Any Insulin Dependent Pilots?

V1VRV2

Know one of the at least six who got it, they worked through Bruce Chien.   Over the years he is the name that has always come up, no personal experience other then knowing he sorted a friends situation out (who is obviously very happy about it). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, Nick Pilotte said:

In addition to Dr Breda that chimed in above, I would recommend Dr Bruce Chien as well, even if for no more than a consult.  I used him for my SI and I couldn’t have done it without his guidance/services.  You can Google him, or go to his website: aeromedicaldoc.com. 

Good luck, my flight school owner has a T1D son who is/has been working on his Class 1 with hopes of becoming an airline pilot. It’s been a long road. 

Bruce Chien is my AME.  I’m not a difficult case, but who knows what the future holds… Great guy, knows how to get things done, and now that he has relocated to 1C5 from Peoria, he’s easy to get to with an airline flight to MDW.

-dan

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, Terry Moser said:

Make sure you average sugars are 80-180 80% of the time below 80 less than 4% and above 250 less than 5%.

I submitted my package April 2020 after numerous requests for updates I was denied December 31st and they took my Basic Medical away.

I was never told about the % requirements or I would have worked on my numbers the  sent them. I was told this is such a new program that there is no guidelines. (Bad info).

I’m on a Medtronics 670, going to switch to Dexcom as it seems true FAA prefers even though they say they are indifferent.

Good luck!!

Looking forward to hearing the your results.

Hi Terry…. If I can be of some assistance to you in obtaining your 1st class I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned. I found this posted online on one of the forums. It’s the first set of guidelines I have been able to find and found them by chance. This pic was posted by another pilot who received this letter. Everyone has been in the dark about BS limits. FAA should post up this info somewhere.4D724B6E-0769-4928-AD3D-EF2EC21DFE57.thumb.jpeg.be640f46a15931ad1d8bf19649da454e.jpeg

On 1/27/2021 at 6:44 PM, Terry Moser said:

• Like 2

Congrats V1!

The SI process has soooo many stumbling blocks…

Great to see you have cleared the hurdles.

Please keep sharing your methodology and experience…

So many FAA rules are ancient.  When they were written, there were no technologies to help people live with certain important disabilities…

Getting a Class I SI is quite an achievement!

I’m sure there can be improvements to the system… I’m celebrating every step along the way…  :)

PP with a class III SI thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I received my 1st class special issuance letter today! I will be going to my AME on Tuesday to give him a copy of the letter and walk out the door with my 1st class medical in hand! No limitations! 

It took 6mo to the day from application. Pretty quick I think for a special issuance but nevertheless a long process most of which is waiting and more waiting. The process takes it’s toll on ones ability to stay positive. You’re literally waiting for a decision that will change every aspect of your life. You want information from the FAA but it’s hard to come by.

Dr. Ritter, the Supervisory Medical Officer of the appeals branch, was very helpful. She is the person who will decide if you get your medical or not unless the case has to be signed off by Dr. Northrup the Federal Flight Surgeon which in my case it did. I could email Dr. Ritter directly and she would reply usually the same day. In addition to requesting documents through the regular channels at OKC which is done by registered mail she would email the requests to me which saved weeks of having to wait for the request in the mail and having to mail the requested paperwork back. I could email her the documents she requested directly. I still had to send a duplicate to OKC to be scanned into my file but this seemed secondary to fulfill an official requirment. It seems as soon as I emailed the documents Dr. Ritter got them where they needed to be without delay.

I hope to be flying for a living again soon! If anyone has any questions or needs guidance feel free to PM me.

E1732775-B928-4C52-8994-FA9B739B4FDA.jpeg

Edited by V1VRV2
  • Like 4

Congrats to @V1VRV2 !!   It certainly seems like an arduous process.  Modern technology has made insulin management in diabetics much more accurate and reliable. As a result, there are many insulin using type I and type II diabetics who deserve their medicals - however there are still many who are poor candidates, and they can be hard to distinguish at first glance.  But for folks who basically otherwise appear healthy, I do think the evaluation could be more focused and less intensive but still be just as effective in weeding out poor candidates. 

Hopefully the success in safe certification of insulin using diabetics leads the FAA to take a more nuanced look at cardiovascular disease, which accounts for a vast number of denied medicals. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just found an SIC job flying a Hawker 400XP! The process took 2 years but I’m back in the cockpit getting paid! I’m submitting my paperwork for 6mo renewal now. Shouldn’t be a problem. Blood sugar has been well within limits… except for that week in Vegas! I’m only human!

FEB6CA6F-43E9-4B7C-B035-AF8800E759A7.jpeg

• Like 8

Great update V1!

That is the best news ever…

Be prepared to share your success story for other MSers with a similar challenge.

So many things have changed recently…

knowledge, methods, equipment, devices, even the FAA….   :)

Thanks for sharing the great news!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Welcome aboard SI_1

let’s see if 

@V1VRV2

Is around….

Let me invite @M20F-1968 he may have some insight…

hmmmm…. Our friend @Deb is in Florida and may know the lay of the land down that way… 

What you are trying to do is very possible… lately.

Keep coming back to collect more info…

Some MSers take a few days away from the keyboard… every now and then… :)

Best regards,

-a-

Which Dexcom do you have…?

Like iPhones… they have been releasing about one new model each year…. They are getting better and better with each update…

https://www.dexcom.com/get-started-cgm/119?sfc=701f30000018vibAAA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyOuYBhCGARIsAIdGQRPyf8xz6JBO8V0D7hbrGYfJP7rbCbtNBxLrPTWgTD3wAYby6jsOgnQaAp6NEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

PP thoughts only, no medical background at all…

Best regards,

-a-

DEXCOM G6, is the one I have. Waiting for G7 but it will take same time. The CGM is one of the required one acceptable to the FAA. There is no problem regarding this. Just need an endocrinologist in Florida area, preferably 1-2 hr driving from Port Orange. But even if no one available, maybe the other endocrinologist would know someone nearby and could recommend one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am a student pilot with type 1 diabetes wondering what the testing guidelines are during flight operations. I mean, is it necessary to test on specific moments in flight, e.g. 30 minutes before landing?

I recently obtained my class 1 medical again after a very long process and cannot wait to start flying. 

Thank you for your help!

Greetings, Michael Peeters.

Welcome board Michael!

a class I medical as a student pilot?

Often, students begin with the Class III….

Either way… let’s get the conversation started…

Like how often do people test their sugar levels?

You can see the use of Dexcom sensors makes this testing a bit more routine…

Are you familiar with Dexcom? 

Best regards,

-a-