COVID 19 Vaccination Discussion

Ross Statham

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Oops! That's what I get for typing in the sun in front of the hangar just after landing. I got my first shot at a clinic full of nurses, with doctors on patrol. Shot #2 comes next week. Pfizer. 

I figured that was a typo, but I needed to take a dig at you :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Work your shoulder muscle and it will reduce the soreness. I leaned over my desk and put weight on it and twisted it around. It was tender to the touch for a little over 24 hours, but the soreness that was starting at 3-4 hours went away and stayed gone.

Thanks - but too late.  :-0

2 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

:-). A philosophy for life.

i went xc dkiing 45 min this am (before) but now I am a slug on the couch.  Actually no shot pain.  But I am a couch slug.  :-)

Relax. I'm on the couch, feet up [dual reclining couch], legs under a quilt and a dog on my lap. It's chilly here, down into the low 50s after reaching ~75° this afternoon.

But I can't blame mine in COVID shot #1, it was a week and a half ago . . . .

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Relax. I'm on the couch, feet up [dual reclining couch], legs under a quilt and a dog on my lap. It's chilly here, down into the low 50s after reaching ~75° this afternoon.

My dog is on the couch next to me.

Relax - I will take that as a suggestion!

IMG_1676.jpg

9 minutes ago, Hank said:

Sacked out on the couch.

IMG_1682.jpg

• Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:48 AM, steingar said:

What you're missing is when it's time for you to get your shot, do it.  You time will come, likely before summer is up.  Do it.  The antivaxxers are misinformed, misconstrued, and generally nuts.  You don't want COVID.  It can wipe you and and cause long-lasting symptoms that can be devastating.  Get the vaccine, whichever one they offer you.  They all work, and they're all safe.  Whatever side effect you get from the vaccine are nothing compared to the 'rona.

We’re not anti-vaxers and we have been taking Corona virus seriously. I’ve also had the virus and will get the vaccine as soon as it’s available.
I think folks should plan accordingly for possible side effects even though severe side effects are the exception not the norm. It’s not true that the symptoms of the virus are always worse than the side effects of the vaccine.  My father had the virus and the side effects from the Moderna vaccine were considerably worse than his symptoms from the virus though much shorter in duration (worst side effect over in 24, back to normal in 48). Second shot was even worse for him. He had pretty severe nausea and dizziness. Uncomfortable standing in the first 24hrs. He received his first dose just weeks after clearing quarantine. He’s in his early 80s (but still fit) so that certainly could be a factor. He tolerated the actual infection very well with mild symptoms (non respiratory).                  I post this not to deter anyone from getting vaccinated, on the contrary, I think everyone should. I say it as a warning to keep an eye on loved ones post vaccine. My Dad is very independent so I only found out after the fact. In hindsight, he should have had someone with him. The side effects hit him many hours after the shot. It’s good he was home because they were so debilitating that driving would have been off the table.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, hammdo said:

Getting my first shot tomorrow at TMS (Texas Motor Speedway!)...

-Don

Got mine today.. Very efficient process at TMS! So far, just a bit tired after having the first round. Hope to be better tomorrow as the weather here is nice! 

-Don 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I woke up around 2am feeling pretty nauseous (4pm shot) and thought I had better do something quick or else, but I was too drowsy...and fell back to sleep.  Then I woke up foggy and draggy and figured it was going to be a tough day.  By noon I felt fine.  But 4pm I felt great and went XC skiing with my son and I felt fantastic.

• 1 month later...

First, if you've had the illness you don't need the vaccine.  You're already immune.  The vaccine will just make you sick, it won't help you much.

Second, your Friendly Neighborhood Steingar got his second jab Tuesday. Yes, got feverish and ill yesterday morning, by yesterday evening it was pretty much old news.  Fine today.  

Get the vaccine.  If you don't, you can contract COVID.  You can die.  If you infect someone else they can die.  We've lost enough people as it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steingar said:

First, if you've had the illness you don't need the vaccine.  You're already immune.  The vaccine will just make you sick, it won't help you much.

To clarify, the degree of immunity past infection confers is unclear but is expected to be less than with vaccination.  I heard one epidemiologist saying infection might confer as little as 5 months, but I suspect that is based on no data at all.  The consensus seems to be, however, that vaccination is generally expected to produce longer-lasting or more effective immunity than prior infection. 

Hence the CDC recommendation that people with prior COVID-19 infection should still get vaccinated.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No!!!!!!

@steingar, you’re better than this. Please don’t start spreading misinformation.

Immunity isn’t a binary (yes or no) thing. Having past infection does not guarantee one won’t get infected in the future, especially with recent strains that are emerging. 

Please follow the CDC recommendations and not random people on the internet (including this one).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Can I send your message to my colleague who had covid, confirmed, twice, 4 months apart last year?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steingar said:

Second, your Friendly Neighborhood Steingar got his second jab Tuesday. Yes, got feverish and ill yesterday morning, by yesterday evening it was pretty much old news.  Fine today.  

Get the vaccine.  If you don't, you can contract COVID.  You can die.  If you infect someone else they can die.  We've lost enough people as it is.

Mr Streingar this is not a correct statement. The recommendation is for those who have had COVID to still get the vaccine.  There is emerging evidence that 1) a single dose may be sufficient (TBD) and that 2) the vaccine may protect above and beyond against variants at protective titers if you’ve had Covid and subsequently gotten vaccinated. 

Bonus is that your immune system would get three looks at the virus compared to some in who’s never had it. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777785

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1