Was an oil filter an option on Mooney’s?

nels

My cousin bought a 67  Mooney E model a little while back and it’s time to change oil. He couldn’t find the oil filter so I stopped by and we took all the cowling off and there just isn’t an oil filter to be found. Was it an option or is it hidden somewhere?

Many left the factory without one. My 1970 C had the filter added by STC at some point, between the engine and firewall. There's also an oil filter relocation STC, but I don't know where it moved to--hopefully somewhere more accessible. 

No oil filter seemed to be common prior to Y2K...

Oil gets changed so frequently, some people didn’t think much about it...

Cutting filters open, and performing oil analysis, while looking for cam parts, and discussing diamond like coatings have become aviation’s national past time...  :)

Air filters haven’t changed much either... What looked like a step up, really wasn’t...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-