Power settings/optimal speed for commercial maneuvers in a M20M

Top Heavy

I am practicing commercial maneuvers, lazy eights and Chantelle’s, in anticipation of the commercial check ride. The POH says that the maneuvering speed for the M20M is 127 knots. This speed makes it very difficult to achieve 5 knots above stall speed at the apex of the maneuver and getting back to 127 knots at the completion of the maneuver. I would appreciate any insights into the realistic, optimal speed / power settings to initiate these maneuvers.

Want to see what other long body drivers have done?

https://mooneyspace.com/search/?q=Commercial maneuvers&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

Find any comments by @donkaye in this pile...

You will have some good insight regarding planes near identical to yours...  minus the power plant...

Don, is a CFII and flys a Bravo...

Best regards,

-a-

On 1/31/2021 at 4:41 PM, Top Heavy said:

I am practicing commercial maneuvers, lazy eights and Chantelle’s, in anticipation of the commercial check ride. The POH says that the maneuvering speed for the M20M is 127 knots. This speed makes it very difficult to achieve 5 knots above stall speed at the apex of the maneuver and getting back to 127 knots at the completion of the maneuver. I would appreciate any insights into the realistic, optimal speed / power settings to initiate these maneuvers.

For both the Chandelle and Lazy Eight the maneuvers should start at 110 knots. The minimum airspeeds for both maneuvers should be 70 knots.  For the Chandelle the speed at the 90° point should be 90 knots decreasing to 70 knots at the 180° point.  For the Lazy Eight 90 knots should be reached at the 45° and the 135° points with 70 knots at the 90° point.  For a constant speed prop as is on the Mooney no increase in power is required as you begin the climb in the Chandelle. (See Chapter 9-6 in the Airplane flying Manual, FAA-H-8083-3B).  As Kirschner said in his book, the Chandelle is a "Bank and Yank" maneuver and the Lazy Eight is a "Yank and Bank maneuver".  That was to get your attention.  Of course, we know that the maneuvers should be flown smoothly.  Both are fun maneuvers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2