DigiWx

201er

Does anyone know about digiwx systems on uncontrolled airports and how (other than being a local pilot and just knowing) you are supposed to know or find out that an airport has one? No mention on sectional or AFD that clicking the mic on CTAF will play the weather.

Unlike AWOS, they usually don’t have a phone number and don’t appear in METARS. Just learned today that they have their own website for online access that isn’t published or mentioned anywhere I’m familiar with. Here’s an example:

http://digiwx-47n.com/mobile/

Edited by 201er

They don’t even put up large signs at the FBO that has it...

Going on line this evening....

http://www.digiwx-39n.com/LostConnection.htm

notice the similarities...   digiwx-airport code...

My home drome seems to be disconnected tonight...

When searching on line... there isn’t a lot of user information readily available...  user being the end user/pilot...

You get bounced to their next site...

https://www.sayweather.com

Where they hide the detail.... in their own frustrating words...

The use of automated UNICOM systems is also noted in the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual 4-1-9.a.3: Many airports are now providing completely automated weather, radio check capability and airport advisory information on an automated UNICOM system. These systems offer a variety of features, typically selectable by microphone clicks, on the UNICOM frequency. Availability of the automated UNICOM will be published in the Airport/Facility Directory and approach charts.

If you want to see a map of where they are installed... their website sends you to Google maps with incorrect data filled in...

It looks like they have some nice weather equipment installed locally... for local use...

We could see if @Pete M has any insight... I think Pete has CFI experience at 39N, and may be familiar with their digiwx device...

Best regards,

-a-

later update...

http://www.digiwx-39n.com/mobile/

They give a phone number with the data page and a frequency...

Nothing answered the phone...

I typically use the class D field nearby at KTTN...  they probably have the same hardware... and a requirement to use it... and let it be used...

-a-

2 hours ago, toto said:

DigiWx has this little info page, with a very short list of supported airports. No idea how representative this might be..

http://www.digiwx-usa.com/

That list doesn’t have a single one of the airports I know has it so it definitely isn’t extensive.

What is the point of having these weather systems at airports if pilots have no way of knowing about them???

The Digi-WX systems are dead technology.   The business (Belfort?) must be supporting them in some minimal way.  The systems are XP based, and I'm amazed that the infrastructure still functions, looks like the domains are AWS fronted.. So there must be some minor ongoing support still available.  

I'll ask the airport manager at 1N7 the next time I see him.   I know the DSL link connecting it hasn't been touched in 10+ years. 

I know that N87 (Robinsville) had all of the sensors fail. 

The only thing they are official for is the altimeter setting.   All other indications are advisory. 

1 hour ago, PaulM said:

The Digi-WX systems are dead technology.   The business (Belfort?) must be supporting them in some minimal way.  The systems are XP based, and I'm amazed that the infrastructure still functions, looks like the domains are AWS fronted.. So there must be some minor ongoing support still available.  

I'll ask the airport manager at 1N7 the next time I see him.   I know the DSL link connecting it hasn't been touched in 10+ years. 

I know that N87 (Robinsville) had all of the sensors fail. 

The only thing they are official for is the altimeter setting.   All other indications are advisory. 

Again, how are we as pilots (not based at that field) supposed to know the airport even has such a system in place? 

There is no official way.   Since they are not certified AWOS/ASOS , I guess that the FAA has zero interest in putting it in the AFD remarks. 

RMK: VFR Advisory weather available on CTAF 123.0  3 clicks 

A private indicator is that if there is on field weather in Foreflight, but not a listed ASOS/AWOS, then I would give three clicks a try.   

On most VFR days there will be enough traffic that someone is going to trigger the system. 

On 1/31/2021 at 11:43 PM, carusoam said:

They don’t even put up large signs at the FBO that has it...

Going on line this evening....

http://www.digiwx-39n.com/LostConnection.htm

notice the similarities...   digiwx-airport code...

My home drome seems to be disconnected tonight...

When searching on line... there isn’t a lot of user information readily available...  user being the end user/pilot...

You get bounced to their next site...

https://www.sayweather.com

Where they hide the detail.... in their own frustrating words...

The use of automated UNICOM systems is also noted in the FAA Aeronautical Information Manual 4-1-9.a.3: Many airports are now providing completely automated weather, radio check capability and airport advisory information on an automated UNICOM system. These systems offer a variety of features, typically selectable by microphone clicks, on the UNICOM frequency. Availability of the automated UNICOM will be published in the Airport/Facility Directory and approach charts.

If you want to see a map of where they are installed... their website sends you to Google maps with incorrect data filled in...

It looks like they have some nice weather equipment installed locally... for local use...

We could see if @Pete M has any insight... I think Pete has CFI experience at 39N, and may be familiar with their digiwx device...

Best regards,

-a-

I didn’t realize your home airport was 39N. I worked there back in 2004-2005 when I went to school at Rutgers. Were you based there back then?

44 minutes ago, Matt M said:

I didn’t realize your home airport was 39N. I worked there back in 2004-2005 when I went to school at Rutgers. Were you based there back then?

Got there in the mid 90s learning to fly... renting a venerable C152...

Stayed there starting Y2K with the M20C...  tied down outside at the West End... next to the last row of hangars...

Around 2010 we got the M20R...

Moved the M20R indoors after that...

One of the CFIs there currently went to grammar school with my kids...

I’m going to watch him give a Zoom flight lesson on C172s next week...

I should have just said yes...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

12 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Got there in the mid 90s learning to fly... renting a venerable C152...

Stayed there starting Y2K with the M20C...  tied down outside at the West End... next to the last row of hangars...

Around 2010 we got the M20R...

Moved the M20R indoors after that...

One of the CFIs there currently went to grammar school with my kids...

I’m going to watch him give a Zoom flight lesson on C172s next week...

I should have just said yes...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I probably crossed paths with you, topping off the M20C. I worked there Sundays. It was definitely an experience. I stopped in there a few months ago. Place is the same, but with many difference faces.

• Like 1