Oxygen System Overhaul

Fabio

Hi Guys,

so I have a question especially for you flying in Florida.

Since I need to get the oxygen system inspected and maybe also overhauled I wanted to ask you, for the ones that have an O2 System in their Mooney, where one can get an inspection in Florida without having to spend a fortune on it.

The story behind that is the following one:

I own an M20K in Europe and I had several offers over here which were around 650-750€ for a complete assembly (cylinder+regulator) inspection. I have to get over to FL anyway for FAA related matters, so my idea was to get that stuff done simultaneusly.

I thought that over there the cost for an inspection would be less then over here but I got proven wrong: about 1000$ for a standard OH and 1600 for an average one.

Does someone of you know better places to get the OH done or is that estimation I got realistic?

On 2/3/2021 at 12:34 PM, Fabio said:

Hi Guys,

so I have a question especially for you flying in Florida.

Since I need to get the oxygen system inspected and maybe also overhauled I wanted to ask you, for the ones that have an O2 System in their Mooney, where one can get an inspection in Florida without having to spend a fortune on it.

The story behind that is the following one:

I own an M20K in Europe and I had several offers over here which were around 650-750€ for a complete assembly (cylinder+regulator) inspection. I have to get over to FL anyway for FAA related matters, so my idea was to get that stuff done simultaneusly.

I thought that over there the cost for an inspection would be less then over here but I got proven wrong: about 1000$ for a standard OH and 1600 for an average one.

Does someone of you know better places to get the OH done or is that estimation I got realistic?

Fabio - let us know what you need.  We are right in Bonita Springs.  APF is the closest airport to us.   Reach out to me customerservice@aerox.com....  Scott  

• 3 weeks later...

jgarrison

•  
  •  
  • Basic Member
  • 220 posts

I just sell the bottles. 115cf Kevlar for $1475

Must you use the same type of bottle kevlar,aluminum ,steel that your system was stc'd with?

Edited by Georgethenault@gmail.com

Hey George,

What do you have in mind?

A lot depends on the system that you have...

Most likely, there are various bottles that will work with your system, from sizes to materials...

Let’s ask Jimmy, he has a ton of experience with this...  @jgarrison (O2 bottle questions above)

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but why...?

The only thing you really want to avoid...

Is filling the tank with pressurized air... and forgetting that it’s air left in the tank...

Picture climbing into the flight levels believing you have O2... all the flow meters are reading good numbers...

But you are falling asleep...

Your chance of remembering your mistake while falling asleep is going to be pretty slim...  the usual problem solving techniques aren’t going to cover this error...

When Refilling the tank with O2, you can flush out the few cubic feet of air you have in the tank... to replace it with 100% O2 as expected...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Yes, but why...?

The only thing you really want to avoid...

Is filling the tank with pressurized air... and forgetting that it’s air left in the tank...

Picture climbing into the flight levels believing you have O2... all the flow meters are reading good numbers...

But you are falling asleep...

Your chance of remembering your mistake while falling asleep is going to be pretty slim...  the usual problem solving techniques aren’t going to cover this error...

When Refilling the tank with O2, you can flush out the few cubic feet of air you have in the tank... to replace it with 100% O2 as expected...

Best regards,

-a-

Part of a pre-buy? My question wasn't rhetorical. I'm looking at an M20K with O2 system, but want to make sure it's functional. I can't just fly it to the nearest O2 filling station... suggestions?

15 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

Part of a pre-buy? My question wasn't rhetorical. I'm looking at an M20K with O2 system, but want to make sure it's functional. I can't just fly it to the nearest O2 filling station... suggestions?

I probably mis-understood your question...

If having a pre-buy done... you might want to ask the shop... what gets tested, and how they do it... and what else you want to get tested...

O2 systems and avionics equipment probably don’t get checked on the basic AW pre-buys...

For a more complex pre-buy... have the mechanic fly the plane and run a complete test of every system...

Including filling the tank with O2... and gas tanks to the top....

In the end you will have proved that everything in the sales ad works as advertised... and the sales price matches the ad...

When the plane costs as much as a house... this makes sense...

When the plane costs as much as a car... the prebuy expenses get large in comparison...

My last pre-purchase inspection included a flight to DMax’s shop... every box and switch got checked on the way there to see that they were working...  if it had an O2 system... that would have been checked too...

You had picked only one concern... and selected a sub-optimum way to test it...

Just trying to help...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

12 hours ago, carusoam said:

I probably mis-understood your question...

If having a pre-buy done... you might want to ask the shop... what gets tested, and how they do it... and what else you want to get tested...

O2 systems and avionics equipment probably don’t get checked on the basic AW pre-buys...

For a more complex pre-buy... have the mechanic fly the plane and run a complete test of every system...

Including filling the tank with O2... and gas tanks to the top....

In the end you will have proved that everything in the sales ad works as advertised... and the sales price matches the ad...

When the plane costs as much as a house... this makes sense...

When the plane costs as much as a car... the prebuy expenses get large in comparison...

My last pre-purchase inspection included a flight to DMax’s shop... every box and switch got checked on the way there to see that they were working...  if it had an O2 system... that would have been checked too...

You had picked only one concern... and selected a sub-optimum way to test it...

Just trying to help...

Best regards,

-a-

I have many concerns and am open to any and all advice on addressing those concerns. Thanks for the input! :)

• Like 1