310 STC Prop question.

MATTS875

17 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

You need 1 of the 3 hartzell Shimitar props, or the 4 blade MT prop. 

51 minutes ago, Parker_Woodruff said:

Needs a new prop

Ditto.  The Harzell F7498 (Acclaim Type-S prop) is the best bang for your buck today.  Depending on whether you have TKS installed or not, this prop will gain you between 4 and 7 knots over the "standard" F7693/DF-2 scimitar.  The 7498 also weighs 7.5 pounds less.  Stay away from the composite flavor unless you enjoy spending $27k+ on a prop that will perform the same as the standard 7693/DF-2.

https://hartzellprop.com/products/top-prop/mooney/mooney-m20r-m20s-and-m20tn/

Let me know if you need a hand procuring when/if the time comes.

Steve

From what I’ve seen the type S needs to babied a little more than the standard top prop. Seems to be picking up nicks a little faster.  Too soon to tell but I’m curious how it will look with 2k+ hrs. However, it’s absolutely worth it for the speed and weight advantages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MIm20c said:

From what I’ve seen the type S needs to babied a little more than the standard top prop. Seems to be picking up nicks a little faster.  Too soon to tell but I’m curious how it will look with 2k+ hrs. However, it’s absolutely worth it for the speed and weight advantages. 

Completely agree.  Given it's thinner, it does wear a bit more than the standard.  I'm finishing in the avionics shop on Saturday, so I'll grab some pics tomorrow if it helps anyone.  I have just over 700 hours on mine, and it certainly does show wear.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2021 at 6:11 PM, StevenL757 said:

Stay away from the composite flavor unless you enjoy spending $27k+ on a prop that will perform the same as the standard 7693/DF-2.

I am sure that they have gone up in 3 years but @FoxMike paid about $15K for a 4 blade in 2018. I paid about 13K last year for a 3 blade.

37 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

Last year i got a quote i believe for 12.8k in socal for the 7498 and the 7693.

Yeah, that sounds right.  My 7498 was just over 15k, as I had to add TKS slinger ring, nozzles, and overshoes.

44 minutes ago, Tim Jodice said:

I am sure that they have gone up in 3 years but @FoxMike paid about $15K for a 4 blade in 2018. I paid about 13K last year for a 3 blade.

The 4-blade MTV-14 for the Ovation platform is easily in the low 20’s today, unfortunately.  If I remember correctly, it was only a slight bit less back in 2014 when I was shopping for new props when the engine was being changed out.

28 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

The 4-blade MTV-14 for the Ovation platform is easily in the low 20’s today, unfortunately.  If I remember correctly, it was only a slight bit less back in 2014 when I was shopping for new props when the engine was being changed out.

I will call MT Monday. I hope it has not gone up $6K+ in 3 years.

I am unfamiliar with hartzell's composite pricing other than a friend I made at the airport and he owns a piper matrix. he said it was $12-13K just to overhaul it. 

I could see Hartzells being in the $20-30Ks Hartzells are true structural composite propellers where as a MT is basically a wooden propeller with a composite cover simply to protect the wood and is not structural. 

1 service benefit I know of is how easy it is to repair a wooden propeller. When I was in Deland having my propeller installed I was able to check out MT facility and I saw this.

This blade was a typical prop strike. You can see where the wood grain is no longer straight and it has curves in it. that is where it snapped. it is repaired to new spec. It costs about $1600 a blade.

20200824_093152.jpg

Just now, MATTS875 said:

Ok. Thanks for all the input. Seems that the 310 makes a big difference in take off and climb. Best to find one that’s already had the STC done

It makes a pretty big difference. I made the jump from 244hp to 310 and was blown away to say the least

280 to 310... is a holy cow... seat of the pants... no instruments required...

You know you have full power with all of the acceleration going on...

Starting with 244hp...has got to make this upgrade super worthwhile...  :)

If unsure... go for a ride...  I flew with @Cris in his Screamin’ Eagle...

Best regards,

-a-