New Mooney Owner - 1984 M20J

Ryan ORL

Hey guys, I finally closed on my 1984 M20J today!

I've been wanting to get a Mooney for quite a long time, and finally managed to make it a reality :)

Thanks very much to the very helpful people in this community who helped me focus my search a bit, especially @gsxrpilot, who went out of his way to help me when I was just beginning my search.

I'm looking forward to all the adventures I'm going to have in my Mooney!  Now I just need to learn how to use this weird GNS480 :D 

6163FB3C-6A8A-46A9-BBD7-2C15B2DC1403.jpeg

D33EE891-E20E-4A0B-8E7B-A690B64304EF.jpeg

22B61004-E787-44CF-87B8-54B97A7C4C40.jpeg

4FA041BF-60CE-4DFD-B8A0-665A6DF4E7C4.jpeg

8DBB52F8-B4F4-4FF2-92C1-40B6BD66D26B.jpeg

• Like 14

Congratulations!

I traveled to see this aircraft about five years ago, and was blown away by how clean the owner kept the aircraft and the hangar. I'm pretty sure you could eat out of the wheel wells. And off the hangar floor. 

I think you'll really enjoy it.

57 minutes ago, Ross Statham said:

What a beautiful bird! Love the paint, and really like the avionics. She’s a real eyecatcher. Have you set any goals for what you want to do with her this year?

After I work out some minor bugs, plan to do several cross country flights with my wife... to see her family in Cincinnati, to New Orleans, and ultimately I’d really like to cross the CONUS coast to coast.

At some point soon I’ll also put a GDL-50R so I can ditch my portable ADS-B in (this has a 330ES), and further down the line I’d like to do a GTN750/GTX345 setup.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Seymour said:

Congratulations!  

...and I'll suggest the GNS480 user group (if you haven't joined already).   

https://gns480-users.groups.io/g/main/topics

Thanks!  I will check this out.  This GPS seems to have quite a dedicated following, from what I've seen by looking around.  It does have quite a lot of capability versus the 430W/530W series, but the UI is a bit complex :) 

30 minutes ago, Ryan ORL said:

Thanks!  I will check this out.  This GPS seems to have quite a dedicated following, from what I've seen by looking around.  It does have quite a lot of capability versus the 430W/530W series, but the UI is a bit complex :) 

The big advantage over the GNS units was native support for airways iirc.

5 minutes ago, toto said:

The big advantage over the GNS units was native support for airways iirc.

It has that, as well as the ability to program random holds on fixes, plus it supports all the types of more unusual legs you get on DPs/STARs, like heading to intercept radial, heading to altitude then direct, etc.

9 hours ago, Ryan ORL said:

After I work out some minor bugs, plan to do several cross country flights with my wife... to see her family in Cincinnati, to New Orleans, and ultimately I’d really like to cross the CONUS coast to coast.

At some point soon I’ll also put a GDL-50R so I can ditch my portable ADS-B in (this has a 330ES), and further down the line I’d like to do a GTN750/GTX345 setup.

I'd stick with the portable until you can put in the GTX345. Used 345s are starting to come up for sale. By the time you sell your 330ES you won't have a lot more into it that a GDL50R considering labor to install it. It's taken me awhile to figure this out, but it's a lot more cost effective to go in there once and do it right than to keep opening up the panel.

11 hours ago, Ryan ORL said:

Ryan, these are good goals.  One is similar to mine-- I have done two west to east (California to the southeast) trips where I bought aircraft in California and flew them east.  This year I am planning to fly the central Rockies route up to Washington and Oregon with another pilot buddy-- going to do a week long trip.   One thing to think about is taking a different route east than you do west.  My two east bound trips were superb-- some of my best memories flying.

I also like your avionics choices-- I have a GTN 650 and LOVE it.  Wish I had room in my panel for a 750!