Oil temperature too low.

Ever since I installed a set of Guy Ginby’s baffle seals on my 252 my engine runs nice and cool, but I can’t seem to get my oil temperature above about 145 F in the winter and not much hotter than that in the summer.

I suspected my vernatherm was stuck open, so during my annual we did the pan-of-boiling-water test, which it passed with flying colours. I have the winterizing kit with the door that folds down and partially blocks the oil cooler. It is closed. 
Today I climbed to 9500’ at full power with the cowl flaps closed (It was -10C OAT) and then ran at 75% at 100 ROP and never got the hottest cylinder over 320 degrees. Oil temperature peaked at 145F. On a hot day in the summer I might see 165F.

I guess running too cool is a lot better than running too hot, but I would really like to be able to get the oil temp up at least above 180.

Engine is TSIO360MB. Both the analog gauge and the EDM830 agree on the low temp. Any ideas on what I should try next? 

Remove vernatherm just to make sure it is working...

Sounds like it isn’t...

It goes in a pot of water... with a thermometer...

See what temp the water is, when Verna activates...

For extra credit... see what temp she closes up again...

Our vernatherms have specs if not sure...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Squeaky wrote he did test the vernatherm... And a vernatherm won't help him with cylinders he considers too cool (320). Or maybe that is just for reference.

But yeah, did you do the full test, with a thermometer, or just that it opens and shuts at some random temp?

Me, I wouldn't worry about the cylinder temps not going over 320; for oil, yes, you do want it to warm up some more - see this thread for a similar discussion.

20 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

Ever since I installed a set of Guy Ginby’s baffle seals on my 252 my engine runs nice and cool, but I can’t seem to get my oil temperature above about 145 F in the winter and not much hotter than that in the summer.

I suspected my vernatherm was stuck open, so during my annual we did the pan-of-boiling-water test, which it passed with flying colours. I have the winterizing kit with the door that folds down and partially blocks the oil cooler. It is closed. 
Today I climbed to 9500’ at full power with the cowl flaps closed (It was -10C OAT) and then ran at 75% at 100 ROP and never got the hottest cylinder over 320 degrees. Oil temperature peaked at 145F. On a hot day in the summer I might see 165F.

I guess running too cool is a lot better than running too hot, but I would really like to be able to get the oil temp up at least above 180.

Engine is TSIO360MB. Both the analog gauge and the EDM830 agree on the low temp. Any ideas on what I should try next? 

Available from your local MSC.

3606AE34-A10B-44F4-BCEC-56CFDCB7EFD4.png

954E6F1F-7E1A-4D91-9759-A772D865786D.jpeg