Plane names and flags

FlyingDude

Hey guys,

I got two matching vinyl USA flags from spruce (one straight, one backwards) for the vertical empennage. Are there any regulations on where exactly to affix them? Like positioning relative to the top and leading edge of the fin?

Then, commercial aircraft have names. So do boats. Do you guys name your aircraft? 

Thanks...

For a list of Mooney Plane names... there is a thread for that...

Some get tail art... Like a Bravo / Angry Bird...

Some get nose art... M20J with flames emanating from the cowl...

Some art runs from nose to tail... like a modern Mooney Eagle logo down the side.... (awesome)

Some get official names...  Like an important M20E... Gypsy Rose.

Others just get funky references... like grandma’s flying couch or aluminum mistress 

Some references are total Mismatches... The turtle was supposed to be an M20G... but the owner bought an M20F instead...

Vinyl graphics make adding tail art pretty easy...

Use caution when naming machines... You might need a couch in the hangar to sleep on...   :)

PP thoughts, stuff I have seen around here...

Best regards,

-a- 

• Like 1

My planes name is "About Average"....homage to a B-24 my squadron flew back in WWII.  Plus if you say it's about average then it better be good!

Although, my daughter named it Betsy.....since it is Red, White, and Blue just like the American Flag.

The airplane always finds a name that suits it and the family that flies it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I have lots of names for mine -- Usually when I'm working on it -- none printable.

I’m so fortunate my plane does not have feelings!! Especially when I’m deeply envolved in areas near and around the accessory case!! :angry:

A lot of the names I’ve called it generally begin with “You” !!:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

When I was shopping for my airplane, I brought my wife out to the airport to look at a J I was interested in, when we walked into the hangar she looked at the registration  (C-GWED) and she said "Her name is Gwendolyn". We bought the plane and the name stuck.

• Like 3

I have a hard and fast rule, my wife gets to name the airplanes we buy!  She named our M20J “Jane” when we bought her, which she abridged to “Plain Jane” because of her downright ugly 1978 paint job. (“But she had a great personality .....”)  

After Hawk  Aviation gave her that fantastic paint job three years ago, Audrey redubbed her “Plane Jane.”

• Like 3

Hey guys.

So affixed the flags on the fuselage, close to the empennage. The fin is too cluttered with the decorations and Mooney logo already.

As for the name, I got wife's approval to name her "Cersei" as in Cersei Lannister. She rolled her eyes and said "whatever". 61% is a pass. I'll take it ;)

16E29E09-7BCF-44AC-8861-9868E4C3E171.jpeg

1E3AF172-A109-45CE-9521-188AB36DEF75.jpeg

• Like 2