PIREP: Rudy Aircraft Instruments

Tahir K

My airplane is currently going through a full panel upgrade. I decided to keep the original airspeed indicator and attitude indicators as back ups. I decided to send them to Rudy Aircraft Instruments in Rudy, Arkansas. I shipped it in a pretty small box wrapped with quite a bit of bubble wrap however the box arrived to Rudy damage. I was called by Meredith as soon as she opened the box and notified me that the attitude indicator took quite a bit of damage but that the airspeed indicator was fine. She told me that they would only charge me for the parts that were needed to fix it. 

From the day I shipped it till the day it was finished and shipped out... it took only a total of 7 days. I was very impressed with the speed at which they were able to overhaul, fix, and paint the dials. I included before and after pictures for both of the dials. The work done was excellent and I am really happy with how they turned out, the speed at which they were completed, and the reasonable price that was charged. 

Word of mouth goes a long way for us so this is just my PIREP on the great experience that I had! 

IMG_6707.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

• Thanks 2

Just now, carusoam said:

Nice pirep for Rudy Aircraft instruments, Tahir!

Thanks for sharing it...

in exchange, I hope you like my gravity switch flipping capabilities...

:)

Best regards,

-a-

D7BDC120-8F9A-4E54-A148-572791F3F031.jpeg

1BD9C7C9-ABC8-458F-BD65-410167144061.jpeg

ADA47BC5-08D5-4580-8CAD-131B70B28CFF.jpeg

E2514F9F-92F4-4AF0-A61E-DFEB3DBEB682.jpeg

I tried to figure out how to switch them myself but knew deep down I could count on you doing it regardless! Thanks for the help as always.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Tahir K said:

My airplane is currently going through a full panel upgrade. I decided to keep the original airspeed indicator and attitude indicators as back ups. I decided to send them to Rudy Aircraft Instruments in Rudy, Arkansas. I shipped it in a pretty small box wrapped with quite a bit of bubble wrap however the box arrived to Rudy damage. I was called by Meredith as soon as she opened the box and notified me that the attitude indicator took quite a bit of damage but that the airspeed indicator was fine. She told me that they would only charge me for the parts that were needed to fix it. 

From the day I shipped it till the day it was finished and shipped out... it took only a total of 7 days. I was very impressed with the speed at which they were able to overhaul, fix, and paint the dials. I included before and after pictures for both of the dials. The work done was excellent and I am really happy with how they turned out, the speed at which they were completed, and the reasonable price that was charged. 

Word of mouth goes a long way for us so this is just my PIREP on the great experience that I had! 

IMG_6707.jpg

IMG_7483.jpg

IMG_7481.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

Wow, that looks fantastic. Nice. 

• Like 1

Fantastic restoration result!

We have the same AI and the clock face looks the same after 40 years.

I remember, i read something that normally the clock face itself might  not be the real problem, but dirt on the clock face and on the glass.

I also was told, that you can remove the glass and clean all.

But how? Has someone opened this kind of AI or different ones? From the picture it seems that there is a kind of a spring which hold the glass in place.

I found thiis tool: https://www.siebert.aero/products/Katalog/Flugzeugbau-ausrstung/Bordinstrumente/Instrumentenzubehr/Spezialschlssel-fr-Instrumentenglser.html

• Like 2

Most of our instruments do a lot of breathing each time we change altitudes...

Lots of dirt and other materials end up on the inside of the lens...

Depending on the instrument itself there are some mechanical bits holding it in place... an possibly a seal...

Taking it apart and putting it back properly can be a five minute process with the right tools and skill...

Good to have an instrument shop on field for this...

I have sent instruments out... they come back looking new... for not much dough...

PP thoughts only, not an instrument guru...

Best regards,

-a-

@Tahir K If you don't mind me asking what they ended up charging for the airspeed indicator? I have an Airspeed and Vertical speed indicators that are functional but in need of a refresh.

Nevermind, I finally saw it on the list only after I posed my question.

Edited by AerostarDriver
  • Like 1

I second Rudy Aircraft Instruments! We used them 2 years ago for a friend's attitude indicator and heading indicator overhaul on his Cherokee. The turnaround time was about a week and a half (from us sending it out to getting it back in the mail) and if my memory serves, we paid little over $350 or so for each gauge. Their workmanship is excellent; I cannot find a thing to complain about.

I've recommended them for other vacuum gauge operators in need of overhaul. 

• Like 1