Throttle Replacement for M20C 1962

Found the reason why the throttle was sticking.  Cable is frayed. 

Does anyone have the measurements, including the cutout for the switch?  

Or, is it possible to pull the cable out and have a new cable made and not need to replace the whole assembly with the sheath?  

4ea59867-d114-4fa9-88b6-cb57c81d1acc.jpg

• Like 1

Holy cow...

Nothing like running out of power when a control cable decides it’s time to retire... :)

Cables typically get replaced at each engine OH... in modern times...

Kind of like tossing out a vac pump at 500 hours...

The typical method of cable replacement... send the whole thing to Mcfarlane...  this is the method of owner supplied parts...

Rebuilding it from bits and pieces will probably lead to disappointment later...

Since you was in there... check the status of the prop and mixture controls as well...

How many hours do they have?

PP thoughts only. Not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/articles/engine-controls/content/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rjfanjet said:

I got a new cable from SWTA. No issues and they had it on the shelf.

I did the same thing about 18 months ago. Part # from SWTA for the throttle cable was 660190-003 and paid $423.25.

If you haven't replaced the Mixture and Prop control cable in the last few decades I would consider those as well. Prop cable from SWTA # 660189-005 was 451.38.

LASAR had the mixture cable, vernier cable was part # MC600-72 and was $245.20.

I am going through this still after two years.  A local MSC totally messed up my plane and it took Phil in Avon Park to make it right.  Had to pay for two new throttle cables a shit load of labor from the MSC(three times) and they still could not make it right.  Basically they kept ordering the wrong (to long) of cable from McFarlane.  

Of course I was the one who had to pay.  It is the USA, the customer is always in the way of doing business !!!

Why is it that some mx shops refuse to ask for help from other Mooney experts?  Are you mechanics that F uped in the head to think you know it all and must re invent the wheel?  Somehow it is in your brain that you have failed if you have to ask for help on something you know nothing about.

I thought asking a MSC to replace my throttle cable would be easy as pie.  I wish we had this thread two years ago.  All they had to do was call up LASAR and get one.  But no they had to go another way and they also threw out my old cable before they had a new one made up.....