M20E panel renovation & layout

Hi Folks!

I have a hard time deciding, which layout works best for me. Down below you'll find two CAD images with the pros and cons. Maybe you have some additional input for me to consider.
From the arguments, you may notice that I favor version B, but it is a bit of a waste of space.

Version A

pros

- makes the most out of the panel area and leaves some room for smaller add-ons in the future, although I don't know if I'll ever need that.

- somewhat of a standard utilization of the panel with potentially eight instrument positions.

cons

- the G5s are not in the center of the panel, directly overhead the yoke (I dislike that).

- the S-TEC30 TC, which for a standard layout would go in the lower left position, will not fit there due to its protrusion behind the panel and a collision with a tube of the steel cage crossing behind the panel. Hence, I'd have to swap two instruments, which is a deviation from the standard six pack.

1736541848_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-28um18_40_03.thumb.png.3a404229654e6b02b5a48187f17e3dad.png

Version B

pros

- standard six pack layout will work with the TC in the lower left.

- G5s symmetrically overhead the yoke (I like that)

cons

- waste of panel space on the right.

- the engine monitor is somewhat cramp into the left corner and I'll have to first figure out whether that works at all. Otherwise it goes back to the right panel and leaves some unusable space behind. If the engine monitor did fit in that spot, the keys of the ignition would hang down on it (would be fixable by moving the ignition to the right panel edge, although, that's an unusual location).

1113060457_Bildschirmfoto2021-01-28um18_44_54.thumb.png.b998bd61c3cc4cab01d986b9b3b3e95c.png

2 hours ago, MV Aviation said:

cons

- the G5s are not in the center of the panel, directly overhead the yoke (I dislike that).

I would suggest the following...

• Move the engine computer (assuming that's an EDM900 on the right of your six-pack in the first photo) to the FO (right) side panel - it is still within legal limits for viewing from the CA side
  • Center the two G5s along with the entire six-pack
  • Add a standby ADI to the right of the six-pack (between the altimeter and the left side of the radio rack)

This should work much easier for your overall flow and scan.

• Like 1

I would leave the G5's offset as they are in your first option and in the lower left put a backup AI. Keep the 900 in the left panel, you will use it more often and more effectively than if you put it in the right panel. You will not even notice that the G5's aren't centered over the yoke. That leaves the right panel either blank or with room to put a 10" tablet. 

20200912_190748.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I would leave the G5's offset as they are in your first option and in the lower left put a backup AI. Keep the 900 in the left panel, you will use it more often and more effectively than if you put it in the right panel. You will not even notice that the G5's aren't centered over the yoke. That leaves the right panel either blank or with room to put a 10" tablet. 

20200912_190748.jpg

Put the step turn coordinator where the vsi is. 

I would do a variation on A. Here's a couple of considerations. 

1. Keep the EDM900 on the pilot's side of the panel. I like mine low on the right close to the engine controls. If you have an autopilot, you'll spend more time looking at your engine monitor than any other instrument in the panel.
  2. Even though the round dials are required by the G5 STC... you're not required to use them... and you won't. So they can be anywhere.
  3. Loose the VSI and get a second AI.

781709368_ScreenShot2021-01-28at7_40_33PM.thumb.png.580257a46e155e0e936c292a9574cba1.png

IMG_2532.thumb.jpeg.7c363fdb60d7efdf0391339b30be53f1.jpeg

• Like 2

Move the ignition to the bottom of the panel, then your lucky rabbit's foot won't get in the way of anything, and the other keys won't scratch any expwnsive avionics glass. See Paul's picture above, and mine below. Yes, these are factory locations, mine is from 1970 (ignition was moved to a sensible location quite a ways back).

20210128_213111.thumb.jpg.58028cab83bf883a0058d2b9f4407593.jpg

• Like 2

+1 for JPI close to the engine controls... because you will be looking at one while adjusting the other...

+1 for spare AI... for IMC...

Vernier controls to go with that...  precise control, because you can...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Why are some of you tending towards a standby AI? The whole purpose of the dual g5 is, to get rid of the vac system. With an electrical TC gyro that incorporates the autopilot, partial panel in an emergency should not be an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MV Aviation said:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Why are some of you tending towards a standby AI? The whole purpose of the dual g5 is, to get rid of the vac system. With an electrical TC gyro that incorporates the autopilot, partial panel in an emergency should not be an issue.

I believe folks are doing this because the TC isn’t a direct indication of attitude (it indicates change in bank angle, not bank angle...and “turn rate”) and if the AI fails in the soup, snapping right to another AI is safer then trying to control or fix attitude with TC,VSI, ASI.  That’s my take anyway. 

• Like 2

Go ahead and get rid of the vacuum system. Put in a electric AI from mid-continent, castle berry, or something cheap. 

Then get rid of the VSI as well. 

Moving from a failed AI to TC,VSI,ASI can save your life, but the complexity/workload is greatly increased. A second AI makes it a non-event. The ROI makes it an easy decision for most of us.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is, what I ended up doing ... 

EDM830 goes in the top right (I did not do the rectangular cutout for the 830, because I might exchange it for a 900 at some point) and the six pack layout is mirrored left to right so that my TC goes in the bottom right, airspeed above and alt + VS on the left.

And the USB ports go in the bottom left, below ignition and master. Let’s hope it all fits.
thanks for your advices!

8299D1E5-3B22-4624-8CAE-783DD4365F75.jpeg

• Like 1