Flight planning software airway suggestion

RobertGary1

Decades ago we had flight planning software on the PC that would allow you to do cool things like provide an origin and destination and it would show the airway routes and which have the best winds and lowest altitudes. When planning flight in winter and icing its very helpful to see the lowest altitude route for ifr flight. I don't see that in any of the current iPad application. I hope we haven't lost such a valuable tool.

The first one to hit commercial semi-success sued everyone else into oblivion, kinda like if Henry Ford had sued all other car manufacturers because he patented the idea of making and selling automobiles on an assembly line. Runway Finder or some such, a screaming little man with a lawyer on retainer who drove just about everyone iincluding himself right out of business. He was an unbearable ass, going broke couldn't have happened to a more deserving individual (except maybe the loudmouth lawyer) . . . .

7 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

When planning flight in winter and icing its very helpful to see the lowest altitude route for ifr flight.

ForeFlight suggests routes that have been cleared by ATC and the altitudes assigned.  
Select the Aeronautical Map to show a plan view and the MEA is displayed if you touch any segment of your route. 
The route profile will graphically show MOCA.  And the profile view can show forecast icing in a vertical display.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Decades ago we had flight planning software on the PC that would allow you to do cool things like provide an origin and destination and it would show the airway routes and which have the best winds and lowest altitudes. When planning flight in winter and icing its very helpful to see the lowest altitude route for ifr flight. I don't see that in any of the current iPad application. I hope we haven't lost such a valuable tool.

Hi Robert, take a look at FlyQ (web and app version), it does provide some optimized auto routing options using airways. As an instructor, I have experience with several of the EFB but I'm not endorsing this one over any of the others.  Take a look and see if it meets your needs.  Good luck.

kurt

30 minutes ago, FlySafe said:

Hi Robert, take a look at FlyQ (web and app version), it does provide some optimized auto routing options using airways. As an instructor, I have experience with several of the EFB but I'm not endorsing this one over any of the others.  Take a look and see if it meets your needs.  Good luck.

kurt

I did try but it was so hard to figure out I gave up on it. Today I pay for Garmin Pilot, I have free Wing X and next week my free foreflight subscription starts so I’ll try that. 

im surprised the old flight software was much better than what we have today with a list of optional routes based on altitude and winds, performance data showing runway requirements etc. 

54 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

I did try but it was so hard to figure out I gave up on it. Today I pay for Garmin Pilot, I have free Wing X and next week my free foreflight subscription starts so I’ll try that. 

im surprised the old flight software was much better than what we have today with a list of optional routes based on altitude and winds, performance data showing runway requirements etc. 

Check out Avare, it's free. But unavailable for iapple-stuff . . . . Works well for me, once I figured out how it works (mostly). Also need to discriminate between helpful and idiotic how-to videos on youtube. :wacko:

7 hours ago, Hank said:

... kinda like if Henry Ford had sued all other car manufacturers because he patented the idea of making and selling automobiles on an assembly line...

Straying from the intended topic... the person who did this was George Selden.  He had the patent (before Benz's car) and was collecting from every wannabe auto manufacturer for a long time.  

Not a historian, just a nerdy pilot.  

1800wxbrief.com can mostly get you there,  once you hit brief, first thing you get is a quick chart showing you hazards and such.

honestly, if they had fuel prices i probably wouldn't need anything else for planning.

My second goto is now Garmin Pilot, now that they've enabled a lot of warnings and such in the map view.

if you really want it on your computer, connect your phone to your computer using the "Your Phone" app, then work with the app thru your comp 8)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

1800wxbrief.com can mostly get you there,  once you hit brief, first thing you get is a quick chart showing you hazards and such.

honestly, if they had fuel prices i probably wouldn't need anything else for planning.

My second goto is now Garmin Pilot, now that they've enabled a lot of warnings and such in the map view.

if you really want it on your computer, connect your phone to your computer using the "Your Phone" app, then work with the app thru your comp 8)

Or course you can do it all manually. I just miss when your say you wanted to go from A to B and it showed you a list of routes with max altitude required and winds. Then you just pick the circuitous route who’s airways stay below the freezing level. 

On 2/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, BDPetersen said:

Could be your recalling Flightsoft. It offered leg by leg optimum wind/altitude, something ForeFlight doesn’t ( or at least I haven’t figured out how). Neil Christman was the developer, always at OSH.

Yes! I think that's what it was. Great planning software. Why is that technology now lost?