series is able to determine if one or the other doesn't deploy and retract both preventing the light from coming on. Due to this feature I suspect the indication of both brakes isn't required on the panel. The 100 series, which I got so I wouldn't have to reskin the wing, doesn't have that ability.

Just now, carusoam said:

Mike,

How long ago were your speed brakes installed?

Wondering if there is a particular year that the two light system became available...

Best regards,

-a-

PO put them in.  I don't have the logs handy, but it was after 2005.  I'll post when I look up the exact date.

I have electric ones on my J. I have a lighted button on the panel. Push to deploy, push again to retract. I am not sure why you would need an indicator light for each speedbrake. I think you would figure it out pretty quick if one didn’t deploy. 

I have this version as well. PO put it underneath the throttle control so I couldn’t see it and sometimes I would accidentally hit it, supposedly it should be located near the throttle. My hangar fairy move it down to the center console.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...