IA’s that have their ATP.

MB65E

Thanks Andy. Good idea. Although mooneyspace tends to breed such people, I was hoping for a database to grab the numbers. Extrapolating the numbers may be the only way. My quest has turned into a little research project. 

-Matt

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 11:09 PM, 201Steve said:

Similar goal of mine. I’m not ATP and have no intention, but would like to get AP eventual IA if I can figure out how to amass 2,000 hours practical as a run of the mill owner/Pilot with a full time job. Ha. 

Start keeping a log - trust me, it builds up pretty fast. Washing your airplane counts. I started a log in 2008 with everything and i'm over 500 hours without trying at this point for basic stuff, helping with annuals, oil changes (assistance), swapping light bulbs (until I got my LEDs), etc . . . Anything that can be logged log. It adds up. And don't pad the time. Be realistic but honest.

If I were to ever actually try hard, tackle a project with a friend, whatever, I could build that time faster. This way when the time comes, I can have someone sign off on my log if they are comfortable doing so. Of course I'd still have to study hard, learn a ton, and become way more capable that I currently am.

-Seth

On 1/30/2021 at 5:29 PM, jetdriven said:

It doesn’t work that way. The FAA has decided that you must work under supervision, and that building an actual airplane by yourself doesn’t qualify for that. I guess if you built it under supervision of an A/P you would log that like you would working in any other airplane in the shop

Byron-

Maybe you'll supervise me at some point if I ever build and RV-8! 

-Seth

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Start keeping a log - trust me, it builds up pretty fast. Washing your airplane counts. I started a log in 2008 with everything and i'm over 500 hours without trying at this point for basic stuff, helping with annuals, oil changes (assistance), swapping light bulbs (until I got my LEDs), etc . . . Anything that can be logged log. It adds up. And don't pad the time. Be realistic but honest.

If I were to ever actually try hard, tackle a project with a friend, whatever, I could build that time faster. This way when the time comes, I can have someone sign off on my log if they are comfortable doing so. Of course I'd still have to study hard, learn a ton, and become way more capable that I currently am.

-Seth

• Finance
  • ATP
  • A&P

Sounds like a key person in an aviation business...  :)

Keep moving forwards Seth!

Best regards,

-a-

I went to night A&P school in the 90’s.   18 months, 5 nights a week, from 17:00-24:00, cost about $13,000.  Worked a day job too along with everyone else in my class.  I started school during the day, but the crowd was not serious enough and reminded me of high school, so moved to night class as soon as I could.  I got a day job at the airport working for an fbo, working line service and flying.  Most everyone in class at night had a job, families, etc. and were highly motivated.  It was a very rough 18 month stretch, but one of the best career decisions I ever made.  Yes, got my ATP and IA too.  I highly recommend your A&P if at all possible, you won’t regret it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, carusoam said:
  • Finance
  • ATP
  • A&P

Sounds like a key person in an aviation business...  :)

Keep moving forwards Seth!

Best regards,

-a-

Actually it's already:

Finance - Assisting individuals, families, and small businesses with comprehensive planning, partnering with experienced investment only financial advisors to offer the other areas of wealth management (legal, estate planning, tax planning, insurance planning, cash flow backstop strategies), and training brand new financial planners.

135 Charter flights

Business and personal use of my airplane

Soon: I've got something else in the works right now I hope to announce shortly

Maybe by end of 2021: ATP & CFI

Way down the line: A&P if I even get to a long with enough hours and still want to.

• Like 1

I would like to get my A&P. I just don’t know where to find 4800 hours to do it!

Theres a pretty interesting loophole I read about the other day. If you get your LIght Sport Repairman-Maintenance cert you can work on your own aircraft as well as others for hire. You can go to “work” immediately after you finish the ~2 week course. Then those hours can be logged as under supervision (supervising yourself I guess) and can count towards A&P requirements. 

Article here:

https://www.aviatorshotline.com/content/lsa-repairman-airframe-powerplant-inspection-authorization-ap-ia

• Like 1

We had a guy at our local FBO do that but the Feds wanted the A&P to sign off every week (detailed jobs) that he worked on. Got the OK to get test done so he went to a prep school for the written and then passed the test easily. His practical was not easy but not hard either. He did fantastic detailed work even before he got his license. 

Lets see-

A&P with 6 airline schools on various big iron/ 56 years turning wrenches on airplanes

MEATP with 7 jet type ratings/ Commercial SE rating/MU-2 SFAR Rating

Licensed US Coast Guard Master's Certificate

Certified FAA ASC (Airport Security Coordinator)

Pt 139 Airport Manager

Inventor Unique Aircraft  VOR & Com Antenna System in use today

Licensed Commercial Swimming Pool Technician/Los Angeles County

Author with published periodical articles on aviation topics and one small book on Aircraft Antenna Design

Its funny how things add up over the years

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As an addendum-

What most folks don't realize is that the program to get an A&P certificate is as much teaching the proper methods of aircraft repair as it is a "weeding out" process to eliminate those who may not be of the mindset to do proper work on airplanes. 

My A&P class had @ 40 who started and 2 years later we had less than a dozen graduate. The rest fell by the wayside. It emulates SEAL training to some extent as it eliminates the less than dedicated. 

But just as in any  other profession there is one who graduated at the top of the class and someone who graduated last in the class. Just remember- someone always graduates from medical school at the bottom of every class. Its no different with A&Ps.