Arriving in the future

Seefuture

My last post was in the classifieds section after our Ovation found a new home.  A couple of folks asked what was next so here goes.  As of late October, I have been working on getting used to flying a Baron 58. We looked at several 1980's legacy examples with the intention of converting to a Garmin panel but ended up connecting with this one by chance.  It was newer and already had most of the avionics work we were looking for done.  We completed the purchase in the summer of 2020 and then spent several months working on a little optional overhaul work, fixing cosmetics, and frustratingly, dealing with some significant deficiencies in the avionics install work that had not shown up in our pre-buy. As has often been said in this forum, buyer beware...   just because a shop may hold prestigious dealership status for one manufacturer or another does not mean that the work they are doing necessarily meets the standards one would expect. Ultimately, we got the plane to the condition you see here and to say the least…I am a happy boy.  Kudos to Clarence (M20Doc) and the folks at TriCity for their relentless attention to detail, depth of knowledge about fixing / maintaining aircraft, and enthusiasm. Thanks also, to Jasper and the lads at Mid-Canada Mods, for getting the avionics where they needed to be. I started flying the Baron in the Fall, and today marks my first 100 hours in the plane.  I already had a MEL rating (thanks, Stu!), and with the help of my Mooney CFI, who also happens to teach in Barons full time, the transition went smoothly (thanks, Dave). I am still fine-tuning things and fly duel often, but my MIFR went well (thanks, Ed), and as you can see, I am starting to stretch the Barons' legs now. I kept the tail number, it's vain yes but I kind of like flying C-FUTR (See Future) and, with the help of those I have mentioned, a cast of many others who encouraged me (you meet the nicest people in aviation) and last but by no means least, my better half (couldn't have done it without you  C!) I have arrived at and am flying in the future I had been aspiring to. Be well, everyone, fly safe….PS..yes, I miss the Ovation.

IMG_1755.JPG

IMG_1760.JPG

IMG_3154.PNG

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1780.JPG

SLN_2184.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Thanks everyone. So.. yes..2 x IO550 (300hp) normally aspirated.  Keeping the tail number was actually not a huge issue process and paper work wise other than everything was delayed at Transport Canada due to COVID.  As I understand it, the biggest consideration in changing tail numbers generally (both in Canada and the US) is the cost of replacing the actual numbers / letters which can apparently run to several AMU's if they are painted on.   Fortunately, they were vinyl decals on both the Mooney and the Baron which are much less expensive and easy to remove / replace with the updated ones.  I agree, the panel does look a little high in the photo but the Baron front seats are measurably higher off the floor than the Mooneys and so I honestly had not noticed it.  The whole "sight picture" is generally very different..something to do with neither of the 550's sitting straight in front of the pilot any more...(!).  Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1