Attended a Drive By Shooting Today

FoxMike

14 hours ago, MooneyMitch said:

Really? :o

I thought one was more than enough... 

With the benefit of hindsight... we know one was too many...

Failure affect analysis...  

the process that designers and engineers and users of complex systems use to determine what happens when all of the known variables break down... one at a time, multiple things at a time, special cases...

One accident usually gets a review of everything done so far... to find out what could possibly have been missed...

Oops there goes another one...

just like the last one...  hmmmmmmmm.....

Not only did part of the airplane fail... but the system to keep it from happening again doesn’t seem to have worked very well either...

Of course, I only have information from USAToday... to go on... we know how well they get aviation stories... I could be way off track... 

now for the good news... several people in my family have received their first shot of vaccine... one did a drive by at the local NFL stadium in Foxboro...   :)

PP thoughts only, not a qualifications engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

I thought one was more than enough... 

With the benefit of hindsight... we know one was too many...

Failure affect analysis...  

the process that designers and engineers and users of complex systems use to determine what happens when all of the known variables break down... one at a time, multiple things at a time, special cases...

One accident usually gets a review of everything done so far... to find out what could possibly have been missed...

Oops there goes another one...

just like the last one...  hmmmmmmmm.....

Not only did part of the airplane fail... but the system to keep it from happening again doesn’t seem to have worked very well either...

Of course, I only have information from USAToday... to go on... we know how well they get aviation stories... I could be way off track... 

now for the good news... several people in my family have received their first shot of vaccine... one did a drive by at the local NFL stadium in Foxboro...   :)

PP thoughts only, not a qualifications engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

Congratulations to you all on the successful vaccine shot.  Continued happiness and good health to you all.

Based on my readings while following these tragedies, pilot inadequacies appeared to share the blame for the loss.  Conversations with some friends that flew[fly the 737MAX] agree.  An interesting aspect to the story, FAA director stated the MCAS wasn't even necessary for the 737MAX. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 5:23 PM, Ross Statham said:

My wife and I attended one of them thar drive-by shootings last Wednesday. Other than mildly sore arms and very mild symptoms for about 24 hours, no issues. Ours was the Madonna (don’t know why they named it after her) vaccine, we’re due to go back at the end of February for our second round.  :)

i want the madonna vaccine too!!

• Haha 2

Looks like we’ll have a clinical trial site locally for one of the expanded pediatric clinical trials (likely ages 7-16).   We’ll enroll one of my kids (7) in the trial if possible immediately, and the younger one (2) will get it as soon as she is eligible.  Of all the vaccines we have available this is a very “clean” technology.  The long term potential adverse effects are not dissimilar from any other traditional vaccine.  In weighing risk benefit, I’ve encountered sufficient numbers of kids with of all things the development of Type I diabetes far in excess of what we should be seeing by historic counts, and there seems to be a temporal association with previous SARS-CoV-2 exposure (any virus and a few bacterial infections are usually considered triggers for the develop of type I diabetes, but it looks like there’s an excess “hazard ratio” associated with Covid).    That’s a life long and life-limiting diagnosis.  It’s only just now being described as an association and a lot of research needs to be done.  But it’s something - the pediatric diabetes doc I work with says she’s never had so many cases in a single year.  Kids do get affected by this disease, and they have no say and little responsibility in what happens to them.   Vaccination will hopefully be able to get our kids to see their vaccinated grandparents, get them back to school/daycare, maybe get them to Disney one day, get them to the indefinitely postponed weddings and funerals. 

When weighing risks and benefits, I’d ask that individuals try not use their own death as the outcome variable.  Please also consider short and long term morbidities, or social contract stuff like not unwittingly killing your at-risk neighbor/ friend/ coworker / family member / fellow citizen in the calculus.  

Unfortunately, we will likely have a public health crisis for decades with the piled up Covid associated morbidities (ie the long term consequences) of survivors.  These include heart, lung, brain and kidney / metabolic disease.  My wife’s getting good at jokingly being able to diagnose patients who have recovered from Covid by whether they get bad heart rhythms during their later anesthesia.  Seriously. 

For those who are distrustful of any new vaccine - Id like to engage and ask what are your personal requirements for information to trust in the vaccine efficacy, in the limitation of adverse events, etc and from what source would you get that information?  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, bradp said:

Looks like we’ll have a clinical trial site locally for one of the expanded pediatric clinical trials (likely ages 7-16).   We’ll enroll one of my kids (7) in the trial if possible immediately, and the younger one (2) will get it as soon as she is eligible.  Of all the vaccines we have available this is a very “clean” technology.  The long term potential adverse effects are not dissimilar from any other traditional vaccine.  In weighing risk benefit, I’ve encountered sufficient numbers of kids with of all things the development of Type I diabetes far in excess of what we should be seeing by historic counts, and there seems to be a temporal association with previous SARS-CoV-2 exposure (any virus and a few bacterial infections are usually considered triggers for the develop of type I diabetes, but it looks like there’s an excess “hazard ratio” associated with Covid).    That’s a life long and life-limiting diagnosis.  It’s only just now being described as an association and a lot of research needs to be done.  But it’s something - the pediatric diabetes doc I work with says she’s never had so many cases in a single year.  Kids do get affected by this disease, and they have no say and little responsibility in what happens to them.   Vaccination will hopefully be able to get our kids to see their vaccinated grandparents, get them back to school/daycare, maybe get them to Disney one day, get them to the indefinitely postponed weddings and funerals. 

When weighing risks and benefits, I’d ask that individuals try not use their own death as the outcome variable.  Please also consider short and long term morbidities, or social contract stuff like not unwittingly killing your at-risk neighbor/ friend/ coworker / family member / fellow citizen in the calculus.  

Unfortunately, we will likely have a public health crisis for decades with the piled up Covid associated morbidities (ie the long term consequences) of survivors.  These include heart, lung, brain and kidney / metabolic disease.  My wife’s getting good at jokingly being able to diagnose patients who have recovered from Covid by whether they get bad heart rhythms during their later anesthesia.  Seriously. 

For those who are distrustful of any new vaccine - Id like to engage and ask what are your personal requirements for information to trust in the vaccine efficacy, in the limitation of adverse events, etc and from what source would you get that information?  

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - thank you for what you do. It takes a special person to do your job and I certainly wasn’t cut out to do it. PICU was without a doubt my least favorite month of residency. 

I tried to look into getting my son into a vaccine trial but wasn’t able to find something. I’ve never seen him that eager to get a shot.

He has his 11 year old shots coming up and he asked me what they were for so I told him - meningitis, tetanus, HPV. He asked me what HPV was and I told him “it’s a virus that causes warts.” He asked where and I told him. He turned pale and screamed “there’s no way I’m letting someone give me a shot there!!!”

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 1/31/2021 at 7:36 PM, Tony Starke said:

I’ll take my 99.7% chance of surviving the virus. Feeling lucky I guess.

I got mine the old fashioned way by having the bug. Back in December thought I had my regular sinus infection that I get almost every year. I had two negative tests a couple weeks apart courtesy of exposure to known cases. Woke up one morning about a week and a half after my second negative test, showered, couldn't smell my deodorant or cologne. Had a third test and that one came back positive. Never felt any worse than any other year when I've had a sinus infection. Never stopped riding the exercise bike in the evenings like normal, heart rate while exercising was normal, no more tired than normal. If I hadn't lost my sense of smell I would never have known.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I got mine the old fashioned way by having the bug. Back in December thought I had my regular sinus infection that I get almost every year. I had two negative tests a couple weeks apart courtesy of exposure to known cases. Woke up one morning about a week and a half after my second negative test, showered, couldn't smell my deodorant or cologne. Had a third test and that one came back positive. Never felt any worse than any other year when I've had a sinus infection. Never stopped riding the exercise bike in the evenings like normal, heart rate while exercising was normal, no more tired than normal. If I hadn't lost my sense of smell I would never have known.

You are one of the most fortunate ones........ congratulations.

I got the Moderna about 10 days ago, have my second in early March. On the "do you trust the vaccine" issue, aw, c'mon man. When I was a kid they marched us into the school gym and gave everyone the polio vaccine the first time, and small pox the second. Nobody died, got sick, etc., etc. Nobody in my school got polio or small pox after that either. Besides, the purple spots, the fangs, and the extra body hair from the vaccine, well, they go away after awhile. When you reach a certain age you appreciate having more hair anyway, even if it is just temporary. The people who worry about the vaccine all live in Marin County, what does that tell you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, jlunseth said:

I got the Moderna about 10 days ago, have my second in early March. On the "do you trust the vaccine" issue, aw, c'mon man. When I was a kid they marched us into the school gym and gave everyone the polio vaccine the first time, and small pox the second. Nobody died, got sick, etc., etc. Nobody in my school got polio or small pox after that either. Besides, the purple spots, the fangs, and the extra body hair from the vaccine, well, they go away after awhile. When you reach a certain age you appreciate having more hair anyway, even if it is just temporary. The people who worry about the vaccine all live in Marin County, what does that tell you?

I started growing a third testicle shortly after my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Do you think it's related?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Well, I think we really need a clinical trial to be sure but some people seem to be experiencing some “big” side effects:

F5BDCFB6-BD2E-4A08-9647-D3082B8DE0AB.jpeg

This study must have taken place with the Moderna vaccine. I got the Pfizer one and am now kicking myself for not waiting.

• Haha 2