Looking for a M20 201J, opinions about speed breaks

Mooneyys Flo

17 hours ago, skykrawler said:

You must think me daft.  mk201turbo said " I can go fast, or I can descend fast, I can’t do both."    I have found it quite easy to do both.

I believe... with Mooneys, all things are possible...

I was reporting what is oft said around MS...

I also gave my input for having brakes...   sort of elevator DOWN! affect...

Maybe we should check in with Rich...

There is a possibility that some people avoid using a very low MP in flight...

Others have to lose a ton of altitude in their area of the Mooney world...

So many variables in the mix...

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

I believe... with Mooneys, all things are possible...

I was reporting what is oft said around MS...

I also gave my input for having brakes...   sort of elevator DOWN! affect...

Maybe we should check in with Rich...

There is a possibility that some people avoid using a very low MP in flight...

Others have to lose a ton of altitude in their area of the Mooney world...

So many variables in the mix...

Best regards,

-a-

My point was, high speed descents don’t give a very good descent profile. If you can get it down to approach speeds, throw out the gear and flaps, bring the power and prop back, it comes down pretty good. You can get almost the same descent rate at high speed, but you will be eating the miles twice as fast.

The 310 is Mooney like trying to get it to come down, The Seneca on the other hand descends like a brick, pull the power back a bit and it will come down at 1500 ft/min or better. The bosses B36TC is the same way. He likes to stay at pattern altitude till about 1 mile final, pull the power and make the runway. I tell him I can’t do that in the Mooney.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

I have speed brakes on my 68 F.  The gear extend speed = 104 kts and the flap extend speed = 108.  The speed brakes make these more manageable without pulling power back so much.  

I have also landed in windy conditions with speed brakes that allow you to keep the power up without increasing airspeed.

The plane feels heavier and loss likely to be blown around.

John Breda

I flew an F model and didn’t think speed brakes were necessary. When you pulled power the plane stopped flying. The J model is actually sort of unbelievably different, while it doesn’t float as bad as the long bodies, speed brakes are a very nice feature to have and make smooth landings very easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have flown K with speed breaks and J without, you may need them in K unless if you get sucked high in tight busy airspace (US Bravo or EU Alpha TMAs), on J you rarely need them

It’s mostly related to your typical flying levels: in K with turbo & above oxygen you could hit 30nm radar terminal area with 16kft to lose, in J at oxygen level you hit 30nm radar terminal area with 8kft to lose

However, it’s worth having “3D GPS capability” to manage cruise descent profile in a preventive way (of course we can do the maths but you or ATC are likely to forgot with tailwind to unfamiliar places), you can always call “ready for descent” very early and leave ATC to sort it, in some places they may think your Mooneys is pressurised TBM and your are ok with -2kfpm :lol:

Edited by Ibra

Some class Bs around NYC extend to 7k’ and GA isn’t always welcome to transition….

Not much of an issue if your airport is 30nm away…

More of a challenge when 20nm away…

Great to have speed brakes the closer you are to such a tall obstacle….

PP thoughts only…

-a-

• Like 1

Indeed, you need airbreaks down that, I think the closest equivalent around here would be some busy TMAs (Class Alpha) 

- Paris: you get “squeezed” into 1D flying between Orly & CharlesDeGaule runways on backcourse LOC/VOR before flying ILS to Toussus (LFPN) 

- London: you get “dumped” like a rock at Detling VOR near Rochester (EGTO) and left on your own like VFR 

PS: Rochester airport in UK, small grass runway, not Rochester Int airport in US ;)

58D82327-1BE3-4416-98C6-73996156F7EA.jpeg

3330E9F6-1B92-44BF-BB5C-6903451F32F7.jpeg

Edited by Ibra