Electroair Mag STC'd!

KSMooniac

Very intriguing... I'm anxious to hear some PIREPs.

http://electroair.net/index.php/products/stc/ignition-kit.html

From their FAQ:

18, If my engine has a dual magneto, how do I adapt my engine to use the EIS?

We use a split ring collar on the crank shaft for the electronic ignition timing pick-up. You can keep the dual mag install with one side capped off, or there are some single magnetos that will adapt to the dual mag hole.

I've never seen a single mag for the dual mag interface, but haven't really looked either.  That would be nice to reduce weight up front with such a setup.

this is excellent news for the discountined Dual mags. No worries about future maintenance support or parts availability.

Check out the CAFE reports on electronic ignition. I believe Electroair provided the test bed on a modified Mooney. A lot of great info including ROP and LOP operations with data.

JL,

Just as you described, they stay independent of each other.  Follow-up question is,  do you rearrange all top plugs to fire on one system and all bottom plugs to fire on the other, or leave them as they are (mixed)?

Lot's of questions.  Looking forward to their success.  I think there is much to gain.

-a-

Well, yes, that is exactly what my question is.  Does this system really change things that much if one plug in the cylinder is still firing on the old timing.  If the electronic system retards its ignition, the cyl. still fires at the original time on the other plug, and vice versa if the Electroair advances.  There will be two ignition events in each cylinder, per combustion event, and at two different points in time.  Maybe Electroair has that figured out in a way that overall timing is actually improved.  But it doesn't seem to me it is going to have the same effect as a full FADEC or fully electronic system would. 

The Vans guys have seen pretty large improvements. Variable ignition timing is a huge efficiency gain.  Yes the electroair will fire the plug much sooner at high altitude and lower loading.  The magneto fired plug is a redundant event, the fuel is already burning by that point.

This looks very interesting.  Even if the performance gains are minimal the added true redundancy is worth it for me.  We now get 1960's igntion tech instead of 1930's :-).  If all goes as planned I will install this kit when I do an OH in the next year or so.  Thanks for the info Scott!

Quote: KSMooniac

I noticed that, and can't imagine why that is in there!  Perhaps they only ran vibration surveys with McCauleys, or perhaps they tried Hartzells and they found something bad?  I'd be surprised if the ignition substantially altered any of the harmonics.

• 1 month later...

Electroair Announcement

EIS-41000 Electronic Ignition STC now updated to include Hartzell Propeller Installations!

Cardinal with Hartzell Test Prop

Electroair's Cardinal with Hartzell Test Prop

Howell, MI - Electroair and Hartzell Propeller completed testing of the Electroair electronic ignition with various Hartzell Propeller configurations.  After successfully completing a number of tests using two-bladed, three-bladed, and composite Hartzell propellers, the Electroair STC was updated to include aircraft using Hartzell propellers.  This expansion includes the addition of 4cyl powered Mooney Aircraft as well as many Pipers.  Electroair's lead engineer Josh Ratliff commented, "This in an excellent example of two industry leaders and the FAA working together for the advancement of General Aviation."

Electroair's updated Approved Model List (AML) can be found on their website Click Here

Electroair is continuing to work with industry to evaluate and add to its growing AML more aircraft models.  Announcements will be made when more aircraft are added to the AML. 

O-200 Electronic Ignition Kit Design Application Submitted/EASA Certification Process Begun

In other developments, Electroair announced that it has submitted to the FAA its Electronic Ignition design application for the venerable Continental O-200.  This ignition kit will be configured the same way as the Lycoming electronic ignition kit, replacing one magneto with the Electroair system and leaving one magneto behind.  The design application also included many of the 65's, 85's, 90's and so on, affectionately referred to as the "Baby Continentals".  Feedback from the field remains better performance, smoother running engine and better fuel economy. 

Electroair also reports that is has begun the process to obtain EASA Certification.  The initial application for an EASA STC has been submitted and work has begun on building the data and substantiation required.

Electroair will continue to provide progress reports via email and on the website as warranted.  Please contact Electroair directly if there are any questions.  To email Electroair, Click Here

Holiday Greeting

Electroair would like to take this opportunity to extend to everyone a Happy Holiday Greeting.  This has been a very good year for Electroair as we reached the first of many milestones by receiving an STC for electronic ignition system.  We are now able to make more of an impact in the General Aviation industry and in our own community.  We are glad to count you as our friend.

Best wishes for a Happy Holiday and Rewarding New Year!

Electroair

www.electroair.net

sales@electroair.net

(866) 494-3002

Product Image

© 2011 Electroair All Rights Reserved

I am curious about the how effective a electronic ignition is without a fuel and RPM reference.  While an ignition advance at altitude would be helpful, it's less than optimal without the ability to advance to control where the advance. Moreover, diferent mixture setting would have different requirements. For LOP ops would benefit from significantly more advance than would be possible ROP. With out a knock sensor, the potential for engine stress is greater. The system is capable of up to 60 BTDC, but my sense is that it only does so at extremely low MAPs. It sure would be nice if it was programable, and also allowed the redundant mag to have the ignition retarded to say 15 BTDC. This would make for more higher detonation margins on take-off while retaining the ability to run at higher power settings at altitude. I think it would be nice to have a system that would allow you to manually set ignition timing just like the old Ford model Ts. But again the potential for pilot induced detonation would be an issue... 

IIRC, they do use a MAP sensor to control the advance.  The papers on the CAFE website go into great detail about the functionality of the system.  Unfortunately, I don't think it would help a turbo or TN installation, and that is much higher up my wish list than such a system.  If it could sense MAP, fuel flow and RPM then it would indeed be wonderful.