JPI EDM 730 Screen Failing

dzeleski

Kind of annoyed by this since the screen isnt even a year old yet and its already failing. Any one else ever have these issues? The marks you see when the screen is off translate to lines of bad pixels when the screen is on. Airplane is hangared and when I travel I cover the airplane so the avionics dont just bake in the sun.

Going to reach out to JPI and my dealer today to see what can be done.

Edit: Reached out to JPI, its under warranty but I need to send in the whole unit which blows.

imageedit_2_4262526968.jpg

Removing the whole unit is trivial, just needs the ring bracket loosened and 2-3 plugs disconnected.  Probably can't be reinstalled under preventative maintenance tho ;) FWIW, the couple times I needed to send stuff in to JPI, turnaround has been less than 2 weeks.

I've had my 730 for about a year and a half now, haven't seen that as an issue.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Things happen. I can't imagine how they would repair it without you sending it back to them.

I actually installed it so its not that I dont know how to remove it. Id prefer to just be sent a new unit and then I can send this one back but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

Removing the whole unit is trivial, just needs the ring bracket loosened and 2-3 plugs disconnected.  Probably can't be reinstalled under preventative maintenance tho ;) FWIW, the couple times I needed to send stuff in to JPI, turnaround has been less than 2 weeks.

I've had my 730 for about a year and a half now, haven't seen that as an issue.

Ill remove it and re install it, im not modifying the install its just a few screws and a couple connectors on the back.

2 hours ago, dzeleski said:

I actually installed it so its not that I dont know how to remove it. Id prefer to just be sent a new unit and then I can send this one back but it is what it is.

You could always just skip the warranty and buy a new display, but if you want to make a warranty claim you have to do it on their terms, not yours.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

You could always just skip the warranty and buy a new display, but if you want to make a warranty claim you have to do it on their terms, not yours.

I was thinking along those lines...maybe plan to spend a bit more and upgrade to an EDM900 - making it Primary, sell the instruments left behind, and free up some panel space.

20 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

I was thinking along those lines...maybe plan to spend a bit more and upgrade to an EDM900 - making it Primary, sell the instruments left behind, and free up some panel space.

The cost difference is bigger for the many people who had old 700's installed, since the 730/830 can use the old harness with no modification.  My 730 install was basically the cost of the display (on sale for $1000) and an hour shop time to install clean up the wiring.  A year later, I did add the MAP and RPM sensor, which allowed me to spread that cost out over a couple years.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Nonsense. I paid for a working device. I should be able to get a new one sent, transfer settings and current counters and return the existing. Im a paying customer. If they need a credit card hold for the process thats fine. Thats how many warranty procedures go for many pieces of high end equipment (servers, cameras, etc.). Theres no reason I should be down an instrument for weeks because some pixels died.

23 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

This was a 700 to 730 upgrade, Im planning on a 900/930 and a newly cut panel next year but threw this in the plane last year to hold me over. GFC500 is going in this year otherwise I would be doing it now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, carusoam said:

MS has a really good JPI guy... / dealer...  seeing if @Jeev is around...

Jeev is close to JPI and is better service than what JPI has...

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks!  I am here to help if needed.

www.wolfaviationsales.com

• Like 1