COVID 19 Vaccination Discussion

Ross Statham

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I see the helmet.  I presume that is one of those setups with the helmet being the headset for the audio part as well?  What kind of plane was that?  Sounds like something kind of exciting?  I'm picturing you in some kind of exciting aerobatic machine with that gear on.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7909845

I was in the back of my friends CT-133.

• Like 2

There is a huge difference in how the mRNA vaccine work vs a natural infection.  With the infection the immune system "sees" all sorts of parts of the virus and reacts against them.  With the vaccines the immune system only "sees" the viral spike protein, leading to a more focused response.  I think that underlies the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines and subunit vaccine in general.

But yes, a subsequent viral infection will likely boost immunity.

8 hours ago, bradp said:

Dr Steingar.  This is just not correct.  Your supposition takes into /no/account the robustness or lack thereof of cellular immune response, (neutralizing) antibody titers, class switching, affinity or avidity of natural antibody responses against variant surface or other antigens.  There’s a lot more to it than you’ve been infected therefore you’re immune.    The prudent recommendation at this point is for COVID survivors / previously infected to get the vaccine in accordance with the CDC recommendation.  

- Dr. Podd. PhD molecular immunologist / critical care medicine physician . 

Brad, has there been any evidence yet of memory immune response or is it too soon to tell?

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Brad, has there been any evidence yet of memory immune response or is it too soon to tell?

Both natural infection and the Pfizer vaccine induce T cell responses with memory T cell signatures. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/pfizer-vaccine-induces-immune-structures-key-to-lasting-immunity--68594/amp

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

What I find fascinating, is that the CDC has reported 8,854 cases of the flu this past flu season. 

Just sayin......

Same thing happened last winter in South Africa (June-Sept.).  They had a record low flu season.  The reason given was COVID prevention measures also helped to minimize the spread of influenza.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/south-africa-coronavirus-flu-season/2020/08/17/bd8aaaca-e084-11ea-82d8-5e55d47e90ca_story.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Same thing happened last winter in South Africa (June-Sept.).  They had a record low flu season.  The reason given was COVID prevention measures also helped to minimize the spread of influenza.

Source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/africa/south-africa-coronavirus-flu-season/2020/08/17/bd8aaaca-e084-11ea-82d8-5e55d47e90ca_story.html

What is interesting about that article is that it infers that masks did little to contain Corona virus as that country had one of the highest percentages of infections. It also stated that keeping kids out of school was most likely what lowered the flu rates. Obviously the inverse is in effect here as the population  caught Covid with the kids not in school. If the kids were in school, would they have neither caught the flu or the virus? Hahahahaha 

Inquiring minds want to know!

We have learned a few things...

The entire world has been educated on how to avoid spreading or receiving viruses...

We have learned how fast and far poor information can travel....

Some of us have learned how to modify our work practices to avoid close quarters...  (working from home)

High quality Vaccines have been generated at incredibly fast paces...

The News... can’t cover a pandemic any better than they can cover airplane accidents...

Testing... there are even home versions of your Covid test available... you don’t have to be a super-spreader without knowing it anymore...

I finished my second Pfizer shot two weeks ago... showed my passport for ID... it was a visual inspection... 

On the topic of vaccine passports... nice idea... but not realistic.   

There is a giant relaxation of mask rules going on in my area...

Last point... the pharma world has difficulty with the idea that having the Covid virus and having the vaccination give the same protection...

The vaccine is so well controlled... down to the dosage and the age and the sex of the patient...  an actual Covid infection is so unknown to what the viral load was... how could you know..?

I’m more of a follow the science kind of guy...

PP thoughts only, not a pharmacist or biologist...

Best regards,

-a-

11 hours ago, Skates97 said:

How is it that they can say that the vaccine gives longer protection than getting the disease? What data is that based on? I'm not trying to argue, I honestly would like to know. Neither the disease nor the vaccines have been around long enough to have any long term analysis of protection from the disease or of long term side effects of either the disease or the vaccines. I would think that we would need to be further down the road to look at the differences between those that had a vaccine compared to those that had the disease.

Also, with regards to immunity from the vaccines, what I have read is that they do not give immunity, they help so that when you do contract it you will have a more mild case, hence the reason they are continuing to preach the masks and social distancing even after getting vaccinated. If the vaccine truly provided immunity then there would be no reason for masks or social distancing. There would also be no reason for those who have been vaccinated to be worried about those who haven't been vaccinated.

IIRC they were basing that on the quantity of antibodies produced post-infection vs the quantity produced post-vaccination.  One could argue that antibody quantity has not been proven to be predictive of degree of immunity, but lacking any other good measurements, it seems like a reasonable proxy.

5 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

IIRC they were basing that on the quantity of antibodies produced post-infection vs the quantity produced post-vaccination.  One could argue that antibody quantity has not been proven to be predictive of degree of immunity, but lacking any other good measurements, it seems like a reasonable proxy.

I think it's just an educated guess. The two main vaccines were supposed to be 54 and 95% effective after 1 and 2 shots respectively, but I've read articles where these number range quite a bit in real world circumstances according to the CDC. The original numbers were based on values obtained during the studies.  Obviously no one can give honest black and white answers right now. 

8 hours ago, rbridges said:

I think it's just an educated guess. The two main vaccines were supposed to be 54 and 95% effective after 1 and 2 shots respectively, but I've read articles where these number range quite a bit in real world circumstances according to the CDC. The original numbers were based on values obtained during the studies.  Obviously no one can give honest black and white answers right now. 

True, but I suggest caution with the use of the phrase "educated guess."  I see it commonly used these days to support the fallacy of equivalency

• Like 1

7 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was at a restaurant last night along the Colorado River with sign in the lobby that said “Anybody wearing a mask will not be served” The place was packed. 

I’ve been dining at my favorite local BBQ since last September. Staff doesn’t wear masks, most patrons do not either. Salt, pepper and sauces on the table like they should be. I  always hug my server when we leave. Good food, good company, good for the soul. Humans being human.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was at a restaurant last night along the Colorado River with sign in the lobby that said “Anybody wearing a mask will not be served” The place was packed. 

Such snowflakes afraid of people with masks?

• Like 1

Just now, MooneyMitch said:

It’s going to be as equally strange going into my bank without a mask as it did getting use to going in wearing one.:ph34r:

What’s a poor bank robber supposed to do these days in a bank if they want to stand out and impress people?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sabremech said:

I’m not going to get sucked into this nonsense. 

Ahaha - so a no mask no service restaurant celebration of snowflake scared to see people on mask isn’t nonsense?

A pair of adults drove by my son and his friend in town 6 weeks ago and they were wearing masks. They were shouting profanity coughed at them and spit at them / too far to mean anything but it’s sad they are so offended and scared to see people in masks.  Mask snowflakes apparently it’s a thing.  

• Like 1