Newbie Interior Question?

Ripley98

Ok, I am having trouble finding legal binding regulations on aircraft interior. I know a very reputable car interior fabricator, and am wondering if he can recover the seats in my m20f? I am trying to do as much research as possible to make sure this is legal to do. I keep finding AC 20-178, which talks about the burn test, but this is only guidance and not a regulation on compliance.

So the quick question I have is can he recover my interior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ripley98 said:

Ok, I am having trouble finding legal binding regulations on aircraft interior. I know a very reputable car interior fabricator, and am wondering if he can recover the seats in my m20f? I am trying to do as much research as possible to make sure this is legal to do. I keep finding AC 20-178, which talks about the burn test, but this is only guidance and not a regulation on compliance.

So the quick question I have is can he recover my interior?

Get a burn test for the materials used, and keep it with the logs. I believe thats all that has to be done.

• Like 1

Correct me if this is wrong.

25 years ago I had seats recovered by the Auto upholstery shop I had used numerous times for my classic cars.

when I ask around I got the “burn test” advice above. 
unless the material being used was leather because leather by definition was fire safe.

My question is does leather require a burn test?

Just now, RJBrown said:

Correct me if this is wrong.

25 years ago I had seats recovered by the Auto upholstery shop I had used numerous times for my classic cars.

when I ask around I got the “burn test” advice above. 
unless the material being used was leather because leather by definition was fire safe.

My question is does leather require a burn test?

To be safe id get a burn test anytime some new fabric or material goes in the plane. Its 25 ish bucks to do so, and may avoid some pretty big hassles.

When we replaced our interior we purchased bulk material from Airtex and had our local auto seat cover shop do the work. Worked out fine and I still have material for the future.  At the time we discussed why I supplied material specific to the burn test. The auto interior guy said the only difference between Airtex and his material was the fact that the Airtex material had been tested. They both are manufactured to the same standard.

• Like 2

Underwriters Labs is a typical resource for burn tests...

They have standards for materials like this...

They cut strips to dimension...

Put in a holder light one end...

Observe what happens next...

Before paying for official data... cut a strip, put in the fire place... light one end... observe...

If It flames up, melts, and drips flaming drops... that would be bad...

There is plenty of this written up in threads around here

Probably UL-94 flame test... might get you started...

PP thoughts only, not a materials scientist... or a Material girl either... (See if Ross hears me) Go Madonna! :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Generally speaking repairing and refinishing the interior furnishings are considered preventative maintenance. You still have to follow the regulations though.

I wonder if this is one of the situations where you can follow the AC which allows you to comply with the modern Part 23 regulations or the regulations that the aircraft was originally certified under (CAR3). I don't have a link offhand but I believe that Part 23 and CAR3 both have language on burn resistance requirements.

11 hours ago, Ripley98 said:

Thanks for all the input. What does the burn test consist of and who can do it?

If you Google the phrase "FAA Burn Test" you can come up with about 100 places. Not hard to get a burn certification. That said, there is a lot of material out there that is pre-certified. You really don't have to look hard.

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

For the most part, you don’t want to be in a Burning car either...

-a-

Being outside a burning car is okay, though. 

Being outside a burning plane is worse than being in a burning plane.  Unless you're on the ground.  Or unless you have a parachute...