Maxwell Interior

N205S

I've had my plane a year now and took it to Maxwell for it's first annual under my ownership. While there, they were able to take the 1987 original, cracked, and yellowed plastic side panels and wrap them in 3 different colors of ultra leather to match my 3 colors on the exterior. They also sent the glare shield and yokes off to Aerocomfort and had them wrapped as well. The carpets and seats were in good condition so I kept the originals. However, I'm considering getting the seats done in a chocolate brown colored leather in a diamond stitched pattern. Anyone go from cloth to leather seats and regret it?

Anyways, couldn't be happier with how the interior turned out so wanted to give a positive review.

Interior 1.JPG

Interior 2.JPG

Interior 3.JPG

Exterior 6.JPG

• Like 2

Wonderful!

I don't know if you have time to consider an adjustment to your order, but when I went from cloth to leather, I had the leather "perforated" (lots of tiny holes) at the back and it is really nice and breathable.  Also you can have things about the way the seats feel and fit changed by changing the layering of the foam and nature of the foam.  I had them use some memory foam, plus build up the lumbar support plus build up the length of the bottom cushions on the from seats since being tall I felt like they were too short and I was sort of perched on the end of them.  They feel completely different now.

E

• Like 1

Leather seats can be pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter until your butt warms up the memory foam.

As well, I know when they removed the cloth coverings from my seat frames there was a nice old man butt scent that came along with it.

You might want to consider a sheepskin cover. After one summer of flying in the northeast, I found that putting sheepskin covers on made a world of difference both in the summer and winter.

c05b86dee2556003f745382b61891e59.jpg

I’ve seen these seat covers come in different styles. A simple seat pad that is free floating, one that is sewn onto the front of the seats and the kind I have which are strapped onto the seats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Leather seats can be pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter until your butt warms up the memory foam.

As well, I know when they removed the cloth coverings from my seat frames there was a nice old man butt scent that came along with it.

You might want to consider a sheepskin cover. After one summer of flying in the northeast, I found that putting sheepskin covers on made a world of difference both in the summer and winter.

I’ve seen these seat covers come in different styles. A simple seat pad that is free floating, one that is sewn onto the front of the seats and the kind I have which are strapped onto the seats.

I am also very happy with the 'skins. Much cooler and soft.

When I first rented a plane with sheepskins, I thought it was the dumbest idea.  But they are superb.  Inexpensive, and as has been said cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.  I plan to put them in the Mooney some day soon.  Try Rocky Mountain Sheepskins in San Jose CA.

I pretty much understand the sheepskin fans; soft, comfortable in summer and winter.

What I can't understand is spending a fortune on an expensive, custom upholstery job in leather and THEN covering it up with sheepskin???

Heck just put a fresh set of sheepskins OVER the old seats and call it a day!  Back in the day, my aunt and uncle bought new couches and carpet for their house which they then proceeded to cover with clear vinyl!  It ended up getting dirty, yellowed, and looked like crap....but, boy after they died the 1980's couch and carpet looked like new!  Shame they never got to enjoy it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marauder said:

What color is yours? I thought i would like white but the picture shows very bleached white on their website. Are yours ivory?

I pretty much understand the sheepskin fans; soft, comfortable in summer and winter.
What I can't understand is spending a fortune on an expensive, custom upholstery job in leather and THEN covering it up with sheepskin???
Heck just put a fresh set of sheepskins OVER the old seats and call it a day!

The real benefit you’re missing is the new foam underneath the leather. I have comfortably flown 12 hours in a day, not something I could have done before I redid the interior. I use a towel on the seat most of the time since I usually fly in shorts, but that’s to protect the leather.
I’m not a fan of sheepskin covers, unless you have the fuzzy dice to go with it. ;-)

I never thought the sheepskin was attractive, and it just seemed like it would be hot and get soggy with sweat. 
I didn’t actually realize I liked them until I flew with them for a few months, then took them off. 
I missed them so much I put them back in and ordered some for my truck. 
they really do make the cold warmer and the hot cooler. 
I will have them in anything I fly now. 
they make any seat, more comfortable to me. 
to each their own. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Schllc said:

I never thought the sheepskin was attractive, and it just seemed like it would be hot and get soggy with sweat. 
I didn’t actually realize I liked them until I flew with them for a few months, then took them off. 
I missed them so much I put them back in and ordered some for my truck. 
they really do make the cold warmer and the hot cooler. 
I will have them in anything I fly now. 
they make any seat, more comfortable to me. 
to each their own. 

Im sold on this testament

On 1/28/2021 at 7:46 AM, Marauder said:

Maybe it’s been my experience in professional flying but not much smells worse than sheepskin. You simultaneously smell the sweat of the last 20 pilots. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Used sheepskin covers... AKA “pre-farted”.

When you know the previous owner had a diet rich in Sloppy Joe’s, time to toss the seat covers.  

I actually tried to dry clean and dye the covers gray to cover the strains on them.  Didn’t work.  They turned a weird purple color instead.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

Maybe it’s been my experience in professional flying but not much smells worse than sheepskin. You simultaneously smell the sweat of the last 20 pilots. 

I guess it would have a lot to do with how much someone sweats, or how much someone’s sweat smells..

I don’t sweat much and my sweat doesn’t really have an odor but in leather, even a little sweat just stays wet. With sheepskin it evaporates as you sweat so when you get out you’re dry. Also, they are very easy to remove and replace.
So every six months or so, I take them out, bring them home, and put them in the washer and dryer. 
ps, if you are sweating, you are sweating in the seat cover OR the seat....                  you can’t wash the seat cushion...  

12 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

I'm not sure 20 pilots have flown my plane since she left the factory in 1970. Certainly in the last dozen years it's been only 2 people in the left seat, and I heard no complaints about odors from my allegedly-smelly rear end . . . .

How many people fly your Mooney?