M20F lower exhaust fell off. In flight

I replaced my C's exhaust with one from Knisley. Here is the page on their "modified" exhaust. I'm not sure how 'modified' it is, but I'm sure they can tell you if it fits.

Aircraft Exhaust also has one listed, similarly calling it a 'conversion'.

Did it make a noise when it jettisoned off?

Perhaps you have them already, but It looks like you're also going to need the exhaust hanger bracket and clamp. LASAR has the SB version of the exhaust hangar, here.

Best of luck!

Edited by smwash02

Knisley repaired the exhaust tube on my C a few years ago when the seam in the tube started to split.  By reusing the flange it was classified as a repair, not a new part.  Send them your flange and it will be better than new.

Any MSC can sell you the hardware, tube clamp, and exhaust hangar springs (or did you have a belt style hangar?).  Loewen Mooney Salvage might have what you need, including the exhaust tube, if you want to go that route.

https://www.loewensmooneysalvage.com/

image.thumb.jpeg.c0bb54cdeb186deec913c12e5e64c4c5.jpeg

• Like 2

Curious to know ...

what  did it sound like?

was this in cruise  ?

How long were you aloft after the tail pipe gave way?

Did the EGT'S go way up?

I am glad you made it down safe.

you want to try Alan Fox or possibly  Lowen  salvage I don't  if this still valid 707.263.0472, Discount Aircraft Salvage  (509) 276-2849.

Sorry for all the questions but I think it is great when people are willing shared the information and experiences  it makes  us all better pilots,mechanics ,....

Thanks,

James '67C

After the exit of the muffler, it will be challenging to notice any difference...

The noise has been muffled...

The exhaust pressure has been dropped...

You might get some rattling from a loose pipe in the wind...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Some tail pipes need some expert help...

There are some Power Flow exhausts that got the tail pipe designed for something else...  when applied to the Mooney, they stick out into the wind...

Kind of defeats the purpose of the PF exhaust... :)

There are a few Mooneys where the tail pipe just disintegrates over the decades... starting at the weld at the open end...  probably a weather/environmental challenge, partly...

If you have pics of Ti tail pipes for O/IO360s and IO550s.... that would be extra interesting...

Best regards,

-a-

On 2/12/2021 at 1:27 PM, GEE-BEE said:

The duct is poor quality work , use finished ends and smooth lined clamp

This is why I use Titanium in my exhaust builds per sample as 321 does not last

1/3 the weight ,Ti is used on all turbine exhaust apllications

tail pipe ss.jpg

tailpipe notches.jpg

Are you able to stretch the end of the tube to fit over a larger tube?  

Clarence

Guy,

Do you see anything on the horizon to improve on the single-use V-band clamps used on turbo exhausts?

That first section of pipe in turbos is under pressure, and very hot...

The erosion on the pipes is relatively high, leading to pipe thinning over the years...

We have had some owners report wall thicknesses so thin they could poke a tool through it easily...

We have had owners not know their v-bands were getting torqued more than recommended...

Exhaust leaks before the turbo can be very dangerous... from CO leaks to cutting torches...

It would be interesting if Ti or changes in clamps can improve maintenance for turbo owners...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GEE-BEE said:

We design tube to slide next to muffler bead per oem.

Clamp secures bead to Bead

I’m thinking these would be nice on my Comanche 400.  The current tailpipe has the upper end stretched to fit over the exit pipe of the muffler.  The clamp has a pin which locks them together, not the beaded clamp design of the Beech

Clarence