Sun n Fun.

Cbsbama

Cbs,

What plane will you be using?

Expect any Mooney won’t have difficulty flying in, taxiing, or camping at SnF... under most ordinary conditions...

Based on past experience... using an M20C and an M20R...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, Cbsbama said:

I will be in a K model with 252 modifications. Have some low clearance inner gear doors that got damaged on OSH in 2019 (weather and soft ground to blame). Will probably plan to remove for extra peace of mind. Thanks. 

Expect similar conditions to be challenging at SnF...  large fields full of wild grass... knowing when they cut the lawn is important... and how soft the ground is...

At 2019 KOSH... we flew in a day late because of the rain delay...  I was with 90 other Mooneys in the caravan...

Mooneys were first to arrive... I don’t recall anyone removing gear doors, some might...

Of course I was in 201er’s M20J, not my O...

Proceed with caution... especially getting off paved surfaces... go extra slow in the transitions... one of our MSers got a prop strike, a hole with the depth hidden by water...

PP thoughts only, not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

I parked in Vintage a few years back and they decided to not mow that grass....the only time they have to mow it and they did not....took a week to get the stains off the prop...

I have paid the fee in years past to park at the FBO....it is worth it....they give a ride to and from the show and you stay on a hard surface....

Also, little secret, if you catch the thunderbirds or Blue Angle show going on it is much better from the GA ramp than then being in the crowd....very close up view...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

No, the Caravan only goes to Oshkosh. 

BTW... SnF is just too early for me with the continuing COVID situation. I'm not going to risk my life or medical on attending at this time. Maybe next year.

But this thread is specific to Sun n Fun. Look at the title.

I had not trouble in GAC at the approach end of 9, it was just a long taxi to get there because they made me fly beyond the intersecting runway before I could land . . . There was a lot of rain, and I delayed departure by a day to let the ground dry out, and pulled the Mooney out of the ruts it made in the ground while parked. Pulled out, turned towards the taxiway, THEN started the engine so I wouldn't blow crap all over the plane parked behind me.

16 minutes ago, Hank said:

But this thread is specific to Sun n Fun. Look at the title.

Oshkosh was brought up by the OP in the third post of the thread and it forked off from there. I didn't bring it up, just answering the question.

Read the whole thread ;-)

One thing for SnF this year if you are camping.  My son and I attended the winter fly in this year and the early morning wake up call from the Amazon jets was a little rude.  No problems with the grounds as they are flat and sandy with good drainage.  Masks and precautions were in play and we felt they were doing all they could with the high density of people.

7 hours ago, TonyK said:

One thing for SnF this year if you are camping.  My son and I attended the winter fly in this year and the early morning wake up call from the Amazon jets was a little rude.  No problems with the grounds as they are flat and sandy with good drainage.  Masks and precautions were in play and we felt they were doing all they could with the high density of people.

Like this thing..?

-a-

2B9511CA-DF00-45D5-B04D-D6CD36F114E8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 6:56 AM, TonyK said:

I have a hangar at KLAL and get all of the notices about what is happening, construction closures, etc. They are working to finish up taxiways A, B, and C at present and closing RWY 5/23 daily. When I was there just two weeks ago, RWY 9/27 was closed except for the planned Amazon arrivals, so things are changing rapidly. Currently there are 6 Amazon jets daily with anticipated growth to 15 at some point.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Will be interesting to see the differences in SnF with Amazon operations there.  I'm sure economically it is good for the airport with the increased traffic and the massive amount of jet fuel Amazon prime jets burn getting in and out of there.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:52 PM, Dgira23 said:

Hello All,

New to the Sun n Fun. Will be flying in Friday afternoon with a Mooney M20E. Is that too late to expect to find parking and camping? 

there is an SnF update given on YouTube...

It is highly unlikely that parking or camping will be limited... the Pandemic affect is still very strong... limiting people from leaving their home territories...

I think it was a Paul bertorelli  discussion with SnF management...

There were other organizations with similar challenges in Florida at the same time...

Have a good Plan B if you need a room at the back up airport of choice...

Best regards,

-a-

On 3/13/2021 at 10:38 PM, carusoam said:

It is highly unlikely that parking or camping will be limited... the Pandemic affect is still very strong... limiting people from leaving their home territories...

On 3/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Hector said:

It does not appear COVID will have an impact in attendance this year. My understanding is that ticket sales are WAY above normal.

It was more like what Hector said than Carusoam here in Texas. All aviation events are booming, because people are sick of the stupid pandemic.

I'm planning on camping in SnF. That means I probably cannot park at FBO, the campground rules appear to say that RV or aircraft must be present to reserve the spot.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 1:18 PM, gsxrpilot said:

No, the Caravan only goes to Oshkosh. 

BTW... SnF is just too early for me with the continuing COVID situation. I'm not going to risk my life or medical on attending at this time. Maybe next year.

To put peoples fears at ease, the SNF organizers will be following all state guidelines for Rona and encourage everyone to use their own brains and judgement regarding their health safekeeping. The Mooney Caravan is firing back up the Clinics a couple weeks after SNF in San Marcos for those that wish to prep for a great OSH experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1